Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,254,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone!

We are told that we must ask forgiveness for our sins.
Did Saul or the early church do this?

Blessings
brian
Not being sure what you, personally, intend by "the early church," I will answer that we can only know what is written in the Bible, and very few other books, about the believers up to around 100 ce. After that, the "church" did many things for centuries that were horrifying attrocities, and many of the people did not live lives indicative of having asked for forgiveness. The modern church lauds many of these individuals, thinking them to be godly people, but they were often quick to murder (or have murdered) people who simply did not believe EXACTLY as they did! Some of them fathered the worst of attrocities against whole people-groups, and we close our eyes to that, sometimes deifying (or nearly deifying) them!

We must admit that many of them did much to promote a christianity, but that is where it ends.

However, we cannot live our lives according to their error. If we are to please G-d, we must repent of our own sins. I am responsible for me, not for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,406,271 times
Comprehension time. My post was referring to yours.
1. I confused you on the second, that was my fault-I mean that you should have taken the guy down the street as personal. Are you lying? I am to worry about myself.
2. The first post had to do with "truth" and the idea that all posters here are liars was a conditional statement (this you evidently missed or if not, you are just trolling or posting for numbers or to sound smart, etc). That statement was based on the idea that someone posted, negatively, that fundies think they have the truth, with the implication they do not, ie, the poster does (he can recognize that fundies do not have truth, so he must have it to know that they do not-this is why I put philosophy as speculation), or, the negativity directed at fundies implies that the poster does not have the truth as well and he disdains the fundies for thinking they do, and to say fundies do not when he doesn't know as well, implies that his statement is nonsense (because if he does not know the truth how does he know that the fundies do not know?), in which case, his statement that fundies do not have the truth must be a lie, if the poster is aware of this, or ignorance, in which case the poster should frame it up as a possible rather than a dogmatic assertion.
3. The reference to dogmatics (if you do not know this science, then maybe you should become acquainted with it, and you might start to understand how some people think; although understanding others is rare here), that is the structure for truth in christianity, and this is a christian thread if I am not mistaken, and is their heritage (of course, the watering down of their belief system is weakening this position), so in dogmatics one speaks truth. The disdain of them (and I have some myself) is this holding to truth. This makes others mad, and I assume it is because these others also think they have the truth and it contradicts, otherwise why the negativity?
4. I hope that clears it up some and next time you post, why not post something of substance instead of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity