Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM

33,280 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
I think many of the things Jesus affirmed and corrected in his day would still be relevant today. Man's heart has not changed much in 2000 years. Spiritually we suffer with the same temptations. The churches today are no different than those in Revelation. Overall, individually or collectively, I don't think his message would be much different now than it was then.
In point of fact, the seven churches of Asia in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 to which John was directed to write are representative of churches throughout the Church-age. The Bible Knowledge Commentary states the following.
There has been much debate as to the meaning of these messages for today. Obviously these churches were specially selected and providentially arranged to provide characteristic situations which the church has faced throughout its history. Just as Paul's epistles, though addressed to individual churches, are also intended for the entire church, so these seven messages also apply to the entire church today insofar as they are in similar situations. [The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 932]

Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Our definition of "groups" matters not. Only those few who are truly baptized with the Holy Spirit are Christians. The others belong or attend churches and may have been baptized by water but are none of His.
Translation: "People who think like me are Christians and the rest are not."

Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
It would be just as he expected.

Would he be pleased? I think someone earlier mentioned something about groups... no. It's person by person. He may be disappointed with many American Christians. He may be pleased with many Christians in the middle east who suffer for Him.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If Jesus suddenly came back to earth today, do you think he approve or disapprove of modern Christianity?
Do you think he's not aware of the current state of Christianity?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In point of fact, the seven churches of Asia in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 to which John was directed to write are representative of churches throughout the Church-age. The Bible Knowledge Commentary states the following.
There has been much debate as to the meaning of these messages for today. Obviously these churches were specially selected and providentially arranged to provide characteristic situations which the church has faced throughout its history. Just as Paul's epistles, though addressed to individual churches, are also intended for the entire church, so these seven messages also apply to the entire church today insofar as they are in similar situations. [The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 932]
Good point Mike.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
I'm guessing he'd be very surprised at how many Christians would be telling Him who's a Christian and who isn't.

"He's a Christian. She's not. That one went to a gay wedding so he's not. That one is a Catholic so obviously he isn't. She uses the wrong Bible so she's not. That one voted for Obama so you should send him to hell. Be sure you condemn my neighbor because he's in a rock band and is married to a woman I'm pretty sure is a feminist."

While Jesus looks at them and says, "So. Who did you feed while I was gone?

Last edited by june 7th; 07-17-2014 at 03:16 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times
I agree as Mankind hasn't changed in 2000 so years, He'd probably just say the same thing to this generation for the most part. Everything we need for instructions in righteousness and knowledge of salvation has been given.

The Bible makes it clear that God is allowing all of this apostasy to take place. The false teachers are ultimately God's judgment against a rejecting people. People going to hear what they want to hear to have their ears tickled confident and comfortable in their deception.

I think it's clear that God is not pleased with the mainstream Christianity but none of this comes to a surprise to Him.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM

63,848 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm guessing he'd be very surprised at how many Christians would be telling Him who's a Christian and who isn't.
"He's a Christian. She's not. That one went to a gay wedding so he's not. That one is a Catholic so obviously he isn't. She uses the wrong Bible so she's not. That one voted for Obama so you should send him to hell. Be sure you condemn my neighbor because he's in a rock band and is married to a woman I'm pretty sure is a feminist."
While Jesus looks at them and says, "So. Who did you feed while I was gone?
Ah Dew . . . Well done.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
I'm thinking that you probably wouldn't answer to Christ either if He came back to earth, because you likely wouldn't even recognize Him. In His day, He was largely unrecognized by the orthodox thinkers of the day who clung to the Levitical Code.

After all, some self-important busybody called out Christ's behavior in Mark as not being in keeping with the law, to which he said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." In that sense, you would likely be too busy trying to separate the world into Christians and non-Christians, arrogating to yourself the role that only He is to fulfill.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-17-2014 at 03:18 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
Apparently if you believe the Bible is the truth then you are considered to be someone who believes in a false religion because apparently we have people who lived during those times that actually witnessed what happened. How else can people be so sure that "literalists" are wrong? Osmosis?

I didn't realize people live for thousands of years.

We have real live accounts of Jesus right here. Maybe they know what he will think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity