Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,697,018 times

Advertisements

While listening to WGN radio today, while enjoying a pipe full of sweet tobacco, a news story came on that just about made me bite the end off my pipe's bit.

It seems that the anti's are upset that Illinois is not spending all of the 850+ million it will get from the MSA on stop smoking or other anti tobacco efforts. Illinois is spending less that 1% of that money on these anti favored efforts!

What the anti's are ignoring is that Illinois , like so many other states, is in the middle of a state budget crisis that needs the MSA money to run the state. The anti's are also ignoring that it's Illinois money to do with as they see fit not the anti's money!

The anti's are also upset that Illinois has the cheapest price per pack in the nation.

All I have to say is.........Boo Hoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
If we have cheap cigarette prices why are the shops set up on the Indiana side of the state border?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,767,738 times
Everyone is fully entitled to take charge of their OWN life anytime they want to.....especially when it has no impact on another persons life. A gun would be a lot faster than the tobacco, but they both get you to the same place quicker. A simple ban on smoking in ALL public places is much easier. Then those that wish to try to kill themselves can do it in the privacy of their cars or homes. Very efficient and nobody innocent gets hurt..one by one most of the other States have gotten the idea. It may not be popular with those that have nothing better to do than poison themselves, but alas that is and should remain THEIR choice, just don't take anyone with ya thanks...

Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Darn! Whenever I see a thread on any of the many forums I visit about tobacco ,or smoking, someone will crawl out from under a rock somewhere to proselytize about the evils of tobacco when most of these so called self proclaimed experts don't know diddly about tobacco at all. They just parrot the anti tobacco redderick they've been brain washed into believing

If ya don't like to tobacco fine just don't bombard me ,or others that do, with your self righteous drivel 'cause it makes you look like a moron to other people.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
...The anti's are also upset that Illinois has the cheapest price per pack in the nation...
What?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Quote:
The anti's are also upset that Illinois has the cheapest price per pack in the nation.
HA!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 855,973 times
Quote:
Darn! Whenever I see a thread on any of the many forums I visit about tobacco ,or smoking, someone will crawl out from under a rock somewhere to proselytize about the evils of tobacco when most of these so called self proclaimed experts don't know diddly about tobacco at all. They just parrot the anti tobacco redderick they've been brain washed into believing

If ya don't like to tobacco fine just don't bombard me ,or others that do, with your self righteous drivel 'cause it makes you look like a moron to other people.
Did this happen somewhere in this discussion that I didn't see? What's with the hardcore attack on anti's (whoever that is)? It's seems like your the one attacking here, so don't be surprised when others start attacking you back.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
Did this happen somewhere in this discussion that I didn't see? What's with the hardcore attack on anti's (whoever that is)? It's seems like your the one attacking here, so don't be surprised when others start attacking you back.
It may ,or may not, have but without fail some moron will crawl out from under a rock in every discussion about tobacco , or smoking, to take over the discussion with anti tobacco bull crap in an attempt to shut the discussion down.

With Illinois in the midst of a budget crisis to pass laws that ban smoking is like shooting ones self in the wallet causing tobacco tax revenue loss. Real smart. Yep, super smart..........

I just figured I'd get my licks in early.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM

270 posts, read 855,973 times
Quote:
It may ,or may not, have but without fail some moron will crawl out from under a rock in every discussion about tobacco , or smoking, to take over the discussion with anti tobacco bull crap in an attempt to shut the discussion down.

With Illinois in the midst of a budget crisis to pass laws that ban smoking is like shooting ones self in the wallet causing tobacco tax revenue loss. Real smart. Yep, super smart..........

I just figured I'd get my licks in early.
From a strictly economic standpoint I still disagree with you. The elasticity of addicitive drugs have proven rather inelastic over the years. This is why we can continue to raise the tax on cigarettes; you can say it's a sin tax, but it does relatively little to stem the tide. In this respect, I believe that passing a law against smoking will not deter most smokers from engaging in it. Therefore, I don't think it will diminish the tax revenue for the state very significantly.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,296,651 times
Fir the last 25 years. MO has had cheaper cigartettes and gasoline than IL., but you have to know where to look. I do not know if it is still true today or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago