Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,373,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I love how people were so quick to blame the CTA yesterday.
LOL, the CTA is an easy scapegoat. there's only so many times you can raise fares and threaten service cuts before people start to really dislike you!

I'll admit, I was ready to blame the train driver too, but I agree w/ everyone else that something (lots of things) aren't adding up. the child's head, according to one report, was bouncing up and down on the platform and then the child was "catapulted" from a train traveling at least 10mph, yet she was conscious and unhurt? if this story is legit, that is one mighty miracle for the child not to have a concussion, fractured skull, or other issues. could be an elaborate plot, like the "finger in the chili" ploy. if this is a ploy, I feel so badly for the train driver to have gone through such a right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,702,490 times
Quote:
...I wonder if we ever will see a pic of the stroller in question.
Ask and thou shalt receive (pic is in this story):

Union: Stroller is focus of CTA investigation - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/stroller-a-focus-of-cta-investigation.html - broken link)

Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,936,244 times
Quote:
Ask and thou shalt receive (pic is in this story):

Union: Stroller is focus of CTA investigation - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/stroller-a-focus-of-cta-investigation.html - broken link)
Me thinks somebody thought they were gonna get a payday out of this...

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
...the child's head, according to one report, was bouncing up and down on the platform and then the child was "catapulted" from a train traveling at least 10mph, yet she was conscious and unhurt?...
Now yet another version of the events in the Sun-Times:

"...She told police she tried to board, but the train doors closed on the stroller. Ozonwu ran after the train, holding onto the stroller — and her daughter, Rachel.

But Ozonwu fell and let go of the stroller, watching as it turned sideways. Rachel’s head “bounced” on the platform, police said, and the little girl landed onto the gravel track bed about 10 feet beyond the end of the platform..."

CTA mother: 'Miraculous' daughter survived :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1861356,baby-dragged-by-cta-train1103.article - broken link)

Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,252,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Me thinks somebody thought they were gonna get a payday out of this...
that's how it's shaping up in my eyes.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,207,229 times
Wow. This certainly isn't the potential outcome I expected. I was much too fast to judge.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 AM

There we have it folks.

This had to be a bunch of b.s.

================================================== =================================================

"The stroller turned sideways and the toddler came out, bounced off the platform, and fell onto the track bed about ten feet beyond the platform, Ozonwu told police."

"Rachel was released from Children's Memorial Hospital Tuesday evening, and was doing "fine" Wednesday, said Ozonwu, who did not want to talk further."

Union head: Why does stroller appear udamaged? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1866422,cta-stroller-investigation-110509.article - broken link)

"About 10 feet past the end of the platform, on the gravel to the left of the inside rail, Weinberg saw the child. Rachel was conscious, flat on her back, lying amid other items knocked out of the stroller, he said."

Mom of toddler hurt at CTA station: God 'did a marvelous thing' - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/toddler-falls-from-stroller-and-off-train-platform.html - broken link)

"Rebecca Weinberg called 911 and held the baby while the child's mother, Ebere Ozonwu, gathered up her things from off the tracks."

Toddler thrown onto CTA tracks in accident - 11/04/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

"At that point, she says the train takes off, dragging her stroller as well as her baby inside it, some 250 feet."

Union: Stroller is Focus of CTA Investigation - WGN

"Nobody witnessed the stroller being dragged," Kelly said. "Nobody saw that baby fall off the platform."

Stroller allegedly caught in CTA train doors appears to be unscathed -- chicagotribune.com

Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,359,158 times
Most likely BS.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,252,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Wow. This certainly isn't the potential outcome I expected. I was much too fast to judge.
it's okay, the mantra in Chicago is blame CTA, ask questions later.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,340,675 times
Maybe the articles prove what police generally think: people don't always remember the same chain of events in the same way.

My opinion is that sometimes you find a really creative journalist who uses one incident to to attempt to write an award winning article. Let's face it we don't currently have a Mike Royko or Bob Woodward in Chicago. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago