Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Seriously, there are enormous differences in who should do what and why.

If one were only to look at a handful of criteria it is obvious the range of offerings in huge:

MSTAX > Program > Mission

Roosevelt University - Master of Science in Accounting (http://www.roosevelt.edu/business/msa.htm - broken link)

DePaul University College of Commerce - Accountancy and Management Information Systems

Master of Science in Taxation - NIU - Department of Accountancy (http://www.cob.niu.edu/accy/accy_mst.asp - broken link)

Loyola University Chicago- Master of Science in Accountancy (http://www.luc.edu/gsb/academics_msa.shtml - broken link)
Oh gosh. I was just saying for the convienence. Then again, I know more about history programs and education.

Sorry for posting my opinion sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Didn't mean to come off too harsh -- I frankly don't know if the OP is already working as an accountant and was told by their employer that it would be helpful to get a Masters or is in some other situation. My personal tax advisor earned her Masters for UofI and left her very demanding position in one of the most well known accounting firms many years ago. When one of my kids was thinking about a similar path she gave very helpful info, I really am not sure how much has changed, but my gut tells me the tops programs are quite different than the ones further down the list. The value of these programs is highly dependent upon what one wants to achieve.

I also know that there are many other things to consider when one broadens their search to take in other options like Finance and/or MBA and frankly I think that anyone doing so should google both this forum for the "Chicago angle" as well the other online sources. As Manigault suggest these are not decisions that are to be taken lightly and many of institutions practically post a "danger" sign for prospective applicants: MSFM - Prospective Students (http://finmath.uchicago.edu/new/msfm/prospective/plan_questions.php - broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
I think if the OP thinks he/she is smart enough to pursue graduate school, than he/she is smart enough to do his/her own research and compare schools

Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM

182 posts, read 512,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I think if the OP thinks he/she is smart enough to pursue graduate school, than he/she is smart enough to do his/her own research and compare schools
wow guys, i assure you i'm not basing my decision solely on this thread lol. i just thought i would get some opinions of chicago residents. i've done research on loyola and depaul especially...as well as UIC...and will probably travel out there in the future to check out the campuses.

to be honest, prestige isn't the most important factor in making my decision.

but guys, i'm NOT jumping on this thread and reading the first response and making my decision!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times
you guys, I do find it funny that everyone jumps on someone because they're soliciting opinions from residents, you know, maybe if any of you have gone to grad school? Sure, google is fine, but if you want to know what people that live in the place think ... isn't that the point of this board?

or haven't any of you gone to grad school?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM

I dunno, it strikes me as odd that the OP gave so little details about what they want to accomplish.

More about what they were leaning to would at least give a better starting point.

Here are some examples:

"I have been working in a large financial information services company for three years. I have been taking night classes in advanced mathematics. I am shooting for the MS in Financial Mathematics at UofC, but I might also pursue a similar program at IIT. I know there are major differences in the scope of opportunities that would be available to me right upon completion, but I was hoping that maybe long term things would even out. Any clues on the social differences?"

OR MAYBE:

"I got my undergrad degree in general business from an undistinguished state school. I have been working in retail banking for the past three years. Does it make sense to get an MBA from DePaul with a concentration in Finance? Would my career options really be different if I went to UIC instead?"

OR MAYBE:

"I got my undergrad degree from a smaller local school. I have been working as a glorified intern for a country near where I live. I have some experience with bond issues and I am thinking of pursuing a MS in Finance from Loyola. Is this a realistic path to end up at a financial services company?"

Or maybe:

I got my degree in "financial controls" from a major for-profit educational company. Some of the people I work with at a payroll processing company have encouraged me to get an accounting degree. It would be super convenient for me to go to Roosevelt and earn a Masters in their accounting program. Is this a good career path?

INSTEAD the OP has given no details and WE are left to guess what they want to accomplish. Somehow I doubt that the OP is currently working at a top tier financial firm after having completed a solid undergrad program. Generally people like that have a laser like focus on Northwestern or UofC MBAs and if they do not their odds of acceptance fall off pretty sharply... Some do end up at DePaul or Loyola or NIU or other schools and they can still go on to have nice earnings, but the whole environment is very different today than it was a few years ago.

If you count the extension programs from UIUC and Notre Dame and other places there are probably a dozen or more options for graduate education in various business specialities around Chicago. Other forums may be better suited to help people narrow their focus. Once they do that city-data might be a useful resource to dig into the life aspects. The OP merely asked about "options" and has not even enumerated a complete list or one that includes the top ranked options for the specialization they are considering.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM

17 posts, read 47,719 times
I got my M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance from Roosevelt. I choose it out of convienece based on the fact that I would be able to take night classes after work in the downtown loop.

I went to an above average highschool (HF) and an average state school (Eastern Illinois) for my undergrad. My big complaint about Roosevelt is that it seems 'watered down'. None of my grad level classes (except for one) was any more challanging then anything I took in my undergrad at EIU.

I think the problem with the program is that it is designed for someone who did not come from a business background in their undergrad. You really did not need any 'base' of a background in finance to succeed. On that note there was a lot of repitition of things that I already learned.

On the plus side you do get more diversity at Roosevelt then you would get at a Loyola or DePaul. I am a white guy who works in Finance for a company with a lot of other white guys working for it. It was nice going to class and being around people from diverse backgrounds (for a change of pace).

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman23 View Post
I got my M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance from Roosevelt. I choose it out of convienece based on the fact that I would be able to take night classes after work in the downtown loop.

I went to an above average highschool (HF) and an average state school (Eastern Illinois) for my undergrad. My big complaint about Roosevelt is that it seems 'watered down'. None of my grad level classes (except for one) was any more challanging then anything I took in my undergrad at EIU.

I think the problem with the program is that it is designed for someone who did not come from a business background in their undergrad. You really did not need any 'base' of a background in finance to succeed. On that note there was a lot of repitition of things that I already learned.

On the plus side you do get more diversity at Roosevelt then you would get at a Loyola or DePaul. I am a white guy who works in Finance for a company with a lot of other white guys working for it. It was nice going to class and being around people from diverse backgrounds (for a change of pace).
Agreed.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
you guys, I do find it funny that everyone jumps on someone because they're soliciting opinions from residents, you know, maybe if any of you have gone to grad school? Sure, google is fine, but if you want to know what people that live in the place think ... isn't that the point of this board?

or haven't any of you gone to grad school?
yet the OP is asking questions the answers for which can be found by googling, such as acceptance rates and what Chicago area schools offer certain programs. OP didn't even seem to sure about the tuition rates of these schools, info that, again, can be found by googling or even going on the school's site. if the OP was asking for specific opinions about a specific program, that's one thing, but from the first post, the OP doesn't seem to have a concrete idea in mind and is asking questions that he/she could easily find the answers to

not trying to sound overly cranky, but once you get to that level of education, you should be able to look up this basic info on your own (ooh, that did come off quite cranky. oh well)

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Default And to be clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Agreed.

I don't disagree.

If the OP wants more specifics about diversity or anything else they really need to ask...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: