Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM

122 posts, read 200,355 times

Advertisements

Sorry I don't know what other way to put this. The apartment we are renting has absolutely HORRIBLE windows. The storm window fell out of one of the windows, huge drafts come through them, and the ropes are broken. Before anyone asks we are putting up window insulation to help with the cold air coming in but it **** me off the owner refuses to put in new windows. I know these are the perils of renting but installing new windows does add value to a property. Not to mention the owner is damn wealthy and can afford it.

We are tempted to put the windows in ourselves but we don't know how long we are going to stay here.

Just ranting.....

Last edited by linicx; 01-02-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I'm sorry to hear that, but unfortunately, that has been my experience over the past 13+ years renting apartments in Chicago. Every single place, with the except of the place I live now, where the windows were replaced two years ago, have sucked (and even the replacement windows were not all that great). Sadly, you're pretty much stuck with going to Ace Hardware and buying plastic for your windows and hoping the draft isn't so strong it blows the plastic out (yes, that has happened to me before). My last landlord once retorted "what the hell do you need screens for" when I mentioned that her windows didn't have screens.

So yeah, I understand your angst.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM

95 posts, read 219,162 times
If it's affecting you to the point where the temperature in your building is below the legal limits (68 degrees during the day, 66 at night), you could always call your Alderman or 311 to get the Building Department out to investigate. This could make your landlord realize the error of his ways.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
^ Yes.^

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 PM

170 posts, read 535,803 times
I think I got really lucky with my windows. Double pane and fairly new... at our place back in Ohio I remember being able to stand by the closed windows and have my hair blown with the breeze. My kitchen door is a whole other story, though. I always feel wind blowing in through the massive gap between the door and the frame. I can clearly see outside through it, and our kitchen damn near flooded during a rainstorm because of the gap between the door and floor (we're on the third floor). It took several towels to block more water from coming in and in the end they were soaked.

But I'm counting my blessings and ignoring it since it's at the opposite end from the living room and the whole place is quite warm when it needs to be.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
I've gotten lucky too. My landlord doesn't cheap out on maintenance for her building. The windows are new and I can literally put my hand within an inch of it and not feel anything at all. I can feel wicked amounts of breeze from the ill-fitted doors though. There are big enough gaps that I can see daylight. I suppose it's time for some caulk or foam.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:18 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I once lived in an apartment which had such poorly installed doors, I came home to a snow drift in my house that had blown in under the door. Needless to say, I went out the next day and took care of the insulation myself.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 PM

122 posts, read 200,355 times
It is so sad to hear about landlords that just do not care about the maintenance of their building. Perhaps I live in a world with rose coloured glasses but if I had the money, I would install new windows not only for the comfort of the tenants but it also adds value to the building.

Our previous apartment had new windows that were double paned. We hardly used the heat because the apartment was so warm.

Manheim, my husband bought two insulation kits for the doors. We have the same problem with the doors too.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
The landlord should replace the storm window which is missing. Replacing the whole window is a completely different matter. Replacing new windows in a unit, depending on the number, size, and quantity can run up to thousands of dollars. I never realized how expensive it was until I had to replace my windows. Try talking to him, most landlords will try to keep good tenants happy. Again, if the new windows are greater then your rent then he doesn't have much incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: