Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,520,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I am asking for prayers for myself. The reason is, is I am being placed under the Spirit of Conviction. The Holy Spirit is doing a work in me that is hard to explain. I have sin that needs dealt with, smoking being one of them. I know some who are ok with smoking, and that is fine, as long as it doesnt become a god to you. For myself, I am hooked. I fear for my soul, and have been playing a tug a war with God over this and other issues for some time, but the Holy Spirit is letting me know this time is coming to an end. God will jist let go of the rope.

Please pray for strength to overcome this and my other little gods and idols in my life.

Thank you all in advance,,

Tony
Tony...

Were does your hope reside in ... your strength and ability to overcome or Jesus' strength and ability that has

As Paul confessed about himself:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For

I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Paul's conclusion about self reliance ....
What a wretched man I am!
However, who did Paul look to, to rely on...
Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Why is that.... ?
Hebrews 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 989,585 times
Default In The Hands of G-d

Quote:
I am asking for prayers for myself. The reason is, is I am being placed under the Spirit of Conviction. The Holy Spirit is doing a work in me that is hard to explain. I have sin that needs dealt with, smoking being one of them. I know some who are ok with smoking, and that is fine, as long as it doesnt become a god to you. For myself, I am hooked. I fear for my soul, and have been playing a tug a war with God over this and other issues for some time, but the Holy Spirit is letting me know this time is coming to an end. God will jist let go of the rope.

Please pray for strength to overcome this and my other little gods and idols in my life.

Tony
Shalom brother
just want you to know my heart goes out to you. I tried to quit smoking back in 1986, but it didn't work because I kept hanging around all the elements usually associated with smoking. In 2005 my wife started nagging me almost everyday to quit: the house stinks, clothes smell...and so on and so forth.
In the early morning of December 28, 2006, I was sitting on the front porch of my wife's family home smoking a cigarette when my five year old son came out, put his arm around me, and with the voice of an angel said, "Bapa, Jesus has work for you to do, and I don't want you to die."
Talk about motivation...five years and I'm nicotine free.
My point is friend, don't be so hard on yourself...that task belongs to everyone else.
If you're reading all these replies to your OP my sincere prayer for you is that you believe with all your might that G-d will not allow you to continue defiling his temple with strange fire, but will quickly speak to you soon with the voice of an angel as He did with me. The Blessings of The Eternal One see you through your circumstances...

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM

299 posts, read 263,497 times
Quote:

Tony
According to Jesus' teaching it is not what goes into a man that defiles him but it is what comes out of the man that does defile him.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,576,363 times
Real help can be found at any of the smoking cesation programs, I'm sure there are some in your area.
Getting Help to Quit Smoking - American Lung Association

Quitting smoking isn't easy, I know, I did it in many years ago. Note the operative word here "I" quit, I did it. It is an addiction and until you treat it as such, you can never beat the addiction. There are real and proven methods to beat this addiction, but merely wishing you weren't addicted will accomplish nothing, except another failed attempt to quit.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,452,247 times
Default To all who's struggling.......

(me including). A little encouragement from your sister.....Nothing's too big, nothings too small, nothing's too weak, nothing's too strong for our God, amen? None is perfect! NO NOT ONE!! Give it to Jesus. He said,.... Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Come, COME! YES, just as you are! He said that.

Turn It Over To Jesus - BJ Vavasseur - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity