Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times

Advertisements

I've been astonished at how quickly the false doctrine of universal salvation has recently spread -- and about how vigorously it is defended ... all, "in the name of Christ." It seems that almost every Christian thread gets immediately side-tracked to a UR discussion. Let me offer three observations about why I think that may be happening:

1)..Scripture repeatedly says that in the last days many 'false Christ's will come.' One has to wonder how that might happen, in light of scriptures that so clearly speak to the manner of Christ's return. Now, I am wondering if this type of depiction of a 'false Christ' ... one who will ultimately save everyone ... in a digital age that can reach millions overnight, ... is not how it will happen. (After all, Satan is also depicted as the 'Prince of the Air')

2)..In his book, 'The Screwtape Letters', the renowned Christian author C. S. Lewis depicted a manner of subtle deception -- that Satan uses more often than the 'in-your-face, bald-faced lie' approach. Lewis concluded that people are more effectively deceived about 'the promise of heaven and the danger of hell' ... by the assurance that "there is always time to make up their minds." In many respects, that is exactly what the UR philosophy does for lost, non-believers. It tells them, "relax, don't worry ... our loving god loves you too much to allow anything bad to happen to you." Indeed, Satan used that same approach with Eve, when he challenged God's character and truth in the garden; ..."Surely you won't die."

3). The Bible is more readily available today in multiple formats, than ever before in the history of mankind. Yet, it seems like fewer and fewer people actually 'READ and STUDY the BIBLE' for themselves. TV, movies and digital communications seem to have replaced that with a 'sound-byte mentality.' -- Even many churches that have traditionally promoted in-depth Bible study, seem to be migrating towards programs, videos, commentaries ... and the current month's theme material.

It's easy to be distracted from God's Word by readily available 'capsule versions' that seem less threatening and confrontational than the Bible and Christ when He walked on earth. But, the truth is that Christ was very confrontational ... and was not crucified for being too loving and telling everyone that God would take them all to heaven. He was persecuted for confronting lies and darkness with the truth ... and said that His true followers would likewise, be persecuted, as He was.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,375,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've been astonished at how quickly the false doctrine of universal salvation has recently spread -- and about how vigorously it is defended ... all, "in the name of Christ." It seems that almost every Christian thread gets immediately side-tracked to a UR discussion. Let me offer three observations about why I think that may be happening:

1)..Scripture repeatedly says that in the last days many 'false Christ's will come.' One has to wonder how that might happen, in light of scriptures that so clearly speak to the manner of Christ's return. Now, I am wondering if this type of depiction of a 'false Christ' ... one who will ultimately save everyone ... in a digital age that can reach millions overnight, ... is not how it will happen. (After all, Satan is also depicted as the 'Prince of the Air')

2)..In his book, 'The Screwtape Letters', the renowned Christian author C. S. Lewis depicted a manner of subtle deception -- that Satan uses more often than the 'in-your-face, bald-faced lie' approach. Lewis concluded that people are more effectively deceived about 'the promise of heaven and the danger of hell' ... by the assurance that "there is always time to make up their minds." In many respects, that is exactly what the UR philosophy does for lost, non-believers. It tells them, "relax, don't worry ... our loving god loves you too much to allow anything bad to happen to you." Indeed, Satan used that same approach with Eve, when he challenged God's character and truth in the garden; ..."Surely you won't die."

3). The Bible is more readily available today in multiple formats, than ever before in the history of mankind. Yet, it seems like fewer and fewer people actually 'READ and STUDY the BIBLE' for themselves. TV, movies and digital communications seem to have replaced that with a 'sound-byte mentality.' -- Even many churches that have traditionally promoted in-depth Bible study, seem to be migrating towards programs, videos, commentaries ... and the current month's theme material.

It's easy to be distracted from God's Word by readily available 'capsule versions' that seem less threatening and confrontational than the Bible and Christ when He walked on earth. But, the truth is that Christ was very confrontational ... and was not crucified for being too loving and telling everyone that God would take them all to heaven. He was persecuted for confronting lies and darkness with the truth ... and said that His true followers would likewise, be persecuted, as He was.
Hi Horton,
I think it's very important for us to keep in mind one thing: Jesus Christ was nailed to a cross of wood by the religious.

It was not the prostitues and thieves and blind who had Him killed, it was the religious.

If we are trusting in the Lord, what can any "deceiver" possibly do to us??

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM

63,895 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:

What you and your mainstream cohort fail to understand is that to 1st century Christians the last 2000+ years are the far off "latter days" and the dominant view has already been corrupted by the anti-Christ (read anti- the loving God message of Christ) for thousands of years. We who retain the true message and unambiguous example of Christ are the ones who know the TRUE NATURE of God as revealed by Jesus.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-23-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,446 times
Quote:
...Indeed, Satan used that same approach with Eve, when he challenged God's character and truth in the garden; ..."Surely you won't die."
The devil and his minions don't use the same lie as before...they know better...they changed it to:

"Surely you will not live".

That's the lie of anti-Christ, that causes one to seek justification by any means other than Christ alone and Him crucified.

Christiandome looks to their own faith, works, repentance, baptism, you name it. Anything other than Christ alone, and conditioned on nothing but Christ alone, for justification. Who today actually believes in Him who Justifies the ungodly? Very few, without adding a qualifier to it.

The devil points to the cross and tells us: "Surely you will not live". He tells us: "Surely there is no justification there".

That's the lie.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 03-23-2011 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Horton,
I think it's very important for us to keep in mind one thing: Jesus Christ was nailed to a cross of wood by the religious.

It was not the prostitues and thieves and blind who had Him killed, it was the religious.

If we are trusting in the Lord, what can any "deceiver" possibly do to us??

Blessings,
brian
Actually it was the sinners of this world who had His killed and only because it was Gods plan. Jesus said Himself that they could do nothing to Him if the Father didnt allow it and that it was not them who killed Him but He who offered Himself up and He who released His spirit. So yes the entire world is responsible but it was God who offered and accepted the sacrifice of His beloved son for the sins of the world. It is all about God and not finger pointing.

You killed Christ just as much as I did.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,227,689 times
Quote:

Amen.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
The devil and his minions don't use the same lie as before...they know better...they changed it to: "Surely you will not live".
If that is what Satan says, then I have missed it. Not that I pay attention to his lies anyway.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,367,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
The devil and his minions don't use the same lie as before...they know better...they changed it to:

"Surely you will not live".

That's the lie of anti-Christ, that causes one to seek justification by any means other than Christ alone and Him crucified.

Christiandome looks to their own faith, works, repentance, baptism, you name it. Anything other than Christ alone, and conditioned on nothing but Christ alone, for justification. Who today actually believes in Him who Justifies the ungodly? Very few, without adding a qualifier to it.

The devil points to the cross and tells us: "Surely you will not live". He tells us: "Surely there is no justification there".

That's the lie.
Dang Alabama, got goose bumps reading this.

I'd rep you again if I could.

The lie of the anti-Christ. How ironic is that? It's God's 'ministers' and 'spokespersons' telling us this.

Praise God more and more are being quickened.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,178 times
Quote:

Amen..... another Master('s)piece !!
Like it has been mention here in the forum it's the, "Dumbing down God's TOS."
That really speaks volumes in a lot of what is presented here to be God's truth !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Amen.
Seconding that amen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If that is what Satan says, then I have missed it. Not that I pay attention to his lies anyway.
Thanks for posting the graphic..... it says it 'ALL'

Walking in the Spirit of God is so important these days with all the teachings that use just enough of God's truth in it to deceive many.....

Yes, we need the Holy Spirit, He teaches, guides us to discern truth from error and when to see the subtle twisting too reject those lies..... amen !!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,988,159 times
Dear jghorton,

We are specifically told to charge and teach these things by our Lord and Saviour in 1 Timothy 4:11.

We are told to charge and teach that:

1. God will save all mankind for Christ ransome all (1 Tim.2:4-6)
2. God is the Saviour of all mankind, especially them that believe (1 Tim.4:10) these things command and teach (4:11).

I cannot be disobedient to my Lord and Saviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.