Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times

Advertisements

Lake Shore Drive is U.S. 41 south of Foster only, but I can't imagine that the northern section is under any different jurisdiction. Maybe someone else can answer this.

To the posters who actually think converting LSD to a toll road is feasible, you must not use this road often during rush periods. The morning rush already backs up on to dozens of city arterials. The Belmont interchange in particular is such a tremendous cluster****--and I really couldn't imagine adding another obstacle there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Because that isn't the role of government. Infringing on liberties of the populace due to the opinions of some is an action of blatent disregard for our constitution. How arrogant do people have to be to believe that their opinions on matters are 100% truths?

What if the majority of people felt that cyclists create unsafe conditions for drivers and pushed the government to implement a bicycle sales tax of 400% to discourage people from biking?

The point of government is not to create civil liberty hardships through legislation based on individual opinions but rather provide the people the basic means and services to conduct their lives as they see fit.
Mortgage deductions, charity deductions, marriage benefit - all attempts at modifying behavior through tax law. You find this...scary and abuse of power?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Mortgage deductions, charity deductions, marriage benefit - all attempts at modifying behavior through tax law. You find this...scary and abuse of power?
Well, you've exposed the weakness of Libertarianism. It sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in practice.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
It might not be too far fetched as Gov. Daniels of Indiana just sold the entire Indiana tollway for 4B. According to what I heard him say there were a few caveats the new owner had to agree to.

The question in my mind, is who actually owns the OUter Drive? Is it the city or is it the state?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,688,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
These items are different as they reduce your tax burden rather than increase it. Its the difference between positive and negative reinforcement.

Eitherway though, all these "behavior altering" government interventions do is increase the size of the government to administer said deductions which in turn increases your taxes. If the government would have stayed out of it in the first place, we wouldn't need deductions as we would already have limited government and less taxation.

Thus, no.. I don't agree. That isn't what government is for.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It might not be too far fetched as Gov. Daniels of Indiana just sold the entire Indiana tollway for 4B. According to what I heard him say there were a few caveats the new owner had to agree to.

The question in my mind, is who actually owns the OUter Drive? Is it the city or is it the state?
I just think that Lake Shore Drive is too compact and restricted by context to operate effectively as a tollway. It's one thing to do this out in a cornfield somewhere, and another thing entirely to do it in dense, North Side neighborhoods. Note that none of the existing expressways that penetrate into the heart of the city are tollways--and they are MUCH more generously spaced out than LSD.

And I think the other point that jcarlilesiu was trying to make earlier is that the city would not control a revenue stream from Lake Shore Drive. If anything, it would probably be absorbed into the current tollway authority.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
There are NO toll booths required. The level of technology is ALREADY PROVED AND IN USE in London:

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that there is no argument that the City of London is considerably more dense than LSD.

The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is a completely separate layer of government that has a very limited scope. Its bond holders are EXTREMELY powerful and have no desire to stray from their mission. Regulations, Rules, and Policies (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,1398189&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTA L - broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 03:28 PM

"Congestion pricing" is something that was considered by Daley, but it was deemed a bad idea. New York also ditched the idea after flirting with it for a while.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Nevermind

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
"Congestion pricing" is something that was considered by Daley, but it was deemed a bad idea. New York also ditched the idea after flirting with it for a while.
If I remember correctly, NYC didn't ditch it, they couldn't get it through the state's legislature. Sometimes I think it'd be great if we could erase all our political boundaries and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago