Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM

6 posts, read 16,614 times

Advertisements

I'll be staying in Chicago for one or two nights, but only have just a little time to go out sight seeing late on July 3 and/or early on July 4th. We'll be in the Schaumberg area. Never been to Chicago before...some things we're considering: races and fireworks at Arlington Park, fireworks at Navy Pier, Hancock Tower and/or Willis Tower, Grant Park/Millenium Park. Any suggestions? What would driving into downtown and back be like on the evening of the 3rd? Would the Metra or L be viable options? Is parking safe at the train stations? Would it be safe to go to and from stations after fireworks downtown? Or is there something different we could do on the evening of the 3rd? We've never been, and don't have our hearts set on anything other than checking out one of the towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,306,752 times
The Metra would be a good choice to get downtown, and the Schaumburg station has plenty of good parking. I wouldn't suggest going to Arlington Park because you don't come this far not to be in Chicago.

And it's still the Sears Tower.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,111 times
haha, i guess you think it's still the Marshall Field's too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The Metra would be a good choice to get downtown, and the Schaumburg station has plenty of good parking. I wouldn't suggest going to Arlington Park because you don't come this far not to be in Chicago.

And it's still the Sears Tower.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,023,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberwhose View Post
I'll be staying in Chicago for one or two nights, but only have just a little time to go out sight seeing late on July 3 and/or early on July 4th. We'll be in the Schaumberg area. Never been to Chicago before...some things we're considering: races and fireworks at Arlington Park, fireworks at Navy Pier, Hancock Tower and/or Willis Tower, Grant Park/Millenium Park. Any suggestions? What would driving into downtown and back be like on the evening of the 3rd? Would the Metra or L be viable options? Is parking safe at the train stations? Would it be safe to go to and from stations after fireworks downtown? Or is there something different we could do on the evening of the 3rd? We've never been, and don't have our hearts set on anything other than checking out one of the towers.
Metra and the El are your best bets for traveling into town. Parking/Traffic downtown can be a nightmare.There is no free parking. Parking is safe at train stations and it should be reasonable safe going to/from the stations.

Check to hours of the things you are intrested in viewing. Also if this trip is for fun( not visting family ect...) don't stay in Schaumberg(too far away from the touristy stuff downtown).

Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 10,111 times
I would at least do one of the CFA boat tours.

Quote:

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,614 times
Ooo...we love boat tours, so I'll definitely look into that. We are actually just passing through Chicago in a way, but we are mixing a tiny bit of business into what is otherwise a road trip to see family. That's why we're staying in schaumberg. Any advice on Metra vs El? Is one nicer or safer? Does one have better schedules? I've looked a little online at the schedules, but would love advice from others who have actually used them.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,226,494 times
Quote:
Ooo...we love boat tours, so I'll definitely look into that. We are actually just passing through Chicago in a way, but we are mixing a tiny bit of business into what is otherwise a road trip to see family. That's why we're staying in schaumberg. Any advice on Metra vs El? Is one nicer or safer? Does one have better schedules? I've looked a little online at the schedules, but would love advice from others who have actually used them.
From Schaumburg, I'd drive if possible. You'd have to take a Woodfield bus to the el at O'Hare first. Metra is ok, but does not actually stop in Schaumburg and has a spotty schedule.

Safety is not a real issue as to rapid transit between downtown Chicago and Schaumburg.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,463,205 times
Go and enjoy the city, forget fireworks. I'm sure you've seen plenty in your life, and in Chicago they can be overcrowded, sweaty affairs.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,306,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
From Schaumburg, I'd drive if possible. You'd have to take a Woodfield bus to the el at O'Hare first. Metra is ok, but does not actually stop in Schaumburg and has a spotty schedule.

Safety is not a real issue as to rapid transit between downtown Chicago and Schaumburg.
The Metra does stop in Schaumburg, though. It's right by where the Schaumburg Flyers play.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM

308 posts, read 760,038 times
Some things to consider:

There are several fantastic boat tours that go either on the lake or on the river. It all depends on what you want - an architectural tour perhaps or maybe just a ride on the lake and have some drinks.

The Sears Tower is nice but I have always preferred the Hancock Building mostly because it's near other attractions. In addition, they have a lounge on the 96th floor and go up there, get a drink, and you don't have to pay to get up there.

I have heard the fireworks at Arlington are pretty good. However, I think they're on July 2nd this year? But I could be wrong.

Taste of Chicago is on July 3rd. However, I know what the overall thought on that festival is. But personally, being an out of towner just stopping by, it isn't that bad if it's just a stop. I wouldn't spend all day there but get a strip of tickets and try something? And that's basically in Grant Park and right next to Millennium Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago