Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,778,706 times

Advertisements

On October 5 my Traveling Companion and I set off on a month of travel followed by a long visit in FLorida without reliable computer access. Got home just in time for a 6.5 quake and two weeks of rain/wind. We're kind of pulled together now(I'm ignoring the uprooted tree for now)and I wanted to close out our wonderful trip by sharing the following with those of you who have been so helpful.
1)TRAIN- Amtrak from Portland to Chicago is an absolute winner. Great scenery going through Glacier Park, good food and staff and a big observation car. Loved coming into Union Station.
2)HOTEL- we ended up at the BW Hawthorne Terrace which we liked a lot although the breakfast area was too small. We had a couple of small emergencies-staff were very helpful. This was the week in October when you had a cold snap and it went down to 28. I got a cold and we extended our stay by three days while I holed up with TV and takeout food. Good place to hole up.The Chicago Marathoners went by our front door and I watched them from the garden for a couple of minutes which was all I could stand(cold).
3) FOOD. CHINESE - The TC is Shanghai-born and spent the three days I was sick eating his way through Chinatown. He'd eat in about six places then bring home take out and we'd eat in the room. He has lived in LA,Honolulu and San Francisco and pronounced that the Chinese food in Chicago is the best he had had outside CHina. He particularly liked the Old Szechuan which he says makes Ma Po Tofu correctly. There were so many takeout boxes I couldn't keep them straight but we also found Mark's Chop Suey,just around the corner, dependable and fast. ITALIAN - the meal we had at Mia Francesca's which started with prosciutto and artichoke pizza on a very thin crust was wonderful,the pizza at Giordano's okay but not wonderful. And we finally made it to Portillo's- Wonderful Italian beef. GYROS- I've tried every place in Greektown and had always avoided the tacky, garish MR GYROS- What a fool I was! Their Gyros plate feeds three and I'd put it up against any of the others. Full of UIC kids. Everything comes with fries. Got to stop but CHicago was definitely the high point of a trip that also included NOLA and CHarleston. Thanks and we'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,001,408 times
Glad you had a great trip!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM

947 posts, read 2,427,542 times
Grinning ear to ear. Loved your recap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago