Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,653 times

Advertisements

I'll be in the Windy City with the wife in late October and I really look forward to it, as it will be the first time I go there for vacation and not work/conventions.

I will stay at the Avenue Hotel, off Chicago and Michigan, in the magnificent mile (got a great price through Priceline) and I am already familiar with the attractions of the city and the "things to do".

What I would like to get from locals is tips on where to go after dinner, like a special place to take my wife. The ideal would be a place where there is music (live or not) but you can still have a conversation.

Also, I am going to have my jazz fix. Rosa's still one of the best or you have another suggestions.I am basically looking for the typical tips that you can't find on any guide and only locals know.

Can't wait to be in Chicago. I spent a week in NY at the beginning of September, so between these vacations I am getting my city living annual fix... And I take a break from the darn heat of South Florida, whic is always great for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM

33 posts, read 95,530 times
You could try the Signature Lounge on the 95th Floor of the Hancock Building for a drink after dinner. The drinks are pretty pricey but the view is spectacular and it's cheaper than paying to see the view from the observatory. I went there on a date once and it was a great way to end the evening. If you wanted one more convenient, I also believe Sky Bar is in your hotel (The Avenue) and has views from the 40th floor.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl33 View Post
You could try the Signature Lounge on the 95th Floor of the Hancock Building for a drink after dinner. The drinks are pretty pricey but the view is spectacular and it's cheaper than paying to see the view from the observatory. I went there on a date once and it was a great way to end the evening. If you wanted one more convenient, I also believe Sky Bar is in your hotel (The Avenue) and has views from the 40th floor.
Who payed on your date?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Check out the Chicago History Museum in Lincoln Park.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,987 times
Yoshi's would be my suggestion for dinner. Check out the reviews on google or yelp.

From your location, you can grab the Red Line subway at the Chicago Ave stop about 2 blocks west of Michigan Ave and take it north to Belmont (takes 10 to 12 minutes). Get off and walk east about 2 blocks to Halsted and then walk 1 block north to the restaurant. Or just take a cab for 12 bucks or so.

Hope you have a fun trip..

Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,653 times
Thanks to all of you for your comments.
The only place I knew among the 3 mentioned above was the Signature Room, never been there but I heard and read about it (and about the prices).
One place I was told it's worth to check out also for restaurants is Greektown. Any comment? And it's a reasonably safe place in the night after dinner?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 AM

152 posts, read 494,921 times
One of the "must visit" jazz venues here is The Green Mill, 4802 N. Broadway. Everyone from Capone to Sinatra has been there. Walking into the place still makes you feel like either one of them could walk in at any time.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,612 times
Default Check out the Piano Bars

Weather will probably be awful. Check out dueling pianos at Howl @ The Moon

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,309 times
Artropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Thanks to all of you for your comments.
The only place I knew among the 3 mentioned above was the Signature Room, never been there but I heard and read about it (and about the prices).
One place I was told it's worth to check out also for restaurants is Greektown. Any comment? And it's a reasonably safe place in the night after dinner?

Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Artropolis
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: