Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times

Advertisements

Anyone can school me a little on them, I can read what they post, just like a little personal input or expereinces during recent times. So many denominations are changing stuff, so just asking,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,273 times
its safe.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Depends on the church. The denomination as a whole is growing more and more liberal. They do ordain women and place a higher emphasis on works. They tend to be a little legalistic.

All in all...there are worse churches to go to. They are hardly a cult that will try to recruit you.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Here are their beliefs. Articles of faith, etc.

Church of the Nazarene - Beliefs

from my experience.
Years, years, and more years ago I attended a couple services with a girlfriend. Seems they have open confession. She would go to the front of the church, fall face down on the step leading up to the stage, and publicly state her sins of the past week and ask for and receive forgiveness.....then got a good strong beating from her mom when they went home.

Happened every time I went with her. Finally our friendship was ended by my parents because of my friends (confessed?) behavior throughout the week

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-01-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Depends on the church. The denomination as a whole is growing more and more liberal. They do ordain women and place a higher emphasis on works. They tend to be a little legalistic.

All in all...there are worse churches to go to. They are hardly a cult that will try to recruit you.
I met the lady with lipstick, short hair, jewelry, and always though this is not allowed? I saw they do have female pastors. They profess the gifts of the Spirit with emphasis on the fruits,,, however, they seem not to like tounges...? I guess only way to know is to go. I always thought they were heavy legalistic churches, like some pentacostals and apostolics.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,056 times
From may experience with them, they tend to be a little more legalistic than most conservative Churches in their emphasis of what they consider "purity." While this should be a goal for and Christian, I think its not a good direction for a Church especially if they are trying to reach new believers. There are many ideas of purity in conservative Christianity that don't make sense to non-Christians (and some progressive Christians ;p ) and if this is stressed in a legalistic way from the getgo rather than trying to develop their relationship with God, it can alienate more than it converts. When normal Christians stumble, it can also make it harder for them to go back to Church if there isn't a solid "come as you are" mindset at the Church. Aside from that, they are a pretty safe denomination.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,819 times
I grew up in the Nazarene church. My church and my mom (God rest her soul) was very conservative. They (Nazarene's split off from the Methodist Church because the Methodist Church was too "liberal.") We had a family join where the girls wore long dresses and didn't cut their hair...) that was not the norm in our church.

Also, remember dancing not accepted back then.

I am non-denominational now. Just give me a Holy Spirit filled church that follows the Holy Bible, I'm happy. I don't need man's rules (legalistic) to get in the way of grace.

I'm not saying the Nazarene Church is that way. I just haven't attended the Nazarene Church as an adult. Loved it as a kid, though. Children's Church rocked!!! (Simpler time...)

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
I grew up in the Nazarene church. My church and my mom (God rest her soul) was very conservative. They (Nazarene's split off from the Methodist Church because the Methodist Church was too "liberal.") We had a family join where the girls wore long dresses and didn't cut their hair...) that was not the norm in our church.

I am non-denominational now. Just give me a Holy Spirit filled church that follows the Holy Bible, I'm happy. I don't need man's rules (legalistic) to get in the way of grace.

I'm not saying the Nazarene Church is that way. I just haven't attended the Nazarene Church as an adult. Loved it as a kid, though. Children's Church rocked!!! (Simpler time...)
Boy do I remember those days..... actually it was the early eighties that I began my experience with the Church of the Nazarene. Time before from what I understand they were pretty strict and did not believe in lipstick, jewelry, and etc.
I can remember going to family camp and the girls/women did not swim with the boys/men that was a definite no, no, LOL !!

They were pretty strict in many things. Oh, yeah they still don't accepted dancing as far as I know.... but they have come a long ways !! And have changed about a lot of things from what they use to believe.....

They definitely believe in teaching holiness (John Wesley movement) ! They are a Bible believing, teaching church !!

As far as tongue speaking I've never known them to teach it was wrong at least the Pastors I have associated with never taught it was wrong.... they do believe it is a personal experience with the individual with God. So they never encouraged or did it during time of worship service as one can experience in some Pentecostal churches !!

It is really a good church and am glad to be a part of what they believe and teach and that is doing the will of God with all your heart, amen !!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post

I would LOVE to find a non dem church that was non political,, here preaching the political agenda has won over preaching Jesus, they are large dead churches with lots of lights and sounds but NO WORD- LOVE or ANNOITING... so Ill visit and see how it goes,,

Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would LOVE to find a non dem church that was non political,, here preaching the political agenda has won over preaching Jesus, they are large dead churches with lots of lights and sounds but NO WORD- LOVE or ANNOITING... so Ill visit and see how it goes,,
Try Calvary Chapel --They are national, non-denominational, Christ-centered, Bible-based, Spirit-filled and almost entirely expositional in their teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity