Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in McKinley Park, but I recently accepted a permanent teaching position (not CPS) and I'd like to move a bit closer to work (it's in the Belmont-Cragin area). My boyfriend commutes to work in Melrose Park and he also doesn't drive (currently he takes the orange line to the green line to a Pace bus), so something with reasonable access to public transit is important. Apparently he likes his commute for decompressing and thinks it'd be too short if we lived in the Oak Park area; for some reason, he'd prefer a commute of about an hour one-way, and I'd prefer to stay in the city, so we're also considering living near Ashland between about North & Division. In the Oak Park/River Forest area, we'd like to be within walking distance of the Harlem/Lake green line stop.

What are the pros and cons of these areas relative to one another? Any issues with regard to safety? Any other areas you'd recommend? (I've also considered the West Loop, but it's more expensive than I'd like, though we could probably technically afford it.) We're both mid-twenties white people, if that matters, and as long as an area's not less safe than where we're at now, I'm sure we'd be comfortable. Any info/advice would be great - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
McKinley Park is not what I consider a desirable part of Chicago. With even less to recommend it than Bridgeport I suppose cheap is its greatest asset.

If your boyfriend likes a circuitous and unpleasant commute that puts him the extreme minority of commuters. Unless he has some "stopovers" on the way home I really cannot fathom what would be "decompressing" about riding buses and two different El lines all the way from crummy Melrose Park to crummy McKinley Park.

There are far more spots to eat, drink and hang out near Ashland & Divison / North these days than even a few years ago. This is still not a super short commute by normal standards but maybe spending less time on the El and more time with his girlfriend is not what decompresses him...

Oak Park is not high on my list for most folks, but if you want a short commute to Melrose Park it is one of the better choices. River Forest has even less places for a young person / couple to hang out but is far more upscale than McKinley Park... If your boyfriend needs decompression time maybe he could just hang out on the El until it got to the Loop and then ride it back. In the old days taverns and prostitutes were more often used for stress relief. Maybe the notoriusly strict police of Oak Park have done too much to clean things up...

If you are OK with the safety in McKinley Park it should be mostly better in Noble Sq/ Wicker Park, I would caution that since there are more stupid post college kids in that area the incidence of crimes targeting inebiriated young people and propety crimes targeting expensive single speed or fixed gear bicycles is likely higher.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
McKinley Park is not what I consider a desirable part of Chicago. With even less to recommend it than Bridgeport I suppose cheap is its greatest asset.

If your boyfriend likes a circuitous and unpleasant commute that puts him the extreme minority of commuters. Unless he has some "stopovers" on the way home I really cannot fathom what would be "decompressing" about riding buses and two different El lines all the way from crummy Melrose Park to crummy McKinley Park.

There are far more spots to eat, drink and hang out near Ashland & Divison / North these days than even a few years ago. This is still not a super short commute by normal standards but maybe spending less time on the El and more time with his girlfriend is not what decompresses him...

Oak Park is not high on my list for most folks, but if you want a short commute to Melrose Park it is one of the better choices. River Forest has even less places for a young person / couple to hang out but is far more upscale than McKinley Park... If your boyfriend needs decompression time maybe he could just hang out on the El until it got to the Loop and then ride it back. In the old days taverns and prostitutes were more often used for stress relief. Maybe the notoriusly strict police of Oak Park have done too much to clean things up...

If you are OK with the safety in McKinley Park it should be mostly better in Noble Sq/ Wicker Park, I would caution that since there are more stupid post college kids in that area the incidence of crimes targeting inebiriated young people and propety crimes targeting expensive single speed or fixed gear bicycles is likely higher.
Wow, this entire post is one big "Dis" of the OP, with some inferences about the boyfriend being unfaithful thrown in for good measure. Are posts like these typical for $500 winners from C-D? I thought they were supposed to be "helpful?"

Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Wow, this entire post is one big "Dis" of the OP, with some inferences about the boyfriend being unfaithful thrown in for good measure. Are posts like these typical for $500 winners from C-D? I thought they were supposed to be "helpful?"

Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 AM

527 posts, read 600,333 times
The only undesirable thing about McKinley Park is that it's mostly residential and rather quiet and boring. (Then again, some people prefer that.) Its proximity to Bridgeport and Pilsen, nice park, easy parking, relative safety (compared to much of the South Side) and affordability have made it a choice for many.

That wasn't the OP's question, though, and the random slight of the OP by the second poster was uncalled for.

OP, the areas you're talking about are safe. I'm personally biased toward WP over Oak Park, but it's hard to go wrong with either, if you can afford them.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Yeah, the amount of contempt that exudes from that post is quite remarkable. Not very commendable Chet.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Every post from Chet should really just read, "Baaahhhh! I hate young happy city-dwellers! Especially when they live in neighborhoods that were undesirable when I bought my house in the suburbs in 1978! Bahhhhhhh!!!!"

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Jesus Christ, Chet, what the hell were you thinking when you posted this crap?

Someone craving attention today?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Regarding the substance of the question, the area around the Harlem Green line in Oak Park is one of the safer parts of Oak Park, and also the liveliest part with fairly active pedestrian traffic into the night. Its not city living, but its about as close as you can get without being in the city. Probably 30-40 minutes shorter commute compared to Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 AM

424 posts, read 467,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Yeah, the amount of contempt that exudes from that post is quite remarkable. Not very commendable Chet.
He even implies the boyfriend would take on a cheap hooker. Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago