Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 01:54 AM

5 posts, read 15,908 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I am going to be moving to Chicago in a few weeks to start my clinical rotations for med school. The rotations will be at Mercy Hospital (2525 South Michigan Avenue). I really need help trying to figure which area of downtown or the suburbs would be best to live in. I have been doing research on my own but I'm starting to get over-whelmed with all the choices. I will have a car and I am on a budget. If I could get some opinions on which areas I should focus my search, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,024,009 times
With that address, your best bet is to stay in the city. You can live in the burbs and they are not crazily far away, but a city address would be much better time wise unless you have children or something. Basically Mercy hospital is not near any city border.

If you have a car skip downtown unless you want to pay a crazy amount for parking. Downtown parking is for when you have completed your medical degree and you are earning big bucks. Bridgeport, and the near west side around UIC could be good spots. Hyde park could be another.

Downtown is also a good spot location wise, but it just isn't much of a neighborhood(in terms of non touristy things to do) and parking is an issue. If you plan to ditch the car then it might make sense because most people in med school are too busy to care about the neighborhood. The south loop is the area of downtown where you want to be if possible since it is closer but up to the near northside shouldn't be too bad distance wise.

The other big thing is budget. Hyde park and downtown are probably the most expensive out the lot. How much do you plan to spend a month for rent.

Last edited by chirack; 02-21-2010 at 04:07 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Chirack,

I just spoke with my school once again and found out that I will move around to different hospitals. Another hospital being St. Josephs (Lincoln Park). I'm not too interested in a neighborhood or toursity type of place to live because just like you said, I won't have much time on my hand to gallivant.

I guess I can always find a way to ditch the car if living in downtown and public transportation are more convenient. My budget for rent is maximum of $800/month which I am hoping will include utilities and other expenses. I have been on craigslist for the past couple of days trying to find a furnished sublet in the areas you suggested but I've had very little luck.

Anything else you can suggest would be great. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,024,009 times
For Lincoln park all of the areas I mentioned are still good(i.e. Not crazy far away. The area around UIC might be a good compromise cost\location wise. You basically want to stay near Lake shore drive(or an expressway that heads to lake shore drive) for both places. You basically don't want to go too far south, so stay north of 55th street(due to distance) and north of 40th(due to the ghettos in the area). Stay south of belmont and east of ashland(and preferably halsted).

Since you are going to two different places I would keep the car. The CTA is at it's best moving people to and from downtown, but you need to be able to go to the north side(Lincoln park) and the south side(Mercy). The CTA can do it and do it reasonably, but I think a car would be a better idea.

The Lincoln park area has parking issues like downtown, if you find a place to rent here be sure to have somewhere to park your car. Actually in general it is a good idea to make sure you have somewhere to park, but in that area parking could be extra. The UIC area has slight parking issues.

Check out apartments.com. I was able to find a few in your price range. Also consider a non furnished apartment(they go for less per month). The south side will be cheaper. Check for a place within 5-10 miles of 60616 and 60657. Those are the zip codes of Mercy and Saint Josephs. One place I would really check out if I were you is the Prairie Shore apartments as it is close to Mercy.

Another thing to mention is that at your budget you are just into the safe/sane places to live. You should be able to find a place for 800 a month, but don't expect a lot for the money or to be able to find something reasonable(in terms of location or safety) for much less than that. Another big problem is that the areas you need to stay in(i.e. near lakeshore drive) are rather popular.

Last edited by chirack; 02-22-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,724,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolfc5 View Post
...I am going to be moving to Chicago in a few weeks to start my clinical rotations for med school. The rotations will be at Mercy Hospital (2525 South Michigan Avenue)...
Quote:
...I just spoke with my school once again and found out that I will move around to different hospitals. Another hospital being St. Josephs (Lincoln Park)...

You don't want to be in any of the burbs if working at Mercy and St. Joseph. See if you can find out the names of the others.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The next few days are going to be a bit hectic for me, I have several exams and presentations. I will try to find out more information and post as soon as I can. Thanks once again.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 AM

38 posts, read 128,510 times
I agree with Avenger, find out what the other hospitals are, you definitely don't want to be in the burbs and commuting to those locations while doing your residency. If the other hospitals are relatively close to downtown like these are you may want to think about leaving the car behind and just using public transportation. You may end up saving yourself lots of hassles and time. Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM

818 posts, read 2,178,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr072 View Post
I agree with Avenger, find out what the other hospitals are, you definitely don't want to be in the burbs and commuting to those locations while doing your residency. If the other hospitals are relatively close to downtown like these are you may want to think about leaving the car behind and just using public transportation. You may end up saving yourself lots of hassles and time. Good Luck!
So far all of his rotation locations happened to be near CTA train station (Chinatown and Fullerton), but I don't think he should decide to ditch his car until he knows all of the places he will be going to. There are plenty of places in the city that are not close to train stations, and long bus rides during the day would not be preferable. Owning a car may open him up to some of the affordable but safe neighborhoods on the NW and SW sides that seem to fit his budget and needs at this time.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 11,114 times
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I am going to be moving to Chicago in a few weeks to start my clinical rotations for med school. The rotations will be at Mercy Hospital (2525 South Michigan Avenue). I really need help trying to figure which area of downtown or the suburbs would be best to live in. I have been doing research on my own but I'm starting to get over-whelmed with all the choices. I will have a car and I am on a budget. If I could get some opinions on which areas I should focus my search, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Tim
Try the Buckingham. It is located just off South Michigan Avenue in a great neighborhood. There web site is TheBuckinghamChicago.com. The place has a great attitude with mostly college interns staying for the summer.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM

90 posts, read 322,640 times
Hi. You're going to want a car because you're going to be working long hours and won't want to wait for public transportation late at night.

I would start searching craiglists focusing on the South Loop and Univesrity Village. Both are more car friendly and affordable than the north side, and there are plenty of condos for rent, as well as apartment buildings (esp. in South Loop.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago