Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

With just over a month to go before Christmas, the Pope has declared that the presence of animals like cattle and donkeys in traditional Nativity scenes is based on little more than a myth.

Nativity donkeys and cattle are a myth, says Pope - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:47 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
With just over a month to go before Christmas, the Pope has declared that the presence of animals like cattle and donkeys in traditional Nativity scenes is based on little more than a myth.

Jesus was born in a caravansary.

Luk_2:7 And she brought forth her Son, the firstborn, and swaddles Him, and cradles Him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the caravansary."

In the verse above there was a building attached to the caravansary where people could stay. A "manger" is like a box of hewn stone in which food for animals was placed. Therefore, it only makes sense He was born amongst animals. Being born in a manger has dual significance: He was to be food for creation; life giving sustenance.

A caravansary is where the people stored their donkeys, camels etc. after travelling all day. It is where they let the load off their animals and bedded them down for the night. Mary and Joseph, if they rode to Jerusalem on a donkey, which they most likely rode on since Mary was parturient with Jesus Luk_2:5 "to register together with Miriam, his espoused wife, who is parturient," (or great with child) would not have walked the journey, put their donkey in the caravansary to bed it down for the night.

Since there was no room anywhere for them to sleep for the night, Mary and Joseph bedded down in the caravansary with the animals.

At the end of Jesus' life he ate His last supper in a room of a caravansary where He let off the load of His impending death:

Mar_14:14 And wheresoever he may be entering, say to the householder that 'The Teacher is saying, "Where is My caravansary, where I may be eating the passover with My disciples?'"

Luk_22:11 And you will be declaring to the householder of the house, saying, 'The Teacher is saying to you, "Where is My caravansary where I may be eating the passover with My disciples?'"

It is only fitting that the King of the universe would be born in such a humble setting amongst God's beloved animals and would end His career amongst God's beloved animals.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 AM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus was born in a caravansary.

Luk_2:7 And she brought forth her Son, the firstborn, and swaddles Him, and cradles Him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the caravansary."

In the verse above there was a building attached to the caravansary where people could stay. A "manger" is like a box of hewn stone in which food for animals was placed. Therefore, it only makes sense He was born amongst animals. Being born in a manger has dual significance: He was to be food for creation; life giving sustenance.

A caravansary is where the people stored their donkeys, camels etc. after travelling all day. It is where they let the load off their animals and bedded them down for the night. Mary and Joseph, if they rode to Jerusalem on a donkey, which they most likely rode on since Mary was parturient with Jesus Luk_2:5 "to register together with Miriam, his espoused wife, who is parturient," (or great with child) would not have walked the journey, put their donkey in the caravansary to bed it down for the night.

Since there was no room anywhere for them to sleep for the night, Mary and Joseph bedded down in the caravansary with the animals.

At the end of Jesus' life he ate His last supper in a room of a caravansary where He let off the load of His impending death:

Mar_14:14 And wheresoever he may be entering, say to the householder that 'The Teacher is saying, "Where is My caravansary, where I may be eating the passover with My disciples?'"

Luk_22:11 And you will be declaring to the householder of the house, saying, 'The Teacher is saying to you, "Where is My caravansary where I may be eating the passover with My disciples?'"

It is only fitting that the King of the universe would be born in such a humble setting amongst God's beloved animals and would end His career amongst God's beloved animals.
I check several translations and here's what Luke 2:7 states: (King James)

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

Folks, don't even believe half these folks when they supposedly quote scripture. They don't even get the quote right when it's a simple copy and paste. Always confirm the bible verse. Eusebius's post is just another attempt at showing the Pope is wrong and teaching something false. Not surprising coming from him. Why does one do this. Fear. Fear that one is completely in the wrong place. Jesus's church awaits him and Eusebius just shuns Jesus. Very sad.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,528 times
This could be good news as the pope appears to actually be reading the bible.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
So the cows and , or donkey were still in the field and Mary used the hay manger for Jesus , because there was no room in the inn`.. ... Then the shepherds in the field who where keeping watch over their flock by night , and seen and heard a multitude of angels Praising God , ..So the shepherds left their sheep in the field and went to see Baby Jesus ...Is this the Bible that the Pope has....

Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Just another lie to add to Catholicism. Catholicism is not Christianity. While the Roman Catholic Church continues to pronounce a curse to hell, or “anathema,” upon those who would reject the authority of the pope, the scriptures say that the curse is for those who would teach a different gospel, like Catholicism. (Galatians 1:8-9)

Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
There wasn't a drummer boy, either.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I check several translations and here's what Luke 2:7 states: (King James)

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

Folks, don't even believe half these folks when they supposedly quote scripture. They don't even get the quote right when it's a simple copy and paste. Always confirm the bible verse. Eusebius's post is just another attempt at showing the Pope is wrong and teaching something false. Not surprising coming from him. Why does one do this. Fear. Fear that one is completely in the wrong place. Jesus's church awaits him and Eusebius just shuns Jesus. Very sad.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. But really, I don't have anything to fear.

Here is a question for you: If Jesus was born in a manger, why would there be no animals around Jesus since mangers are to, (drum roll) feed animals? They didn't put the manger in the front lobby of the Hilton Inn you know. The Pope was not there when Jesus was born so how could he possibly know there were no animals around Jesus when He was born? Why would you trust the head of one of the largest financial corporations to tell you the truth anyway?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There wasn't a drummer boy, either.
or Santa Claus.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Just a few thoughts.

Just speaking as somebody who grew up on a farm. If it is the time of year when the animals are out to pasture or grazing in the fields. The Barns, Stables and mangers are not used. that is the time of year the shepherds, cattle Drovers and other hands get to sleep out doors a lot as they tend to the herds.

According to the Bible the Shepherds were out tending their flocks. Which means it was a grazing time of the year and live stock would not have been stabled or housed. But be far from the city and grazing much like cattle and sheep are raised out here in ND. No housing except in the winter time.

Another thought:

From a source other than the Pope and appears not to be a Catholic source.

Quote:
Clearly the city of Jesus' birth was Bethlehem as Micah 5:2 prophesied and as the Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John confirm. (See Matthew 2:1,5-6,8,16; Luke 2:4,15; John 7:42) "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." (Micah 5:2) Luke proclaims the birth place as Bethlehem, "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." 1 Samuel 17:15, confirms Bethlehem as the City of David, "But David went and returned from Saul to feed his father's sheep at Bethlehem." But where in Bethlehem was Jesus born? The fact is that the New Testament does not mention the exact place in Bethlehem of where Jesus was born nor does the Bible record that Jesus was born in stable attended by donkeys, chickens, and cows as many nativity scenes present? All the New Testament says is that there was no room in the inn and that Jesus was lain in a manger in Bethlehem. The New Testament does not mention a stable or that Jesus was born in the back of an inn. The actually place of Jesus' birth was not certainly not a accident, but was a sign given 700 years earlier which predicted where He would be born.
SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity