Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,550,130 times

Advertisements

And do you recommend reading it in a certain order, other than beginning to end?

How do you use The Bible?

How well do you know it.

If asked, could you summarize what each book in the Bible is about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,796,609 times
Zero to none. I am currently more concerned about original meaning of the message of Jesus, and I think that relying upon English translations is counterproductive.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
And do you recommend reading it in a certain order, other than beginning to end?

How well do you know it.

Reading the bible on your own is problematic if you do not have a degree in theology.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 AM

376 posts, read 420,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Reading the bible on your own is problematic if you do not have a degree in theology.
Then why are there so many denominations? All denominations have scholars with a stack of degrees; but their disagreements are so big they form separate denominations. (and even started wars because of it)

Someone that earned his/her Catholic degree with summa c um laude wouldn't even make it past the first semester in a, for example, protestant uni.

A degree in theology means you are able to repeat doctine. It's an insult to every that holds a degree in none religious studies.

Matthew 18:3 (NASB)
"and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
I recommend reading the gospels first, beginning with John. That's best, for a new believer, to read the words of Christ. Then, maybe Acts, Psalms, Proverbs. The Epistles are for maturing Christians-they can be diificult for young believers. The OT has to be viewed as a precursor of Jesus redemptive work. JMO...

Quote:
For my personal daily study, I use this: Our Daily Bread
I attend a weekly Bible study, taught by a man I respect deeply. In addition, I teach a Bible study class of maturing believers.

Quote:
How well do you know it.
Better than I did 10 years ago, but I'm still learning. I have a hunger for the Word that I did not have in my early walk with Jesus.

Quote:
No, I still have a ways to go.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
Now days when I read the bible it is one of the Gospels , Psalms or Proverbs..I spent many many years searching the bible and man's books, sermons and classes in order to feel like I had a "mature understanding"..

I would probably be correct to say I pick up the bible once or twice a week..I find the ministry of Christ in the gospels, words of wisdom for daily living in Proverbs and beauty of prose and poetry from ancient writers in their search for God in the Psalms.

I believed since I was a very small child but I followed the wisdom of man instead of the wisdom of the Holy Spirit within myself..When I found quiet, secluded places outside of sight and sound of religious doctrines and began to ask God for answers I finally found that if I was still and listened my spiritual eyes and ears would hear what had been written in my heart..

I was given an understanding that we are ALL his children, having been created by him, and we are ALL brothers and sisters bound by His love. I truly believe there are different paths to Him and that gives me understanding of the various religions and doctrines and reasons why man follows in this imperfect body and world we inhabit in this life.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-02-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,544,201 times
Quote:
No it isn't. Jesus spoke to the common man. He still speaks today. That's what was some of wrong with the RCC. They became elitist and kept it from the common man saying they weren't qualified to understand lest they lose there power over the people just like the Pharisees, Sadducee, Scribes did who claimed they only had the correct interpretation.

MK 13:10 "And the gospel must first be published among all nations."

IS 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
IS 28:12 To whom He said, This is the rest wherewith You may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
IS 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little [because they have not the Spirit]; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken [because they have not the Spirit."

IS 29:13 "Wherefore the Lord said, Inasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
IS 29:14 "Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid."

IS 29:18 "And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.
IS 29:19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel."

Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,478,303 times
my church provides a bible lesson. reading takes 25 minutes.
i do the min. shame shame bad boy.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,155 times
Quote:
No one needs a Degree to read the Bible that's ridiculous. All that'll do is risk you getting squeezed into some lost professor's paradigm of thinking in what it says. All one needs is a Bible, some tools for study, and most importantly - the Holy Spirit which is available for the asking of God in receiving Christ. What matters is that is written in one's heart - a diligent Christian student serving God. It's all available for the seeking.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Blue Letter Bible - Home Page

Digital Dead Sea Scrolls

I use an MP3 player to listen to line-by-line exegesis and have notes. I believe this is the most effective way to learn as opposed to just reading in front to back. Maybe 30-60 min/day. Some devotional reading too.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Zero to none. I am currently more concerned about original meaning of the message of Jesus, and I think that relying upon English translations is counterproductive.
Same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity