Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Where did I say anything about him buying either?
Fair enough. But you at least implied renting a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Fair enough. But you at least implied renting a house.
'Tis typical in the burbs, my friend. He should keep his options open.

OP - are you trying to keep the rent to $650 all inclusive or can you pay up to $700-725 including utilities? If you have that option, it definitely opens you up to studios in good areas but if you don't know very many people here it would probably behoove you anyway to get some roommates.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
My biggest concern is with the OP's first paragraph.

First off I wouldn't move here unless you've already locked in some sort of job or stable income. Eventhough Chicago is huge, and has a lot of jobs, it's still hard to find one (Unemployment is at 9.6% and still climbing).

Secondly, there's a ton of people here like yourself, from a small town, trying to run away from something, thinking Chicago is the answer to their problem(s). It's not. No matter where you go, you're still going to have the same problems you think you left in your small town, and you're only going to pile on more problems when you get here.

Getting settled in Chicago isn't easy. It's a big adjustment. Small town life and big city life are COMPLETELY different. I grew up in the suburbs, not urban, but far from small town, and Chicago took me about a year and a half to finally get settled and adjusted to the lifestyle. You said you will only be here 1.5 years. It's going to be a hassle for you. Whatever you think you know about living in a big city, there's probably a lot more you don't realize.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
Hey stop discouraging the guy, the city needs more Midwestern people like him than it does another scumbag illegal immigrant. I love it. Here we have Third World illiterates coming to this city and "adjusting", yet a native-born 22 year old male who speaks perfect English, the descendent of people who pioneered the West, is told he cannot?

This is precisely what's wrong with the minds of all Americans today.
"Scumbag illegal immigrant"? Take a nap, pal.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM

342 posts, read 1,232,886 times
Quote:
If you want to party and get laid, don't move to some bizarre "diversity" neighborhood. Good-looking chicks won't dig that. If you are looking for some butt hipster types maybe, but it doesn't sound like you're into that type.
that is just stupid.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
that is just stupid.
x2. I was about to comment on that when I was distracted by the other gem he laid on us.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM

being diverse doesn't make it crap, idiot.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Says you.

I definitely think it does. Perhaps you could read one of CD's many, many threads that address "white flight" (so dependable a phenomenon, that there is a well-known sociology term for it, thousands of books written about it, etc.).

Diversity is an enfeeblement.

Look that's my view, you are entitled to yours, but at least back it up with something legit.

Hey OP: I advise you to eschew diveristy neighborhoods if you want to meet hot girls. It's really that simple. Don't waste your precious time in them. I remember a good line in the movie "Six Degrees of Separation" where the young couple (the guy turns out to cheat on his nice girlfriend with Will Smith's homo character in a horse carriage)......where the young couple moves to Manhattan with all these ideals, they end up living around low-class people and he says, the next thing you know time ticks by and without realizing it: "that is your life".

OP: If you end up in some loser so-called "cultural" neighborhood (actually devoid of advanced culture), then make damn sure that doesn't become your life, that you don't drop down slowly, to that level. I know plenty of people in Logan Square (mostly dudes) who finally realize that a bunch of taco stands and being surrounded by low-education people isn't "culture", and they really lose touch with higher forms of culture and women. For some reason, hot women don't fall into this "multi-cult" trap as much as men, and they waste far less time in those locales. So that's my advice.
the OP says he prefers diversity. so go preach your racist crap to somebody else.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
So Gioobag your ideal woman would be Eva Braun then, eh?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM

The OP didn't even say he was white, did he?

Man. "Immigrant scumbag". "Diversity is an enfeeblement". I think we get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago