Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM

189 posts, read 333,869 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been looking through old threads and couldn't find an answer. I am currently a 23 year old MBA student at The University of Akron. I am young for when I graduated so by the time I receive my MBA in August I will have had 2 years of work experience out of undergrad (1 working as an analyst for an insurance company, 1 working for the university).

I am a little hesitant that my business school might not get me noticed in Chicago. I understand Akron is not a marquee name but I went to this program for the price (free with my assistantship) and close vicinity to where I can stay at my parents house and avoid rent. Around Cleveland it is known that Akron is an underrated school, however I don't think putting it on my resume will get me noticed in other metro areas.

Has anyone used a job placement/headhunter to find a position when relocating to Chicago? If so could you please provide any information you may still have?

If you relocated and did not use an agency, how did you market yourself to Chicago based companies as an out of state prospective employee?

Lastly on a personal note I was hoping to have a weekend getaway to Chicago for Valentine's Day and I was wondering what were some of the top restaurants in the city.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
If you have not already tried, I STRONGLY recommend using the resources of the University you attended, for those with just a couple of years of experience that is far and away the best leg up you can get.

The fact is that youth is generally NOT an advantage for many MBA positions -- if you are expected to contribute to the strategic direction of a firm your employer would much prefer a record of accomplishment in the business world. Exceptions exist in some highly technical areas, but even in finance there are few places that are going to pay MBA salary for someone that has not shown the record of good judgment that firms need.

Of course positions that are heavy on travel sometimes do go to folks that are younger, as the bias of more established folks to spend their lives on a plane or in a hotel room is a factor...

There are just too many people and too few positions for headhunters to be a viable path for junior level positions -- use the channels that result in lowest cost and greatest odds of mutual success. The obvious paths (besides the placement office) are going direct to firms in your target, hitting career fairs (including on-line / virtual...), networking, and good ol' want ads both in printed papers and on-line...

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated. I anticipate and have begun to keep an eye on each firm directly. I was more or less looking for my worst case scenario so that I can have all my options on the table and I don't have to scramble at the last minute.

I am newer to my university but I have heard the career development office leaves something to be desired so that is why I am a little apprehensive about going to them but I definitely plan on finding out for myself.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM

One last thing I wanted to contribute for now. For those unfamiliar of the University of Akron I did a little research on schools near Chicago to describe comparable academic standards and it is similar to Loyola or Illinois Institute of Technology's business program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago