Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,643 times

Advertisements

STRONGLY AGREE WITH APPLEI i used to live on julian and paulina, thats the area of LATIN JIVERS and Harrison Gents...and the Black gansta disciples I got caught in a shooting coming out of Paulski Park,..with my child and they Jivers were starting trouble...and one thing led to another and they started shooting and i didnt care if i got shot ...but i ran and covered my child flat face down..
They dont care whom they hit..

listen just be aware of your surroundings...ok i know that they are still active..there

JUST BECAREFUL SWEETY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
I've lived in Noble Square since 2001 and I love it. I can walk to the Division blue line stop, I can walk to the Milwaukee Ave bus, I can easily jump on 90/94 either direction, and cabs are pretty easy to find. Also it's only 2 miles from the westernmost end of the loop, so you can bike downtown easily as well. Then, the shopping, bar and restaurant scene is great - just go up Milwaukee Ave through Wicker Park, or walk along Division. And Chicago avenue is really sprouting a lot of new stuff as well. Yep, love it. Great area imo.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
Default Noble Square

Hey everyone,

I looked at a condo rehab unit that is up for rent, which is on N. Noble Street, which is EAST of Ashland Ave...it is in that section of Wicker Park which is EAST of Ashland, north of Division, and SOUTH of North Ave...squeezed in between Ashland and the expressway. I think some people may refer to this pocket as Noble Square...it was a nice little neighborhood, with lots of old-school Chicago architecture. I never got a bad vibe there, there were parents picking up their kids from the Park District in their SUV's, etc, but I am just wondering if anyone knows anyone who lives there, are they unhappy with the area, what would the crime stats be, etc?

Also - a question for those who are into walkability - the area is highly walkable, as I would be near the intersection of Ashland/Milwaukee/Damen, but in order to walk up Milwaukee, I would have to cross Ashland Avenue. Im not sure I wlike that, as it makes me think that this part of Wicker Park is isolated from the rest, and so not "part of whats going on". Does anyone else have any concerns about having to cross Ashland just to go to coffee shops, bars etc? Other than the concern of the location, the unit itself is GREAT, its just that I like to feel like I am living "in the heart of it all".

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM

I posted another thread about Noble Square just now, before I saw this thread (D'OH!!)

The apartment I am looking at is on Noble as well, the neighborhood looked great, I didnt get a bad vibe at all...my main concern is that I am going to have to walk accross Ashland to get a coffee in the morning, I dont know why that concerns me, I guess because this neighborhood is accross Ashland, it feels isolated from erverything thats going on accross the street. But yes, the condos that are being developed in there are amazing.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Well, you won't be 'in the heart of it all' in Wicker Park. But you'll be a subway stop away, and only a few blocks away from what you might think of as the aorta of Wicker Park, which is Division st.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
But you'll be a subway stop away, and only a few blocks away from what you might think of as the aorta of Wicker Park, which is Division st.
It's funny how that happened. The six corner of North, Milwaukee, Damen is still the heart of the area, but I think Division has overtaken Milwaukee Avenue as a nice commercial strip. Ten years ago I would have never guessed that this would happen.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Well, you won't be 'in the heart of it all' in Wicker Park. But you'll be a subway stop away, and only a few blocks away from what you might think of as the aorta of Wicker Park, which is Division st.
That is true, I think what I mean here, is that I like to live in what I call "the bubble"...I want to live in an area where I dont have to cross "boundaries", and for some reason, I identify Ashland as a "boundary" street. I am really big on walkability, and being a part of the "village"...sort of like, if I am on the other side of Ashland, I will feel like I am on the outside, looking in...plus Im just not sure I want to cross Ashland to get a cup of coffee.

But this apartment I saw is freaking amazing! And I can afford it quite easily.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM

72 posts, read 167,488 times
I think (but don't really know so could be totally wrong!) that the rents in that area are a bit lower than in "the bubble," with easy access to it.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

34 posts, read 93,086 times
Wicker park, East of Ashland is gang territory. I lived in that region a year ago. My Apartment was robbed twice, my car once, and I had nothing of value in it. Puerto Rican and Mexican gangs fight it out regularly there, don't do it. It is a ghetto.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
lol, I grew up in that area. I'm still in shock how much it has gentrified. I remember the Black vs. Puerto Rican gang fights all the time at Pulaski Park. I went to that Catholic School right across the street on Noble. It was a true melting pot in the 80s, blacks, whites(Polish, Czechs, Irish,Germans,etc), Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Columbians, Chinese and so on. I heard that its all Hispanic now. Anyways, even back then, I didn't feel too uncomfortble but don't walk around at night with your guard down. Its a great location relative to clubs, shopping, transportation, etc. Drive through there at night and then make your decision. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago