Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

It is in Noble Square. Once you cross Ashland you are in Noble Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,812 times
I work on the corner of Chicago and Noble and it's fine. Most of the problems are stuff like car window smashes, etc. And most of that is from the high school kids in the area. During the day and most of the night it's relatively safe. I've never had a problem there, nor do I know anyone else who has.

I'd move there in a heartbeat, but I chose to try Humboldt Park for now.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,520 times
Default Noble Square area

Hi, I found a nice property right near Eckhart Park (Noble and Chicago Ave), but I feel wishy-washy about the neighborhood.
Is it pretty safe to be living there? what are the crime rates? Is it a right neighborhood for those who are planning to raise kids? It would be great if someone can give me an opinion on about the neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Lived over there about 4 years ago. Now I'm in nearby Wicker Park, so I know the area. It has gotten better over the last few years, but still has a bit of a sketchy side. I would not call it a dangerous area if you're not looking for trouble, but there is some low income housing (projects & bickerdike) you should be aware of and as always be aware of your surroundings. Most of Noble Square north of Division has been completely gentrified, while south of Division is still in the process of doing so, with some blocks being better than others. I will say there has been a good deal of new businesses that have recently sprung up on Chicago from Ashland to Noble. I would live over there personally, but I don't really see many young families that have just moved into the neighborhood like you do in Wicker Park/Bucktown. Probably a good area in the long run if you are buying due to the great location and gentrification forces.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 04-01-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Did you do a search of the forum first?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Hi Mandals,

Thanks for this info. I have rented the condo (with an option to purchase!) and I cant wait to move there, on May 1.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 13,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLOO View Post
Hi, I found a nice property right near Eckhart Park (Noble and Chicago Ave), but I feel wishy-washy about the neighborhood.
Is it pretty safe to be living there? what are the crime rates? Is it a right neighborhood for those who are planning to raise kids? It would be great if someone can give me an opinion on about the neighborhood. Thanks!
I work right there on the corner of Noble and Chicago and it's fine. There is some sketch a block or two south on Noble, and the park itself is a little weird at night, but it's totally fine.

Your worst problem is the local high school kids who like to vandalize cars and hog the sidewalk.

And seconding Flo. The chicken enchiladas with the New Mexico red sauce are awesome.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
I've been living at Noble and Milwaukee since 01 and I love it. The only time I had a problem (crime wise) is when someone broke my car's passenger window. We used to have a bigger gang problem, I used to see them when I was getting home at late at night, but that seems to have died down quite a bit.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 19,399 times
Default 1500 block west walton st chicago

would appreciate all comments and information regarding renting in this area, safety and how close exactly to the Blue Line.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
This is the Noble Square (or recently Eckhart Park - think that's what the BBB is aiming for now) area. It is pretty gentrified on the small streets but there's a large CHA high rise on Division just east of Milwaukee as well as some CHA townhome/low-rises (not sure if these are mixed income?) along the east side of Milwaukee from Augusta to Division. The neighborhood is still pretty Hispanic with a growing middle-inome family demographic and some old timer Eastern European stragglers scattered about.

It is nearly equidistant from the Division and Chicago stops. Division would be a more pleasant walk if you just head up Ashland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago