Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times

Advertisements

You absolutely have the right idea about strolling as being the best way to experience a city.

Other people have given great recommendations. You will definitely want to walk all around the loop, River North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc., but I also advise a walk down 18th Street through Pilsen, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Chicago. There are many beautiful, old buildings down the stretch from Halsted to Ashland. It definitely feels like an old school working-class Chicago neighborhood, as though not much has changed there over the last century other than the shift in population from central Europeans to Mexicans. You can hop on the pink line from Ashland and take it to my favorite pizza joint in Chicago: Home Run Inn on 31st street. It's buried in the west side but definitely worth the trip. I would do all of this in the daytime, as the area gets a little seedy when the sun goes down. I've lived in Pilsen for years but I still feel uncomfortable once in a while walking around at night for various reasons.

I also recommend the Chicago History Museum in Lincoln Park. GREAT stuff, and it's free on Mondays.

FYI, you might be a little disappointed by Greektown, seeing as most of the "Greek" was eliminated when they tore down 2/3 of the neighborhood to build expressways. But stop by for Mr. Greek gyros. Don't go to the one across the street (Greektown Gyros), as they are inferior!

I hope your trip goes well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Well it's supposed to snow(Wet) Monday morning/Sunday night....
If it does it will be the earliest snowfall in recorded Chicago history. Skilling says we might get ice pellets.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-08-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If it does it will be the earliest snowfall in recorded Chicago history. Skilling says we might get ice pellets.
It snowed in OCtober once when I was in highchool...

I forgot the exact date.

The year I think was my sophmore or junior year

Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 AM

378 posts, read 1,289,361 times
Recommend: La Scarola Italian Restaurant Chicago

Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
Did you have Italian beef on your list? That's a must! If you have time, it's off the beaten path, Hot Doug's is pretty cool - not your standard hot dog. But I'd probably only go there after I had a classic Chicago dog and if I were up for something really creative.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM

590 posts, read 1,013,549 times
Got my plan down for the trip; kinda.

10/21: get there in afternoon and I have to "collect some tools". Walk to subway and buy CTA pass, then go to the Visitor center, then to Michigan/Grand to get the GoChicagoCard. I am going to check out JazzRecord Mart on Illinois St as I am there, then walk back to Quartino restaurant for dinner.

10/22:
MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY
FIELD MUSEUM
SHEDD AQUARIUM
ADLER PLANETARIUM
10/23
NAVY PIER
SHORELINE CRUISE
CHICAGO ART INSTITUTE
MILLENNIUM PARK
10/24
MUSEUM CONT. ART
LINCOLN ZOO -PARK
CHI HIST MUSEUM
HANCOCK OBSERVATORY

The other 2 days, 25th and 26th are going to be dedicated to visiting neighborhoods, walking and just watch the people and enjoy the city without any particular "to do things". You know, stop in a bar here and there and have a beer with the locals, feel the city vibe and of course I am sure my wife will find the time to work on the credit card in some stores...

That's it. Now all I have to do is maybe look at another couple of restaurants and fugure out what jazz and blues clubs I am going to enjoy my scotch in the night and I am all set...

Thanks to all of you for chipping in with suggestions and tips.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
That sounds like a great trip, however, you will really have to zip thru the museums, aquarium etc on your first day. Thats alot to take in for one day. I would say near impossible to really do any of these justice.
Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Welcome to Chicago.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Did you have Italian beef on your list? That's a must! If you have time, it's off the beaten path, Hot Doug's is pretty cool - not your standard hot dog. But I'd probably only go there after I had a classic Chicago dog and if I were up for something really creative.
Where is a good place for beef and peppers?

Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
I would definitely do the museums over at least two days. The Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry wii take at least one day each to cover throughly. Further, MSI is not on the museum campus, so you will waste a lot of time on transit getting to Hyde Park. Better to do that on one day, and you can spend some time exploring Hyde Park.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
If you're still looking for a jazz club, Jazz Showcase is your best bet

Welcome! | Jazz Showcase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago