Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
They were probably 80 years old and friends of IrishTom's father.
Hey, when I was born we lived there; I was baptized at Lady of Sorrows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Hey, when I was born we lived there; I was baptized at Lady of Sorrows.
I knew it! I was kind of being serious when I said that.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM

22 posts, read 41,208 times
Alot of AA's. Please stay away from that area. You will be better off in the Near Westside area.

Happy House Hunting

Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I probably am a bit off-but I did not work out the equation. I did the estimate off of the top of my head.

I do have to wonder who taught you statistics and math.
It doesn't matter anyway, the white population there won't grow in linear fashion. Hipsters defy statistics, mathematics and common sense If it does grow, it will start with a trickle and then explode once it gains momentum. Though with WGP, I don't know. Probably a little too unsafe for that to happen.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM

103 posts, read 91,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It doesn't matter anyway, the white population there won't grow in linear fashion. Hipsters defy statistics, mathematics and common sense If it does grow, it will start with a trickle and then explode once it gains momentum. Though with WGP, I don't know. Probably a little too unsafe for that to happen.
Blacks are no longer the majority in greater Harlem. Yes, Harlem, could you believe that.

White Population Rises in Manhattan - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 07-12-2010, 03:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,259,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid and Nancy View Post
Blacks are no longer the majority in greater Harlem. Yes, Harlem, could you believe that.

White Population Rises in Manhattan - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com
Thank you for the good link.

However, gentrification and dispersing of nonwhites was bound to happen. When you have very little real estate in that sense and demand FAR exceeds supply, the people who create that demand will encroach upon whatever is close enough for them. If things keep up, you're going to see NYC be much "whiter" in time.

As to whether or not this is a good or bad thing, that is a different discussion.

Also, for places like WGP or EGP, or even Austin to gentrify - you would need to see MASSIVE demand for city property. We're not surrounded by water on three sides like Manhattan is. Unless Chicago brings more jobs to the loop or into the city (doubtful) you're not going to see demand.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 PM

269 posts, read 717,765 times
I'd be willing to bet the whites in this neighborhood are either misguided "urban pioneers" or moved there to get closer to the dope spot...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,417 times
^I know 6 white families in Garfield Park and they are all touchy feely, love your fellow man types. 2 of them have been there since the 90s so any pioneering spirit they had has likely faded.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM

400 posts, read 958,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^I know 6 white families in Garfield Park and they are all touchy feely, love your fellow man types. 2 of them have been there since the 90s so any pioneering spirit they had has likely faded.

what has that pioneering spirit faded into?
grudging acceptance of life in hostile territory?
wow, sounds like an interesting case study

these are the truly risk oblivious,
off the charts.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
I know a couple of yuppie couples who live in West Garfield Park. They bought in 2003 and 2007, respectively. Both wish they could sell their homes that are now worth less than half they paid.

They are both the love your fellow man types who have been hit with a massive dose of reality.

I see little hope for areas like Garfield Park. Humboldt Park is bad enough but at least there is hope, particularly for the hispanic parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago