Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times

Advertisements

Verna, you teach as if Christ was never crucified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Verna, the commandment to keep the sabbath is spiritual, not literally physically observing a particular day.

It is about resting in God's love.

Remember the commandments Jesus gave: Love God and love one another - these two fulfill ALL the other commands.

So how does loving God fulfill the command to observe a sabbath day? It doesn't - but it does if you realize it is talking about resting and trusting in God's love.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Verna, you teach as if Christ was never crucified.
Good evening little elmer .

Please....point out exactly what part it is in my OP that you have a problem with...?

...you see little elmer...this is the problem...(amongst many)...you and everyone else who doesn't like Scripture and the truth that it is as I post it in my OP are the one's who want to crucify Christ over and over and over again...when I am quite sarisfied for the one time He did hang on that cross for me...(and all of you)...I am so grateful and so thankful for what He did for me on that day...that I wouldn't dream of letting THAT DAY....THAT PRECIOUS SACRIFICE...go to waist on me. I live and walk with the Spirit of Christ running through my veins...so much so that I would rather die than to disobey His commandments...because I want to live forever in his arms...and THIS IS EXACTLY what He says I...(WE ALL) MUST! do in order to prove our love for Him...and receive His love in return...I get it !... you don't ! ...and that is very, very sad ...

...I wish that you all did...because I bet all of you are the sweetest people on the earth and I bet that I would love you all if I knew you all personally...but that isn't going to get you to heaven...but believing in the word of God and living it out forthright...because you love Him...and are grateful for His sacrifice....

...blessings.

Love,
Verna.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Verna, the commandment to keep the sabbath is spiritual, not literally physically observing a particular day.

Remember the commandments Jesus gave: Love God and love one another - these two fulfill ALL the other commands.

So how does loving God fulfill the command to observe a sabbath day? It doesn't - but it does if you realize it is talking about resting and trusting in God's love.
Hi legoman....you just continue on believing that....and just continue on believing as a UR...I cannot change your heart, only God can...all I can do is post the truth and pray to God that someone out there gets it...that a heart will be changed...a life will be changed...this is my purpose for being born...and I take it very seriously.....my OP is truth...accept it or not...your choice.

...blessings to you legoman.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Verna...

Do you believe that God is love?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Of a truth, Legoman. And blessed are they who have entered into his rest.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Verna...

Do you believe that God is love?
I certainly do sparrow....I know of His magnificent love and how reassuring it feels to possess it deep within my heart...it is what gives me the strength to go on day after day.....every word in the Bible is truth to me sparrow...every single word...and I live my life accordingly...that is the Love of God that I know...and the love for God that I share.

...blessings to you sparrow...sweet little bird...

Love,
Verna.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM

661 posts, read 622,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
You seem to be eating from the wrong tree Steph, for the opposite of Law is indeed Grace, as we read of the two covenants in John 1:17:

The law came through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

The way in which we appropriate righteousness (or the feeling of acceptance) is either gained by the work of Christ, or by our attempts to keep the law; but let's again look at the choice set before Adam in the Garden - Life or the Knowledge of Good and Evil. That "knowledge" is focusing on the law instead of His provision for all we need. Abiding in Him is letting His life flow through us, and not trying to add to the redemptive work of Christ.

The Children of Israel were led out of Egypt with a mighty hand, fed by manna in the wilderness and even heard God's voice from Mt. Sinai - but God did not harden Himself against them until the point when the Israelites said, "We will do all that you command!"
Dear little elmer, I appreciate where you are coming from, however it is vital that we understand that wherever the term "law" is used in the new testament, it is not always referring to the 613 laws and ordinances given to Israel. This is absolutely essential in order to understand the obedience God requires of us.

When I say "law" I am not talking about "Law" as in those 613 commandments. I am saying that obedience and sin are completely meaningless concepts if there is no law for Christians. We are not forgiven of sins by our attempts to obey God. However, once we are forgiven of our past sins, we are given God's Spirit, and by His grace we are set free from slavery to sin, empowered to walk in newness of life, to die daily to ourselves, and to fulfill the "righteous requirement of the law".

If sin is transgression of the law, and we are not "under law" (any law?), then how can that definition of sin have any meaning? No, we are not under the Law that was added because of transgression. We are, however, under the law of Christ, and able to fulfil it because of God's grace, which we access by faith.

Blessings
Stephanie

Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Please provide a biblical definition for sin. Scripture only please, no human logic, just scripture. I'll check back in a few days for your response.

Thanks and God bless

Romans 14:23 "...everything that does not come from faith is sin."

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,188,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Romans 14:23 "...everything that does not come from faith is sin."
Be careful, very careful. Here's the complete thought as given by Paul in the Holy Bible:

Romans 14:21 [It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
14:22 Hast thou faith? have [it] to thyself before God. Happy [is] he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity