Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 4,874 times

Advertisements

I am in the final stages of my change of station to Chicago and I won't actually step foot in Chicago until probably Oct.19/20 and have to report on Oct.22... that doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to test things out and figure out traffic patterns so I figured I'd ask here.

I am moving into Hyde Park to the 55th and Everett area and I'll be working basically at Jackson & state st.

the most direct CCA route would be to take the #6 from HP/56th to the Jackson/Michigan stop but does anyone know how that commute handles during the rush hour?

would it be better to take the #55 over to the Garfield Green line stop and take the Green into the Adams/Wabash stop?

every mapping service list the #6 into the loop as around a 35-ish minute ride and the #55/Greenline as a 45-ish minute ride.

any thoughts and/or ideas are appreciated.

also while in the belly of the beast of winter, how painful is a bus ride into the loop from HP? again would the #55/Greenline option be better during the hard parts of winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,005,769 times
Well, to start with...the traffic south of the I-55 intersection on Lake Shore Drive is not bad. Actually most traffic in the area near the lake south of that isn't bad. It's usually after the I-55 or around Soldier Field where it starts to get busier.

There's an express bus (X28) that stops at Hyde Park & 55th. Take that to Adams and State. That would be the route with the least amount of walking and everything. The bus ride is 25 minutes, up to maybe 30 total. That route basically takes you from the next street over to right near your work.

If you don't want to do that, then there's a Metra station at 56th and Lake Park. You can take the ME (Metra Electric) line a few stops to the Van Buren stop and walk a few blocks to work from there. The price is probably about the same as CTA, but faster.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,018,556 times
Why not try the Metra Electric route? The 55th street station does not look that far from everett and will drop you off at the van buran station. Granted the bus trips are doable and cheaper so it isn't quite a blow out on that count but I can't see any advantage of heading to the green line from everett.

Last edited by chirack; 10-15-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM

644 posts, read 1,191,209 times
Take the express buses. Metra is expensive and has infrequent service. Further, if you buy the CTA monthly pass instead of Metra, then you can use it on weekends too to go other places without paying any additional fares. It really doesn't mater if you take the #6 or #X28. I'd just take whichever comes first.

You should only mess with the 'L' if traffic is bad on Lake Shore Drive for some reason. The green line is fine for a morning commute, but it's probably better to take the red line on the way home. The Garfield red line station feels a lot safer to me than the Garfield green line station. I'm not sure if data actually backs that up, but you're going to want to go for the safest option possible when you have to stand there on the street and wait for the Garfield bus.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 4,874 times
thanks everyone, your responses reminded me of things I left out...

1. I will not have a car at least until Feb or May, not bothering to get my VW back to winterized... I've lived in Dallas and had to bypass a blocked heater core so I don't want to deal with it nor driving in snow etc...

2. I will have my transit pass(CCA or Metra, whichever I choose) paid for.

3. I'm looking for the safest route possible, being from Texas I feel safe standing on a street corner in the afternoon but when I'm in Chicago I'll be less protected and therefore be looking to go the "extra" stop to be as "safe-as-possible".

thanks for the info on X28, I haven't been shown that option on the map systems I'm looking at... guess I should use the CCA website for best results. my mind is kinda spinning as I'm trying to figure 10 things out at once, thanks for the help.

also anyone have any experience with TLC management, Museum Walk apt or Woodlawn House apts mainly? I'm trying to spend no more than $750 on a studio in a "safe" neighborhood that doesn't have too much activity and there were a few recommendations for Hyde Park and Lincoln Park.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,005,769 times
By the way, Google Directions is your friend for figuring out how to get places. Click the bus icon to get public transit options. You can specify when you want to leave or when you want to arrive and Google will figure out the best public transit options for you.

Also, if you have a smart phone, get a transit tracker app. I have an app which I can input the stop I'm wondering about (based on the bus route number and direction, or transit line and direction) and it will tell me how many minutes the next 3-5 vehicles will be there in. My preferences are saved too so I don't have to enter it in every single time I open up the app. If you are out and about, it comes in handy because it's pretty simple. You can time when you want to leave so you minimize standing outside if you are to wait for a bus and stuff like that.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,456,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrucker View Post
I am moving into Hyde Park to the 55th and Everett area and I'll be working basically at Jackson & state st.

the most direct CCA route would be to take the #6 from HP/56th to the Jackson/Michigan stop but does anyone know how that commute handles during the rush hour?

would it be better to take the #55 over to the Garfield Green line stop and take the Green into the Adams/Wabash stop?
Because you will be in the extreme eastern part of HP, you are much better served by the express buses (#6, X28, whatever). No one in east HP takes the #55/Green Line combo. If you were way west in HP, close to Cottage Grove or Drexel that might be an option, but not for where you will be staying.

The #6 moves during rush hour. LSD traffic is further north than where the #6 will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago