Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,403 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am finally moving out of my river north condo and am looking to buy a SFH. I focused my search on Bucktown and Wicker Park first but have gravitated towards East Village / Noble square because it seems to me that you can get more house for your $ in these neighborhoods. I'm not sure if I have the neighborhood boundaries right, but specifically, I am talking about the cross streets just south of Chicago Ave (Superior, Huron, Erie). I am looking both east of Ashland as well as west of Ashland between Ashland and Damen.

I know nothing about these neighborhoods so I have lots of questions. Any guidance on the topics below (or anything else for that matter) would be much appreciated. In particular I would love to hear any comparisons between these two areas (i.e. east of Ashland vs west of Ashland, in both cases just south of Chicago). Comparisons to Wicker Park would also be helpful.

Are these neighborhoods safe and family friendly? Is there a difference between the two?

What is the easiest way to commute to the loop? Is there a material difference between the two neighborhoods in terms of commute time?

What do you think about the potential for price appreciation over the coming years? Is there a reason to think that one of these areas is better than the other in this regard?

It seems that homes are slightly more expensive west of Ashland than they are east of Ashland. Is there an explanation for this? It's a little surprising to me because it seems that the nice retail/restaurants/bars on Chicago are east of Ashland.

Any other commentary on these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkessler79 View Post
I would love to hear any comparisons between these two areas (i.e. east of Ashland vs west of Ashland, in both cases just south of Chicago). Comparisons to Wicker Park would also be helpful.

The differences between being east or west of Ashland are not much, at all, that I can see.

Compared to Wicker Park? Well, you're going to have less affluent neighbors down there compared to WP. Also, you won't be as close to the thriving restaurant and night life scene that is WP.

Quote:
Are these neighborhoods safe and family friendly? Is there a difference between the two?
I believe that area is safe and family friendly. Use EveryBlock to get a gauge, it may help.

Quote:
What is the easiest way to commute to the loop? Is there a material difference between the two neighborhoods in terms of commute time?
I would guess getting in to the Loop would harder than from WP. From WP you take the Blue Line or #56 (Milwaukee Ave) bus. From this area, you may need to jump on Chicago Ave bus, then transfer to Milwaukee bus or Blue Line stop at Chicago. If you live close to Grand Ave you may be able to take Grande Ave bus to Milwaukee bus or Blue Line.

Quote:
What do you think about the potential for price appreciation over the coming years? Is there a reason to think that one of these areas is better than the other in this regard?
My hunch is, if the housing market turns upward, that both WP and this area would see similar increases in value. I wouldn't expect much difference in appreciation.

Quote:
It seems that homes are slightly more expensive west of Ashland than they are east of Ashland. Is there an explanation for this? It's a little surprising to me because it seems that the nice retail/restaurants/bars on Chicago are east of Ashland.
Well, easy of Ashland does seem a tad bit sketchier (more low rent buildings around and such) but both sides have a fair amount of shops, restaurants and bars around.

Quote:
Any other commentary on these neighborhoods.
Maybe others can chime in. I live near the area (Augusta and Milwaukee Ave roughly) and know the area fairly well. I've been to most of the bars, restaurants, shops both east and west of Ashland on Chicago. Also, on Grand Ave. You may want to consider living further south, closer to the Green Line at Lake and Ashland, you'll get even more for your money there. But as always, things get a bit sketchier, but really, not all that terrible, IMO.

I'll try and answer any other q's u have if I can.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
I was thinking a little more about this.

It seems to me the differences of being east/west of Ashland are not much. But it does seem west is a little better, especially if you start looking a few more blocks west, around Damen.

Damen is a good street to be near because you can go north a short distance and be in the Division street hustle & bustle, shopping, restaurants and bars. Then, a short ways further north up Damen and you're in the heart of Wicker Park's vibrant area. Then a bit further north on Damen you're in Bucktown and it's good area. So, being close to Damen is probably better for those reasons.

If you're commuting to the Loop, it doesn't matter if you're east or west of Ashland, you're still going to need to transfer at Milwaukee Avenue to get there. East or west of Ashland makes little or no difference for that.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 AM

427 posts, read 463,990 times
Quote:
but specifically, I am talking about the cross streets just south of Chicago Ave (Superior, Huron, Erie). I am looking both east of Ashland as well as west of Ashland between Ashland and Damen.
You are asking about West Town then.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Thanks, this is very helpful. Is there a difference once you start going north of Chicago Ave? I've been looking just south of Chicago because there are SFH for sale there today. Does the neighborhood get "nicer" as you get closer to Division?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Well Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village are nicer than East Village and Noble Square. In case you were wondering Ukrainian Village is the area located west of Damen, with East Village going from Damen to Ashland. If you walk west down Chicago Ave starting at Ashland you will notice that things get nicer going towards Damen. I would say it becomes noticeably better when you get west of Wood St. Also, I see more families in Ukrainian Village than the other areas discussed (many of which I think are actual Ukrainians with children raised in the neighborhood).

Once you get west of Western Ave you are then in Humboldt Park, which is a much rougher area. One caveat is the area south of Chicago Ave around Smith Park, which is actually quite nice and has a good amount of family activity.

I would say north of Chicago Avenue is better if you're talking about the East Village for sure. North of Augusta is even better and is more like Wicker Park.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM

367 posts, read 918,667 times
As far as UKV,

I see children walking around alone. Well, in small groups. At least when the sun is up.

I will either grab the Chicago #66 to the Blue Line or Damen #50 to the Blue Line from UKV. It's 30 mins give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: