Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

loquacious, isn't your husband going to be working in SE Chicago area near the suburbs and Indiana? If so, I would not recommend moving to Lincoln Square or anywhere remotely even close to it. In your other thread, we expressed solely to not look at anywhere basically north of the downtown area for this very reason. Unless he wants to pull his hair out everyday and be stressed, don't do it. Traffic on the freeway he would have to take can be atrocious for miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You make it sound like being white is a negative thing?
If you're typical it may well be.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
What's bad about Foster and Western? I just want to live in a safe area.
It's very safe, so you shouldn't worry about that.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 AM

What you should worry about is your husband's atrocious commute to work that will take hours every single day to SE Chicago area. Don't live anywhere north of the downtown area/south loop, loquacious. Trust me. It's not worth it unless you want your husband to pull his hair out every day and be stressed as hell and spend less time with his family.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What you should worry about is your husband's atrocious commute to work that will take hours every single day to SE Chicago area. Don't live anywhere north of the downtown area/south loop, loquacious. Trust me. It's not worth it unless you want your husband to pull his hair out every day and be stressed as hell and spend less time with his family.
Maro makes an important point; traffic from the North to South sides and vice versa is terrible during rush hours and often at any time of day. When I drive down to Florida via I-65 I leave the North Side before 6 AM to be sure of a good shot on the Kennedy down to the Ryan. And I plan my last day's drive back to hit coming into Chicago either before 1 PM or after 7 PM. The last thing you need after a day's drive up from Chattanooga or Nashville is to get stuck in stop and go traffic.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 AM

33 posts, read 45,350 times
Quote:
Although you mean well, we should always watch the tone of our emails. It comes across like you are scolding me. I am an adult and what my husband and I decide is our decision alone. I am just asking about neighborhoods in Chicago. My husband drives an hour in traffic currently and will drive to his job in Chicago from his sister's house (near Lincoln Square) Thursday during rush hour to see if he may indeed pull his hair out. Houston is not that much smaller than Chicago. For the record, We are looking at places in Hyde Park as well. Sheesh...

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
Although you mean well, we should always watch the tone of our emails. It comes across like you are scolding me. I am an adult and what my husband and I decide is our decision alone. I am just asking about neighborhoods in Chicago. My husband drives an hour in traffic currently and will drive to his job in Chicago from his sister's house (near Lincoln Square) Thursday during rush hour to see if he may indeed pull his hair out. Houston is not that much smaller than Chicago. For the record, We are looking at places in Hyde Park as well. Sheesh...

Thanks everyone.
Point taken, but in the other thread, many of us pointed this out already. That is why, because it sounded like you were not listening to us on this.

In any case, the north side of Chicago (where Lincoln Square is located) has terrible traffic on the expressways. My father grew up in Los Angeles, which has notoriously bad freeway traffic. The first time we drove on this stretch of interstate in question in Chicago, he got pissed off and started saying how it was worse in Chicago than LA. Not everywhere is bad in Chicago, but this particular stretch is very bad. It's as bad as about anything you'll find in the US freeway-wise. I have driven in NYC, LA, Honolulu, Houston, etc and this part can be as bad as it gets out of any of them. Last summer on a weekend, it took my friends and I over 1 hour (probably closer to 90 minutes) to drive 3 miles on that stretch going back into the city (south), if that gives you any indication.

Your husband's journey from Lincoln Square will probably be 20-25 miles, and I'd say about half of those are in this zone of badness for many hours a day. He can easily avoid it in the morning if he leaves early enough, but coming home is a different story at a normal hour. It might work if he's leaving before 7am everyday and doesn't get home until about 8-9pm

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If you're typical it may well be.
Oh I see.... for those not enlightened souls who have open arms for all? For those who may not want to feel like they're living in the international terminal at O'Hare?
So wanting to be around other who live, look, talk like you is a negative?

Funny how liberals talk about tolerance until someone has a different opinion.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM

33 posts, read 45,350 times
Quote:
Point taken, but in the other thread, many of us pointed this out already. That is why, because it sounded like you were not listening to us on this.
Thanks for your input. Although people may decide not to listen (not the case with me), we can't make them and sure can't appear rude about it. It is simply not that serious. We don't know what other factors that drive a person's decisions. Moving on now. Again thanks.

Peace...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Oh I see.... for those not enlightened souls who have open arms for all? For those who may not want to feel like they're living in the international terminal at O'Hare?
So wanting to be around other who live, look, talk like you is a negative?

Funny how liberals talk about tolerance until someone has a different opinion.
Being liberal doesn't mean I should tolerate wickedness, quite the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago