Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

24 posts, read 64,941 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Chicago soon and just received a job offer in Bronzville around 32nd and Indiana. Could anyone give me info on the safety of that area after dark (7pm) for a 24 y/o female?

Also, I went on HopStop to find some info on commutes, but would like Chicago resident's opinions.

I was ready to take an apartment in the Wrigleyville area, but hopstop says the train ride would be 47 minutes. Lincoln Park wasn't much better at 44 minutes. How accurate is this/is it do-able?

Is there any locations that one would recommend I look for apartments in. My price range is up to $1300 for a 1 bdrm. I'm just looking to reduce that commute time.

Looking in the loop and river north, I'm not sure if I'd fit in there. It's a bit more of a modern/business type crowd I think? I'm looking for something a little more vintage and homey/relaxed with younger folks, but not some crazy party sceen.

Would anyone like to suggest some neighborhoods with decent commutes that they think would be nice?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Top of my head I'd say that estimate is maybe just a bit high -- the variables are just how crowded the El gets and how many people cram on at northside stops vs empty the heck out as you get south of the Loop and are almost doing a "reverse commute". I am sure your commute times would fall dramatically if you started in the South Loop or even China Town, though you would be in for a VERY different scene with the nightlife...

I know there are LOTS of people that live in LP or LV and would kill to have a commute under an hour instead driving to some far flung suburb, so maybe you ought to see things in a different light.

The IIT and Illinois College of Optometry campuses are well patroled, much of the worst public housing that was in that area is gone, but that does not mean that this is now a thriving garden spot. I would think a VERY street smart / aware person would be OK, but why / how often would be working down there after 7PM -- in the late fall/ winter/early spring that is well past dark...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka6 View Post
...I was ready to take an apartment in the Wrigleyville area, but hopstop says the train ride would be 47 minutes. Lincoln Park wasn't much better at 44 minutes...

...I'm looking for something a little more vintage and homey/relaxed with younger folks, but not some crazy party sceen...
You should not move to most parts Lincoln Park or "Wrigleyville" if you do not want the party scene.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
but why / how often would be working down there after 7PM -- in the late fall/ winter/early spring that is well past dark...
Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly sure how often I would be working late as we haven't worked out hours yet, but was just throwing that out there as a possible option. So I was just trying to get a feel for what others thought it would be like walking to the train after dark in that area.

If 40 or so minutes is a pretty average commute then I'm willing to accept it. Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
...So I was just trying to get a feel for what others thought it would be like walking to the train after dark in that area...
I would not do it. I don't care what race you are either-it is not a place to be messing walking around after dark in any season.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You should not move to most parts Lincoln Park or "Wrigleyville" if you do not want the party scene.

Thanks for the reply Avengerfire. What I meant by that statement was that I don't NEED a party scene. I know a lot of people ask about areas that have a good bar scene and such. I meant that I didn't want repliers to discount nice areas based on the fact that I'm 24 and might be looking for a "happening" area of town.

I would mostly like an area that is not too much of a communte, convenient, and not completely dead on the average weekend.

I know about the popluar neighborhoods, but was just wondering if anyone knew of areas that aren't seen as the typical destination for a younger person, but still decent places to live.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I would not do it. I don't care what race you are either-it is not a place to be messing walking around after dark in any season.

Hmm, this kind of puts a different perspective on things. I was told by the recruiter that Bronzville has greatly improved safety wise in the past few years and it wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't want to turn down a good job offer for fear of being attacked. This is disappointing news

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM

^ What train will you be walking to? The Red or Green Line? How late will you be walking ?^

Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,433 times
Quote:
So I was just trying to get a feel for what others thought it would be like walking to the train after dark in that area.
As far as Bronzeville goes, it's not really bad. I walk and ride my bike down 33rd st right there after dark pretty regularly. You will often see college students walking away from IIT both to the east (towards the towers on King Dr) and to the west (towards the 33rd st entrance to the Red Line).

I'm in the process of moving to a new place right now, and I'm envious of your (potential) commute between Wrigleyville and IIT. If you live close enough to the Red Line you won't even have a transfer. I would guess it's 45 minutes door to door. Not bad.

Definitely a place to be cautious, though. Just south of there is pretty rough.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
^ What train will you be walking to? The Red or Green Line? How late will you be walking ?^

I would be closer to the Green 35th Bronzeville IIT stop on the way home, but could probably just keep going to the Red Line Sox-35th station if that is safer??

I would guess on average to be leaving work at 5pm or so M-F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago