Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,888 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot about Lincoln Park, but what about Lincoln Square...specifically Western and Foster? I know it is small. Is it a good and/or safe place for a 20 something female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Foster is a bit north of Lincoln square, and I'm sure you'd be fine up there, but if I were you I'd try to look for a place closer to Lawrence and closer to the Western Brown Line stop. You'll like it better down there.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM

33 posts, read 45,336 times
Guys, how are the areas at North Lincoln and Berwyn and West Laurence Ave and North Manor Ave in Lincoln Square? I think the latter is in Albany Park right?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Lincoln Square is a great hood. Got something for everyone, including a 20 yo single F.
However, as J33 states, look S of Lawrence and maybe E of Western and you'll be in the heart of it, near public transpo, near bars, rests, shops, theatre, parks, etc, etc.
We move about 1 year ago, and although I love my new city, I wouldn't hesitate to live in LS again. (granted, we're a family with small kids with LS is kind of known for, but it's a great area).

Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Lincoln Square is a great hood. Got something for everyone, including a 20 yo single F.
However, as J33 states, look S of Lawrence and maybe E of Western and you'll be in the heart of it, near public transpo, near bars, rests, shops, theatre, parks, etc, etc.
We move about 1 year ago, and although I love my new city, I wouldn't hesitate to live in LS again. (granted, we're a family with small kids with LS is kind of known for, but it's a great area).
Thanks. The condo we are looking at is 3 blocks west of North Western and North of W Lawrence. What is the negatives of this area? It has most of the amenities we need for now. We will buy a home after we move to Chicago. My husband is flying to Chicago to check it out Thursday through the weekend. We will also check out places South of Lawrence and east of Western.

Thanks
loquacious

Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
I've lived in that part of Lincoln Square for 2 years though I'm moving out in a month. I like the neighborhood; it's safe and more diverse by class and ethnicity than the more whitebread, gentrified part of Lincoln Square to the southeast. A mix of working and middle class and various ethnicities--Greeks, Jews, Mexicans, Arabs, Germans, Irish, Koreans, Blacks----you name it. Even some of those plain old white people of indeterminite ethnicity.

The neighborhood is close to the park that runs along the river and North Shore channel, very good for walking and cycling.

I don't think the neighborhood has any particular negatives other than those associated with living in Chicago in general.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I've lived in that part of Lincoln Square for 2 years though I'm moving out in a month. I like the neighborhood; it's safe and more diverse by class and ethnicity than the more whitebread, gentrified part of Lincoln Square to the southeast. A mix of working and middle class and various ethnicities--Greeks, Jews, Mexicans, Arabs, Germans, Irish, Koreans, Blacks----you name it. Even some of those plain old white people of indeterminite ethnicity.

The neighborhood is close to the park that runs along the river and North Shore channel, very good for walking and cycling.

I don't think the neighborhood has any particular negatives other than those associated with living in Chicago in general.
You make it sound like being white is a negative thing?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
I don't consider Foster & Western "Lincoln Square." I'd place the true Lincoln Square in the Montrose to Lawrence and Damen to Ravenswood geographical area. :-). Personally, though I know people who live in that area ... I wouldn't choose Foster & Western (which some might describe as "East Bowmanville". ;-)

Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM

This is confusing. I am glad my husband will be in Chicago Thursday to look at this area. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't consider Foster & Western "Lincoln Square." I'd place the true Lincoln Square in the Montrose to Lawrence and Damen to Ravenswood geographical area. :-). Personally, though I know people who live in that area ... I wouldn't choose Foster & Western (which some might describe as "East Bowmanville". ;-)
What's bad about Foster and Western? I just want to live in a safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago