Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
A family of four with less than say 300K/year doesn't cut it in my view.
300K seems awfully lofty to me. I am not currently working so my family of 3 lives pretty comfortably in my neighborhood on 80K a year. We just rent. It would be impossible for us to buy into this neighborhood or even the majority of the neighborhoods on the Northside. We aren't struggling though and I am able to have my daughter in several recreational programs and we eat out 3 or 4 nights a week. We are planning to send her to public school at Lincoln and there are quite a few good public elementary schools on the North and Northwest side. Things become trickier once high school and sometimes junior high school approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
300K seems awfully lofty to me. I am not currently working so my family of 3 lives pretty comfortably in my neighborhood on 80K a year. We just rent. It would be impossible for us to buy into this neighborhood or even the majority of the neighborhoods on the Northside. We aren't struggling though and I am able to have my daughter in several recreational programs and we eat out 3 or 4 nights a week. We are planning to send her to public school at Lincoln and there are quite a few good public elementary schools on the North and Northwest side. Things become trickier once high school and sometimes junior high school approach.
Well, what I consider to be really cool isn't on the far north or northwest side, by and large. Not that there aren't nice places there, but I was thinking more like a brownstone in Streeterville, or a nice townhouse in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, or a nice glass high rise in River east or even the South Loop. Something where you could have all of the advantages of urban living with minimal grunge. Maybe even a cool small house in Andersonville. All of that takes some money, but it makes it sensible to live in this place. Otherwise there are many other places in the country which are cheaper, have less crime, and are less grungy.

Just my take ...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,000 times
Default ha

hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Phoenix, AZ. I have lived there before.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM

211 posts, read 529,992 times
I like the east valley better than Phoenix proper. Scottsdale is of course nice, but I'm talking Mesa, Tempe.

The Phoenix area is nice though, me likie.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times
Chicago is very much a 'black licorice' city.
You either love it, or you hate it. There is no in between.
People who make a flighty move here without bothering to consider all factors involved are flipping a coin. You may get along, you may not. There's a whole lot more to Chicago than lots of blacks and cold winter weather.
There are also people who are destined to be miserable no matter where they go. They traipse around like Gypsies, landing in new places and complaining about everywhere they wind up because they fail to realize that it isn't "where they are" that's miserable, but rather "who they are".

Being a resident of Florida for a while taught me this. That is the one state where everyone believes they can 'leave their lives behind' and suddenly, everything is transformed into sunshine and Mickey Mouse by sole virtue of where they are. Most of them are horribly let down and wind up blaming "Florida" for their own life-suckitude. Chicago is no different.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
I'm hitting the road again and don't want to look back.

If your actually thinking about moving to Chicago, make sure you visit here for a lengthy period.

Really get a feel for the city, cost of living, winter, and the people. Chicago is a fine city, but for me, there are way to many negatives that out weigh the positives here. Don't move here blind, be 100 percent sure you know what your getting yourself into. Make sure your have connections here, a job, friends of friends, or even relatives. You may love it or hate it.
I'm curious here; what is Chicago-specific about this advice? Aside from the fact that it's impossible to ever be "100 percent sure that you know what you're getting yourself into," wouldn't this advice apply to moving to any new place anywhere?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-03-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 03:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I moved here blind without a job, connections, friends or relatives and loved it - best decision I ever made.

Thanks for your story!
roll back the clock....

x2 lol.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM

121 posts, read 322,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
To me Chicago is on of the great places in the country to live if you have adequate money to enjoy the benefits (or have no kids and have decent money). A family of four with less than say 300K/year doesn't cut it in my view.
I think you're overestimating the cost of living in Chicago a bit. I know plenty of families in near north that do well enough on 200k.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
I think you're overestimating the cost of living in Chicago a bit. I know plenty of families in near north that do well enough on 200k.
Yeah, you can do ok for 200K, but it's tight with kids in private school (22K per year per child no tax break) and depending on your priorities. I was thinking more about the amount of money where I started to experience a crossover point and felt that I really enjoyed and benefited from living here. Not that you can't live comfortably for less, but that it you can reap the benefits of living here vs., say, a suburb near atlanta georgia, and honestly say that it far superior.

I've lived off of 20K a year and been pretty happy, but if I were scrimping I would probably move elsewhere, all else equal.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
A lottle bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago