Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM

593 posts, read 1,763,707 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Not sure if this forum is the right place to be asking this question and this is a long, rambling post, but here goes anyways...

For those familiar with the Wicker Park/Bucktown/UKR Village area, my girlfriend and I are flying into Chicago for her birthday in a couple of weeks (we're staying 4 nights), and neither of us have ever been there. We're staying in an "apartment" at the Wicker Park Inn (off Milwaukee btw North and Division) since we wanted to actually stay in a neighborhood as opposed to downtown.

Anyways, I have to admit it was more my idea than hers to go to Chicago since Ive been wanting to visit for years and this was the only vacation time we would both have until next spring. We actually have to fly out on her birthday and she's not too thrilled about spending much of the day at the airport and on a four hour flight (we're coming from the West Coast and arrive at 6:30 pm).

So--to the heart of the matter--I'm really trying to plan a special night out (on that first night, her birthday) to make up for it. The plan is to go out and have a nice dinner at a restaurant and then hit up a bunch of bars. The area we're staying in apparently has tons of options and there's a lot at stake here so I want to make the right choices!

Basically, we want a place thats got a romantic feel and champagne but is down to earth. She specifically said she either wants a really good cheesburger or seafood pasta (although, I think she prefers the burger since she doesnt allow herself to eat one normally!), and a place that has good appetizer options. Neither of us are into overly complicated foo-foo style food, just something quality with a good feel inside the restaurant.

As for the bars, we both like down to earth places with good beer and whiskey, interesting atmosphere, friendly people (as opposed to the overly polite but cold attitude of many Seattlites, but thats another topic), can be divey or not, and definitely trying to avoid frat-boy bars. Is there any particular stretch or strip which has a bunch of bars like this that you would recommend?

The plan I have sketched out right now (based purely on internet research) is to go to a restaurant called Jane's on Cortland (reviews say they have a good burger), then go to the Bucktown Pub and Lottie's Pub on the way back toward the Damen and North intersection, where there seems to be tons more bars.

Whew, sorry for the excessively long post! Is anybody still there?

Seriously, if anyone has any other suggestions for restaurants and/or bars in that area, or for a better overall plan, please let me know! It is much appreciated...

Cheers,
Jimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Well...be right back...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM

cool...

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Alright, I'll rephrase the questions:

Anyone know of a good sit-down restaurant with a burger on their menu in Wicker Park or nearby neighborhoods?

Also, can anyone recommend some fun non-fratty bars in the area?

Much appreciated...

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,117,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Alright, I'll rephrase the questions:

Anyone know of a good sit-down restaurant with a burger on their menu in Wicker Park or nearby neighborhoods?

Also, can anyone recommend some fun non-fratty bars in the area?

Much appreciated...
I was going to say - you typically don't hear romantic, champagne, and cheeseburger mentioned in the same sentence for a restaurant request.

But I've touched myself while covered in White Castle sliders, so I think I might be able to help you out.

Duchamp is maybe more upscale than what you're looking for, but they have a really awesome burger. It could even be considered a romantic burger, especially if you order it with champagne. Blue Line also has a decent burger, and its interior and ambience could make it a decent low-key date place. And I've recommended it here before, but I really like Old Oak Tap. Seems like it might be what you're looking for.

As far as bars, I like Darkroom on Chicago. Innjoy on Division is a nice bar, they usually play good music and most nights the crowd is a decent mix of people. Stay away from Can's and Nick's to avoid too much of a frat crowd. Stay away from Debonair Social Club to avoid too much self-obsessed hipsterism.

Good luck in your journey. Hopefully you will find that perfect mix of ground beef and grand people to satisfy your lady.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Food:

Club Lucky (Italian) has pretty classy and good food at decent prices.

However I do not think they offer cheeseburgers. So you might want to go there for some seafood salad and other things.

1824 W. Wabansia Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 227-2300

Club Lucky
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only place I can think of right now that is fairly close to Wicker Park (as well is more of a "sit down") and that has GREAT burgers is Leona's. I cannot quite remember if they offer champagne though.

1936 W Augusta Blvd
(between Damen Ave & Winchester Ave)
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 292-4300

Leonas Restaurants In Chicago Since 1950
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could also go to Paramount Room (although it is a bit more than a mile south of Wicker Park) you will have to take a cab or bus.

They offer a good deal on a great Kobe burger and a pint of beer for $10. They also have more high end food that it seems like you may be looking for.

415 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 829-6300

http://www.paramountroom.com/
================================================== ================================================== ============

Bars:

I am partial to:

Louie's Pub.
1659 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 227-7947

Phyllis Musical Inn
1800 W Division St
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 486-9862‎

Beachwood
1415 N Wood St
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 486-9806

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-21-2009 at 11:37 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Great stuff so far...I'm looking into all of those places (pretty lame Friday night, I know) and a few already look better than Janes.

if anyone else has any more suggestions, fire away...

Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 AM

[quote=jdiddy;10395019]I was going to say - you typically don't hear romantic, champagne, and cheeseburger mentioned in the same sentence for a restaurant request.

She's an interesting lady, I'll tell ya. 100% Irish, she's also half my size and can chug a beer twice as fast as I can (and Im no slouch)...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,218,803 times
Ok, I live in Wicker Park. Here are some places to check out based on what you are looking for.

Look on this website for more details: Metromix Chicago | Your Chicago Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Places to eat: Silver Cloud, Bristol, Duchamp, Old Oak Tap

Interesting Bars: Violet Hour, Map Room, Danny's, Charleston, Quenchers, Small Bar, Gold Star, Bar DeVille

I would not go the Jane's, Lotties, and Bucktown Pub route that you are thinking. Not that these places are bad, but you can do much better in the neighborhood.

If you are looking to avoid frat boy types stat out of Cans, Plan-B, Wicker Park Tavern, and 50/50

Stay out of Debonair Social Club and Crocodile to avoid over the top hipsters.

Make sure to check out the shops on Damen Ave and Milwaukee Ave, and then head to Division St during the day to grab a drink on one of many sidewalk patios.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks again for the tips, this is very helpful...Right now I think it's between Duchamp and the Paramount Room. As Avenger said, the Paramount Room is a trek but the menu looks awesome there. Duchamp also looks great and is closer.

Can anyone tell me anything about Bin Wine Cafe and Chaise Lounge? They both have burgers and dont seem too expensive...would either fit the bill for what I described?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Ok, I live in Wicker Park. Here are some places to check out based on what you are looking for.

Look on this website for more details: Metromix Chicago | Your Chicago Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Places to eat: Silver Cloud, Bristol, Duchamp, Old Oak Tap

Interesting Bars: Violet Hour, Map Room, Danny's, Charleston, Quenchers, Small Bar, Gold Star, Bar DeVille

I would not go the Jane's, Lotties, and Bucktown Pub route that you are thinking. Not that these places are bad, but you can do much better in the neighborhood.

If you are looking to avoid frat boy types stat out of Cans, Plan-B, Wicker Park Tavern, and 50/50

Stay out of Debonair Social Club and Crocodile to avoid over the top hipsters.

Make sure to check out the shops on Damen Ave and Milwaukee Ave, and then head to Division St during the day to grab a drink on one of many sidewalk patios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago