Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 AM

6 posts, read 22,226 times

Advertisements

So, I recently visited Chicago for the first time, and I loved it. I spent most of my time in the downtown area and it made a great impression on me. I'm twenty-one and almost done with college, and had planned to move to a large city when I graduated. I think I would like that city to be Chicago.

I will be twenty-two and a young professional, so hopefully I will have a decent income. I'm pretty reserved, but I like to go out 1-2 times a week. I also DJ and am really into music. I would like to be able to walk or take public transportation basically everywhere(shops, food, libraries), though I do own a vehicle.

I'm wondering if anyone would suggest the west or south loop area for me, and what it might cost for a decent apartment(preferably a loft) in this area.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Lofts are overrated and expensive. If you plan on living by yourself, plan on $700 to $1000 on a 1br.

West Loop and South Loop aren't typically the places for the fresh out of college set to go, those areas are filled with more late 20's and 30's. Go to Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville your first year. You'll be with 95% of the rest of the fresh out of college, fresh into the city set, so you'll have a better time, and be a bit more comfortable while you explore the rest of the city.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
Lincoln Park or Lakeview (Wrigleyville is a part of Lakeview) would be my choice. The commute to downtown is a breeze(express buses or the el/trains) and there is so much fun street life, cafes, restaurants, cute side streets. As a point of reference, check out the intersection of N Clark and Diversey as this is the sort of epicenter dividing Lakeview and Lincoln Park. Great area and you are only 3 blocks from being in the actual park and lakefront trails.

There is nothing wrong with the south or west loop. However, it is a bit boring by comparison.

Good luck to you. Chicago is a great city.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Okay, I was under the impression that the loop had quite a bit to do, but then again I have only been there a couple of times. I'm interested in night life, and there being a lot to do around me, but I also like my quiet.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

188 posts, read 605,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey914 View Post
I'm pretty reserved, but I like to go out 1-2 times a week.
Keep in mind that once you're in the city, you're going to be surrounded by many, many more compelling things to do than where you are now. Before I moved here, I was much the same -- going out once or twice a week. Now I'm constantly turning down offers or having to begrudgingly say "no" to really cool events because I simply have to try to stay in more often. Currently I'm going out 5-6 times a week.

Just something to bear in mind when thinking about your budget and where to live. Especially if you're into music -- you won't believe the amount of shows you'll want to go to, and there are several dozens every night.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Keep in mind that once you're in the city, you're going to be surrounded by many, many more compelling things to do than where you are now. Before I moved here, I was much the same -- going out once or twice a week. Now I'm constantly turning down offers or having to begrudgingly say "no" to really cool events because I simply have to try to stay in more often. Currently I'm going out 5-6 times a week.

Just something to bear in mind when thinking about your budget and where to live. Especially if you're into music -- you won't believe the amount of shows you'll want to go to, and there are several dozens every night.
Yeah, thats good advice. But, most likely I will have my hands pretty full with work, so that should cut out some of the temptation. I've managed to find some studios and one bedrooms in the $600-800 range that look nice though.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM

I work full-time, organize two book clubs and begin my masters in two weeks. I still find so many compelling things to do that I often skimp out on sleep just to see it (I mean, really -- a Smiths/Joy Division tribute residency? Belle & Sebastian DJ remix dance party? BYOB swing dance lessons? Mikhail Barishnikov at the Harris Theater? A Film-Noir themed theater fundraiser? These things are just too good to pass up).

Not saying it's healthy. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey914 View Post
Yeah, thats good advice. But, most likely I will have my hands pretty full with work, so that should cut out some of the temptation. I've managed to find some studios and one bedrooms in the $600-800 range that look nice though.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I work full-time, organize two book clubs and begin my masters in two weeks. I still find so many compelling things to do that I often skimp out on sleep just to see it (I mean, really -- a Smiths/Joy Division tribute residency? Belle & Sebastian DJ remix dance party? BYOB swing dance lessons? Mikhail Barishnikov at the Harris Theater? A Film-Noir themed theater fundraiser? These things are just too good to pass up).

Not saying it's healthy. Just sayin'.
Smiths/Joy Division tribute residency? Where is this? Belle & Sebastian DJ remix dance party? Sounds like you need to be my tour guide lol.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM

The Handsome Devliz play at Abbey Pub the last Wednesday of every month. Last month they played a Morrissey then a Smiths set. This month they're playing with another Joy Division tribute band. The month following that, a Depeche Mode tribute band. It's an incredible show, actually.

The B&S remix was a few months ago at Dark Room, an art gallery/music bar in Ukranian Village.

Time Out and Metromix will be your friends.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Sounds like I will have my hands full there.

Thanks for the suggestions. You have good taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: