Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM

208 posts, read 350,405 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks, Going to be in Chicago for the next week and was wondering if the stairs in sears tower were open to the public...not going to have much time but I'd love to run the stairs while I was there.

I also understand that security is probably an issue and the stair wells might not be open to the public. I've done dozens of google searches, but couldnt find any answers. Seems like it would be a great challenge while in town. Thanks for any info, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
You might want to try a smaller building first say 40-60 then try something bigger. I did the US Bank building in Milwaukee which is only 600ft or 60 stories high not 1,403 like the Sears( I refuse to change). I did the stair run when I was in top notch shape and I walked to the top and ran down and I thought I was going to die, my legs were shaking for an hour afterwards.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 AM

208 posts, read 350,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You might want to try a smaller building first say 40-60 then try something bigger. I did the US Bank building in Milwaukee which is only 600ft or 60 stories high not 1,403 like the Sears( I refuse to change). I did the stair run when I was in top notch shape and I walked to the top and ran down and I thought I was going to die, my legs were shaking for an hour afterwards.
Yea I hear ya, but... "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"

If I can get in, I'll let you know how I did...I'm not afraid to admit failure

Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
I think there's like a race up the stairs once a year or something.

It's an event.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I think there's like a race up the stairs once a year or something.

It's an event.
I think you're thinking of the Hustle up the Hancock.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
If I can get in, I'll let you know how I did...I'm not afraid to admit failure
Oh BTW, they wouldn't let me run and walk up to the roof so I had to sneak in through a fire exit and walk up and dodge security. The baseball commissioner office and other high officials are in their so if you weren't going anywhere specific they asked you to leave.

Then the roof had an alarm on it b/c of a Falcons nest, you had to have card access, so I couldn't even sneak on the roof.

I don't know how security is in the Sears so good luck.(i hate the willis name).

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 PM

29 posts, read 67,458 times
Hi, I did do the Sears stair climb race three years ago (also the races at the Hancock and the Aon Buildings). Unfortunately, the Sears tower stairwells are not accessible by the public. The athletic club in the basement of the building was given permission to use them twice for training sessions before the stair climb, but even then we were restricted from going all the way to the top. You will probably find the same thing at the other places. Your best bet is to sign up for one of the races next winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago