Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 11:28 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,925,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy
In West Virginia, it became legal to buy liquor on Sunday in May of 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Well, better late than never. As I see it, the blue laws are a violation of separation of church and state.
Some, even many, would not agree with you. I suspect that EscAlaMike, strangely absent from this thread, would disagree with you. In fact. I'd love to hear his views on a few issues that I've brought up regarding this topic. Any chance of that, Mike?

Anyway, for one, the separation of Church and state is not of 'divine origin' but is rather a man-made concept. It's rather ironic, in fact, that so many Christians will automatically jump to the defense of the first amendment while having little to no interest in defending God's 7th-day Sabbath command.

For two, many Christians believe that the general moral decline of our society today is due to God having been rejected or neglected. Do any of you disagree? Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 05:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,181,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Some, even many, would not agree with you. I suspect that EscAlaMike, strangely absent from this thread, would disagree with you. In fact. I'd love to hear his views on a few issues that I've brought up regarding this topic. Any chance of that, Mike?

Anyway, for one, the separation of Church and state is not of 'divine origin' but is rather a man-made concept. It's rather ironic, in fact, that so many Christians will automatically jump to the defense of the first amendment while having little to no interest in defending God's 7th-day Sabbath command.

For two, many Christians believe that the general moral decline of our society today is due to God having been rejected or neglected. Do any of you disagree? Your thoughts?
moral decline comes through onset of materialism starting
with kindergarten, our modus vivendi.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 AM

33,326 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:

You and your Sabbath obsession!

As for separation of church and state, you can't impose your religious beliefs and practices on people who don't share your religious beliefs. But the blue laws do exactly that if or when they are enforced by not allowing non-Christians to buy alcoholic drinks before noon, or not at all on Sunday. It's religious tyranny.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-28-2022 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-28-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
You and your Sabbath obsession!
Cool it, brother. You'll get a headache with your

Anyway, I don't have an obsession with the Sabbath. I don't even keep it. Nor do I 'keep' Sunday or any day. As I've previously explained, I'm merely responding both to the OP's question using the Bible as my guide as well as to the contents of the posts of others. I didn't start the thread but merely jumped in with what I believe to be the facts surrounding the abrogation of the 7th-day Sabbath by the Roman Catholic Church to that of the bogus RCC implemented 'sabbath'. Check the history surrounding this issue for yourself if you care to. You don't need to take my word for it. Moreover, its a good topic to get one'/s teeth into so ...why not do so?

When it comes to 'the 7th-day Sabbath' as per the 4th-command of the Big Ten, that particular period each week is Friday sunset until Saturday sunset. It has nothing to do with Sunday. The majority of Christians believe that it does. They are wrong. Okay? Tell me, why do you and others simply brush that command aside but then become so militant with your/their obsession to defend a day that, history tells us, was installed by the Roman Catholic Church and thus forevermore followed by the Protestant Church?

Quote:
As for separation of church and state, you can't impose your religious beliefs and practices on people who don't share your religious beliefs. But the blue laws do exactly that if or when they are enforced by not allowing non-Christians to buy alcoholic drinks before noon, or not at all on Sunday. It's religious tyranny.
Yes, I agree with you on this but wasn't the USA founded on biblical principles? The early law-makers were clearly attempting to do so when the so-called 'blue laws' were introduced. No one adheres to them anyway so why get so hot under the collar?

Old 01-28-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Cool it, brother. You'll get a headache with your

Anyway, I don't have an obsession with the Sabbath. I don't even keep it. Nor do I 'keep' Sunday or any day. As I've previously explained, I'm merely responding both to the OP's question using the Bible as my guide as well as to the contents of the posts of others. I didn't start the thread but merely jumped in with what I believe to be the facts surrounding the abrogation of the 7th-day Sabbath by the Roman Catholic Church to that of the bogus RCC implemented 'sabbath'. Check the history surrounding this issue for yourself if you care to. You don't need to take my word for it. Moreover, its a good topic to get one'/s teeth into so ...why not do so?

When it comes to 'the 7th-day Sabbath' as per the 4th-command of the Big Ten, that particular period each week is Friday sunset until Saturday sunset. It has nothing to do with Sunday. The majority of Christians believe that it does. They are wrong. Okay? Tell me, why do you and others simply brush that command aside but then become so militant with your/their obsession to defend a day that, history tells us, was installed by the Roman Catholic Church and thus forevermore followed by the Protestant Church?

Yes, I agree with you on this but wasn't the USA founded on biblical principles? The early law-makers were clearly attempting to do so when the so-called 'blue laws' were introduced. No one adheres to them anyway so why get so hot under the collar?
You've been told repeatedly that the Sabbath command was given only to Israel. It wasn't given to the Gentiles of that day unless a Gentile was sojourning with the Jews, and it wasn't given to the church. That's why that command is ''brushed aside.''

You've also been shown that the early church worshipped on Sunday long before the Roman Catholic church, long before Constantine was even born. I've shown you before, perhaps on this very thread, the statements from two or three early church writings pertaining to that fact. So don't pretend that we haven't been over this before.

You're the one taking a militant position defending a command that doesn't even apply to the church.

Nor am I getting hot under the collar for bringing up the issue of the blue laws.

And don't expect me to keep going over the same things with you over and over.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:26 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,496,576 times
Quote:
You've been told repeatedly that the Sabbath command was given only to Israel. It wasn't given to the Gentiles of that day unless a Gentile was sojourning with the Jews, and it wasn't given to the church. That's why that command is ''brushed aside.''

You've also been shown that the early church worshipped on Sunday long before the Roman Catholic church, long before Constantine was even born. I've shown you before, perhaps on this very thread, the statements from two or three early church writings pertaining to that fact. So don't pretend that we haven't been over this before.

You're the one taking a militant position defending a command that doesn't even apply to the church.

Nor am I getting hot under the collar for bringing up the issue of the blue laws.

And don't expect me to keep going over the same things with you over and over.
You are a legalistic, the only point is Gentiles joining Israel and they did for 100 years until they went back to paganism.

You act as if the venerable day of the sun isnt accepted, then you arent in God's religion.

The whole point is for two people to become one people, and that is impossible when one is God's ways, and one is.pagan. Israel cannot be joined to people against God's sabbaths. You havent joined God's people, you are their enemy.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
But, but ...it makes absolutely no sense whatever to merely replace one day with another and arrive at the same place. Christians ARE keeping a day of rest and worship and, as long as they are, then WHY NOT keep the day asked of you? Why fight this in the manner that many Christians do?

Quote:
And, as I've mentioned before (and if I haven't I do so now), I have no interest in what the post-Bible Christians may or may not have done. What does this have to do with scripture? There is no way possible to change the Creation story and the final day of rest, a day that was blessed and sanctified and incorporated in commandments that are carved into stone and just as applicable to we of today as they were to the Jews. Who cares what the early Christians chose to do? They were not God and they should not be our guide in this matter.

Quote:
Does 'thou shalt not commit adultery' apply to 'the church'? How about murder and theft, etc? What do we do with the other 9? There are 10, y'know. Don't any of them apply to the church? Why only the 4th-command? We know why, don't we? That command was tampered with, not by Jesus or by any other Bible luminary, but by man. The Evangelical Christian Church could never admit to being wrong to its millions of congregates. It's too late. Can you imagine the mass exodus from the church if they admitted to this? "What else has the church gotten wrong?" they would ask. Better then to stand their ground and defend 'Sunday' the best they can.

Quote:
Well, you did seem to be getting heated up over them. You referred to them as 'tyrannical'.

Anyway, if there are those who are not familiar with blue laws, below are some. Try not to laugh. This is serious stuff! Sorry for the temporary derail from the main topic but here they are:

https://blog.nationwide.com/weird-tr...laws-by-state/

Alabama – No driving while blindfolded

Alaska – It’s illegal to tie a dog to your car roof

Arizona – It’s against the law to drive a car in reverse on a public road

Arkansas – Don’t honk your car horn anywhere that serves cold drinks or sandwiches after 9 p.m.

California – It’s against the law for women to drive in a housecoat

Colorado – It’s illegal to drive a black car on a Sunday in Denver

Connecticut – A fire engine should not exceed 25 m.p.h. – even on the way to a fire

Delaware – You should not change clothes in your vehicle

Florida – By law, you must feed the parking meter if you tie an elephant, goat or alligator to it

Georgia – It’s illegal to spit from a car or bus, but it’s OK to spit from a truck

Hawaii – It’s against the law for any vehicle in motion to use its hazard lights

Idaho – Anyone over age 88 is forbidden to ride a motorcycle in Idaho Falls

Illinois – It’s illegal to drive a car without a steering wheel

Indiana – It’s against the law to sell cars on Sundays

Iowa – In Mount Vernon, it’s illegal to throw a Red Ryder onto the highway

Kansas – You can’t transport dead poultry in this state

Kentucky – It’s illegal for your pet to molest a vehicle in Fort Thomas

Louisiana – A woman’s husband is required by law to wave a flag in front of her car before she can drive it

Maine – It’s illegal to buy a car on a Sunday

Maryland – It’s a crime to swear from a vehicle in Rockville

Massachusetts – You cannot drive with a gorilla in your backseat

Michigan – It’s against the law to sit in the middle of the street and read a newspaper

Minnesota – You’re a public nuisance if you drive a truck in Minnetonka that leaves mud, dirt or sticky substances on the road

Mississippi – In Oxford, it’s illegal to honk your horn because it might scare nearby horses

Missouri – You can’t honk someone else’s car horn

Montana – Unless you have a chaperone, it’s illegal to have sheep in your truck

Nebraska – By law, drivers on mountains should drive with caution near the right edge of the highway, even though there are no mountains in Nebraska

Nevada – It’s illegal to ride a camel on the highway

New Hampshire – It’s against the law to inhale bus fumes with the intent of inducing euphoria

New Jersey – Frowning at a police officer is against the law here

New Mexico – It’s illegal for cab drivers to reach out and pull potential customers into their taxis

New York – It’s against the law to disrobe in your car in Sag Harbor

North Carolina – It’s illegal to play in traffic

North Dakota – You’re breaking the law when you put a penny in an automatic parking ticket machine

Ohio – It’s illegal to run out of gas in Youngstown

Oklahoma – It’s illegal to read a comic book while driving

Oregon – By law, you must yield to pedestrians when driving on the sidewalk

Pennsylvania –When driving on a country road at night, you must stop every mile and set off flares or other warning signals and then allow 10 minutes for livestock to clear the road

Rhode Island – It’s illegal to ride a horse on a highway for the purpose of racing or testing the speed of the horse

South Carolina – It’s unlawful to store trash in your vehicle in Hilton Head

South Dakota – You only need to be 14 years old to get your license in South Dakota

Tennessee – It’s illegal to shoot any game other than whales from a moving vehicle

Texas – You must have windshield wipers to register a car, although having a windshield is optional

Utah – By law, birds have the right of way on all highways

Vermont – It’s illegal for cars to backfire in Rutland

Virginia – Women are prohibited from driving a car on Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag

Washington – A motorist with criminal intentions must stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town

West Virginia *- It’s legal to eat road kill

Wisconsin – It’s against the law for a person to ride a bicycle with their hands off the handlebars

Wyoming – By law, you must close a gate crossing over a road, river, stream or ditch or you risk a $750 fine

Blue Laws, folks. Now, wasn't ^ worth a temporary derail?

Old 01-29-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
moral decline comes through onset of materialism starting
with kindergarten, our modus vivendi.
Well, there you go, the love of money. I think you will find that obsession towards materialism is a biblical no-no and is therefore a rejection of God.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
But, but ...it makes

Go away Romulus and take your obsession with you.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:18 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,450,173 times
I keep the Sabbath by resting in Christ, knowing that He did it all for me and it is finished. That is what the Sabbath points to. You weren't allowed to do any work on the Sabbath day. In like manner, I have obtained a righteousness imputed to me that is not my own but His. My own works are completely excluded, and there is nothing I can do to lose my salvation.

As for those who insist on carnal Sabbath observance, Paul had some disapproving things to say.

Col 2:16-17:
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity