Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:18 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times

Advertisements

When looking at a new topic on the CD Christian forum, I've found that one need only look at the list of "replies" (responders) on the summary page ... to know what is being said in most threads. Unfortunately, there are a large number of folks whose sole purpose seems to be to attack traditional Christianity and Bible beliefs ... while "trotting-out their own 'one-trick pony." That 'pony' is always and only about injecting the same 'drumbeat' responses to every question or issue: 1). God is only about love and nothing else matters; 2) Hell doesn't exist; 3) Everyone will ultimately be saved and spend eternity in heaven; 4). All churches are led by self-serving pastors who spread false doctrine; and 5) The Bible is an outdated book penned by superstitious ancients ... and unreliable for use today.

Some folks claim these are only "alternative Christian beliefs" or "interpretations," but, in truth, they are really only 'anti-Christian' attacks on the core tenants of Christianity. This is particularly evident when these are the ONLY positions espoused by the same list of posters... regardless of the issue or question. Yes, this is an 'Open Forum' and "people can say whatever they want to say," but, is it really? OR, has it been allowed to morph into an 'anti-Christian Forum' where people freely attack every Christian belief or tenant, without regulation? Perhaps this is a reflection of a society in which 'Christians' are considered 'fair game', yet, where there would be a huge 'politically correct' uproar if the same attacks were directed at Muslims, atheists, blacks, homosexuals or any other group.

In other forums, when Christian beliefs or tenants are brought into a secular discussion, there seems to be little hesitation to quickly declare the post "off topic" -- Why not here? In fact, it would not surprise me if this post were dis-allowed because it is standing-up for Christianity, rather than attacking it!

What do you think? Are you happy with the way things are going on this forum ... OR are you ready to turn it back into a 'Christian Forum', rather than a place to simply attack Christians and Christianity?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
When looking at a new topic on the CD Christian forum, I've found that one need only look at the list of "replies" (responders) on the summary page ... to know what is being said in most threads. Unfortunately, there are a large number of folks whose sole purpose seems to be to attack traditional Christianity and Bible beliefs ... while "trotting-out their own 'one-trick pony." That 'pony' is always and only about injecting the same 'drumbeat' responses to every question or issue: 1). God is only about love and nothing else matters; 2) Hell doesn't exist; 3) Everyone will ultimately be saved and spend eternity in heaven; 4). All churches are led by self-serving pastors who spread false doctrine; and 5) The Bible is an outdated book penned by superstitious ancients ... and unreliable for use today.

Some folks claim these are only "alternative Christian beliefs" or "interpretations," but, in truth, they are really only 'anti-Christian' attacks on the core tenants of Christianity. This is particularly evident when these are the ONLY positions espoused by the same list of posters... regardless of the issue or question. Yes, this is an 'Open Forum' and "people can say whatever they want to say," but, is it really? OR, has it been allowed to morph into an 'anti-Christian Forum' where people freely attack every Christian belief or tenant, without regulation? Perhaps this is a reflection of a society in which 'Christians' are considered 'fair game', yet, where there would be a huge 'politically correct' uproar if the same attacks were directed at Muslims, atheists, blacks, homosexuals or any other group.

In other forums, when Christian beliefs or tenants are brought into a secular discussion, there seems to be little hesitation to quickly declare the post "off topic" -- Why not here? In fact, it would not surprise me if this post were dis-allowed because it is standing-up for Christianity, rather than attacking it!

What do you think? Are you happy with the way things are going on this forum ... OR are you ready to turn it back into a 'Christian Forum', rather than a place to simply attack Christians and Christianity?

Are you talking about those on this forum that call themselves Christian but do not believe the way you think a Christian should believe , anti-Christians?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:40 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Here is a perfect example of why a large percentage of college-aged young people are dropping out of Christianity in droves: Christian intolerance of any views that challenge their own deeply-held dogmas based on the endless circular reasoning found in the Bible.

Many members here, like myself, in their long religious evolution, find themselves in between certain theologies--I, for example, find myself believing certain dogmas identified with Christianity, but also with deism. This fact causes me to question certain immovable beliefs that fundamentalists insist on rigidly hold onto, even in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary. If this is what jg is looking for in a Christian board I would suggest that such a board would turn into a sterile environment devoid of any kind of meaningful exchange of ideas really fast. I don't think the owners of City Data want this, and I certainly don't think they want it turning into a travesty like the Christian Forums.

Christians who find competing ideas threatening should look within themselves for solutions rather than being so insecure about their faith that they have to chase off people who merely offer alternative thoughts.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Apparently, you hold a specific view that those who believe differently than you are not Christians?
Perhaps, the core message has fallen on deaf ears; those who maintain an "us" and "them" mentality?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:45 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Apparently, you hold a specific view that those who believe differently than you are not Christians?
Perhaps, the core message has fallen on deaf ears; those who maintain an "us" and "them" mentality?
Indeed. This is why progressives like Bishop John Shelby Spong point out that traditional Christianity is dying.

Bishop John Shelby Spong, "Why Christianity as We Know It is Dying" - YouTube

Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
The apostle Paul was attacked for preaching grace, and you can bet he would be here too.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Not sure if it is an attack on Christians, so much as legitimate questions of either biblical interpretations or the wish of some Christians who want to ensure Christian principles that THEY believe in are reflected in a secular society.

Where there are controversial biblical passages that are quoted to justify a secular issue, you bet there is push back. As example, if the issue is prayer in public schools, you will always get a lot of push back.

If on the other hand, you virtually never see a lot of discussionon Psalms or Proverbs where there is much "anti-Christian" commentary.

So, basically, if it is truly only a theological issue, there is not a lot of push back, but as soon as it transcends into an issue that affects secular society, all bets are off.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 AM

63,787 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
::Sigh::Witnessing to a Christian view that embodies the love Christ demonstrated for us all . . . "No greater love . . ." . . . despite horrendous scourging and crucifixion is hardly anti-Christian. That you do not see the pre-eminence of love in Christ's Gospel and teachings (1 Cor 13, Galations 5, Sermon on the Mount) is the fault of the mainstream corruption of His Gospel . . . NOT anti-Christian beliefs. Your items 1,2,3 are very Christian beliefs in the love of God for us all. Your items 4 and 5 are misrepresentations of your own creation. Pastors are as much victims of the majority apostasy as their parishioners.

The Bible CONTAINS God-inspired truths (as for example about Christ the Living Word of God) . . . but NOT ALL of it is the inerrant infallible word of God. That is why we are told to properly divide the scriptures and to test the Spirit. Why would that be necessary if everything in it was truth? The lying pen of the scribes, the ignorance and superstitious beliefs about God of our ancestors, and the political agendas and vicissitudes of power and control shaped the current content of the Bible Canon. There is no way on earth that it is inerrant or infallible! That does not mean that it is not useful or that God is not true . . . nor does it mean Jesus is not true. Christ DOES abide with us . .. . of that I am absolutely certain. But not everyone believes that. They reject what is in their hearts because they reject the New Covenant that God has "written in our hearts." Their indoctrination tells them what SHOULD be in their hearts based on the "precepts and doctrines of men" based on words "written in ink."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Are you talking about those on this forum that call themselves Christian but do not believe the way you think a Christian should believe , anti-Christians?
Yes that is what he is saying. Any Christian who does not believe what he believes is anti-Christian. That is a far cry from the definition we were warned about . . . those who deny Christ.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:58 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
I agree with the OP. It's open season on Bible believing Christians. Heck, even those who call themselves Christian join in on the mocking fray. I've given up on any sort of fellowship here.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:01 PM

63,787 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I agree with the OP. It's open season on Bible believing Christians. Heck, even those who call themselves Christian join in on the mocking fray. I've given up on any sort of fellowship here.
That you want this to be a Bibleian forum is not the fault of Christians who prefer Christ as their standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity