Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 PM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow believers, I usually post in some of the other forums, but I have a question I'm hoping some of you can answer. There are people I know who always seem to stick up for the wrong doing of others. I am not talking about groups such as the ACLU here. I totally have no respect for that organization at all. No, I am just speaking of everyday folks I happen to know. So, my question is: Does the bible warn us about doing that? It just seems to me that it should, but I can't seem to find scripture concerning this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
The ones that come to my immediate mind are 1 Corinthians 5, and Romans 1:28-32.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Default good question....

I had to search... and I remembered that light exposes sin... but darkness covers up sin. I inserted words for clarity:

John 3:18-20
Context
3:18 The one who believes in him is not condemned (the saint or believer). The one who does not believe has been condemned already
(the wicked = worldly people), because he (they) has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God. 19 Now this is the basis for judging: that the light has come into the world, and people (wicked) loved the darkness rather than the light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who does evil deeds hates the light and does not come to the light, so that their deeds will not be exposed.

Defending immoral behaviors is an attempt to "darken" the light, which exposes sin.

Did I get the verses you were looking for?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Good points, Dave_n_Tenn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
The ones that come to my immediate mind are 1 Corinthians 5, and Romans 1:28-32.
1 Corinthians 5 is a good one, WCRob. I also thought of those verses in Romans:

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Many people are not willing to call sin sin, because they don't want to give it up in their own life. "Let's just all be tolerant of each other, and love each other the way we are." Dangerous deceptive thinking....

Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
When I read this post, I immediately thought of a scripture saying that in the last days men would see right as wrong and wrong as right. I've been looking for it, but have been unable to find it. Is it not scriptural? I was sure it was. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
When I read this post, I immediately thought of a scripture saying that in the last days men would see right as wrong and wrong as right. I've been looking for it, but have been unable to find it. Is it not scriptural? I was sure it was. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?
Were you thinking of these verses?
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Could be, but I really don't think so. It does follow the same idea, but I think the wording is closer to what I had in my above post. I don't know, maybe I dreamed it.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Could be, but I really don't think so. It does follow the same idea, but I think the wording is closer to what I had in my above post. I don't know, maybe I dreamed it.
Isaiah 5:20 mentions people calling good "evil" and "evil" good, but I don't think it mentions the last days. (Don't have a Bible with me, so I'm limited on looking up.)

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM

261 posts, read 621,556 times
Is it this verse? Scroll to the bottom.

1But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

2 Timothy 3:12-17

Listen to this passage

12In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Isaiah 5:20 mentions people calling good "evil" and "evil" good, but I don't think it mentions the last days. (Don't have a Bible with me, so I'm limited on looking up.)
Yes, KayKay, that's it. The start of the verse states: "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity