Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM

294 posts, read 191,887 times

Advertisements

The Law is like a mirror.
It is for us to look into and SEE that we have ALL fallen short, and need His forgiveness and salvation given freely to us through grace.

And as Paul said:
"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."

As is often the case with opponents of the Christian faith, they erroneously think Jesus stated that the Law is no longer applicable. When he never said that at all.

He expanded on the Law, showing that the LETTER OF THE LAW is not NEARLY as important as the INTENT OF THE LAW. But that ultimately the Law will not and can not save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
The Law is like a mirror.
It is for us to look into and SEE that we have ALL fallen short, and need His forgiveness and salvation given freely to us through grace.
Exactly, a school master.

The problem is we don't (won't) get that mirror out of our face, and focus on Him.

Let's see, scripture tells us to magnify our condition (nope, magnify the Lord); looking unto flesh (nah, looking unto Jesus); hope thou in the arm of the flesh (wow - hope thou in God)...and we know that what we focus on, we become - so to change we focus on the thing that we don't want to be - makes no sense. But we still do it, why?

Because we're still eating from the wrong Tree. The first sin is the one that stuck.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
I see this question (list of sins) as having its root in the original sin... the eating of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. Since eating that fruit, man is consumed with whether his (and others) good will outweigh the evil. But that is not the scorecard God is keeping. God's scorecard is "is there sin in you or not?" We all fail that one. Except for the one who came, lived among us, was tempted in every way that we are, yet WITHOUT SIN.

That one without sin then BECAME SIN, on the cross, on our behalf. Now when faced with the question above, it is not a scorecard of "does my good outweigh my bad" but one of "my scorecard is now erased. I no longer have to count my bad, or worry that it is bad enough to outweigh my good." Jesus has put his "score" on me and has given me LIFE.

Back to the garden, the tree of LIFE that we are supposed to be eating from. Counting sins, labeling sins, worrying about sins.... all a fruit of that original bad fruit.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice35 View Post
I know a couple who drink beer like water, smoke pot, and the wife curses more than the husband does. The never use God's name in vain in their profanity.

Are these sins in the eyes of God?
If they are, then they are committing these sins on a daily basis, but the family goes to church every week and never miss church, carry a Bible to church, etc.

I am sure in my mind that crimes against people like stealing, killing, etc. are sins.

Pot, beer, and cursing seems to be ok for this family.
Beer different than liquor?
I'm confused by what I see with this family.

Does something have to be against the laws of a state, or country, to be a sin?

What is a complete list of sins in the eyes of God?
I don't know if you felt you were getting helpful responses, but I found you a list.

SIN LIST

I hope it is what you wanted. I just sensed that you weren't being helped by such things as "10 Commandments" or a few single verses being quoted, or a poster's interpretation of what something meant.

There are probably other lists that vary from this one.

(Personally, I LIKE beer.)

Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I think I understand where PCamps is standing - the covenant (all that concerns our walk with God) is given on a faith basis. The view of sin is law based, and the promise is not given through the Law, but through grace. (Rom 4)

Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Pcamps, being a sinner is not unawareness of your righteousness. Being a sinner is because your not righteous. It takes OBEDIENCE to the LAW of GOD to be righteous.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

There is nothing in the scriptures that show that you can see yourself in a righteous light and that will make you magically righteous. It doesn't work that way. After all many DID see themselves as righteous. The PHARISEES should come to mind. But Jesus showed they were not.

Jesus said:

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Doing the WILL of the Father is that obedience to righteousness that Paul spoke of.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Here I found a nice listing of all sins from the Old Testament.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18.
Again, pcamps were sinners and have to do the will of the Father in order to be deemed "righteous". Anything less is SIN.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Again, pcamps were sinners and have to do the will of the Father in order to be deemed "righteous". Anything less is SIN.
Whatever is not of faith is sin.

It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Jesus Christ is who we really are ( not a man with a beard). The filthy rag concept of the sin conscious is not who we are. Jesus Christ never spoke to the world by this filthy rag concept that had Empowered the mind of man, it was that concept how man saw himself that kept him enslaved to sin,and it was that wrong concept that Jesus Christ came to free us of. As a man thinks in his heart so is he, if you think you are a poor sick sinner, that without doubt is who you will be. God calls the things that are not as though they were. Reality is not what you see with your physical eyes.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
How do you fit what you believe here, with 2 Cor 3:18. You will never be righteous, until you believe you have been declared you are. You cannot be what you are not. You are completely wasting your time trying to be obedient with a concept of yourself other than that which God has declared you to be.

Remember trettep, God calls the things that are not as though they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity