Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

As Pope Francis prepares to celebrate his first Christmas at the Vatican, Americans' opinions of the pontiff appear to be as high as the dome on St. Peter's Basilica, according to a new survey.

A CNN/ORC International poll released Tuesday found that 88% of American Catholics approve of how Francis is handling his role as head of the 1.2 billion-member church.

CNN Poll: Pope's approval rating sky-high – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Everyone loves a nice guy. I haven't seen that Francis cares to be known for anything that actually differentiates a Christian from any of a number of other religions. He has not told anyone theyre wrong on anything.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Everyone loves a nice guy. I haven't seen that Francis cares to be known for anything that actually differentiates a Christian from any of a number of other religions. He has not told anyone theyre wrong on anything.
Hello Vizio.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Is it telling people they are wrong the thing that differentiates Christians from other religions? I do believe that Jesus said: "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35, NASB). Should that not be what differentiates Christians from " any of a number of other religions?"

Thanks.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Vizio.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Is it telling people they are wrong the thing that differentiates Christians from other religions? I do believe that Jesus said: "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35, NASB). Should that not be what differentiates Christians from " any of a number of other religions?"

Thanks.
Isn't that the truth!! And established Christianity wonders why people are in general leaving churches in droves.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Vizio.

Thanks.
Christianity is about more than being a nice guy. Yes...its indicative of a believer....but there is also a question of some doctrinal issues and moral issues. Jesus wasn't afraid to say something was wrong or immoral. This pope doesn't seem to be as concerned with that.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Christianity is about more than being a nice guy. Yes...its indicative of a believer....but there is also a question of some doctrinal issues and moral issues. Jesus wasn't afraid to say something was wrong or immoral. This pope doesn't seem to be as concerned with that.
Because wise people know if you focus on what's positive, that's what you are likely to find and promote.

The reverse - as you know more than most - is also true.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Because wise people know if you focus on what's positive, that's what you are likely to find and promote.

The reverse - as you know more than most - is also true.
And if you only focus on fluff, you have nothing of substance.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
And if you only focus on fluff, you have nothing of substance.
True. But Frankie is focusing on real issues, like tolerance and understanding and acceptance.

Which only appears to be "fluff" to those who focus on darkness, whose self-appointed job it is to promote fear and despair.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
True. But Frankie is focusing on real issues, like tolerance and understanding and acceptance.

Which only appears to be "fluff" to those who focus on darkness, whose self-appointed job it is to promote fear and despair.
While being nice is good--we need to help the needy--but being nice does not qualify one for entrance into heaven. I just prefer to focus on long-term things than the short-term.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
While being nice is good--we need to help the needy--but being nice does not qualify one for entrance into heaven. I just prefer to focus on long-term things than the short-term.
It matters not what your belief is when you breathe your last.

What matters is what you did while you breathed.

You'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity