Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 12,922 times

Advertisements

My first thread here – thanks for your input.

Any comments on Albany Park / Ravenswood Manor?

My wife and I are considering a houses around the Whipple/Lawrence. There are few listings in the 4700 blocks of Whipple and Sacramento. Is it safe? What about recent property values and longer-term potential?
My wife likes to stroller with the kids a lot. R-Manor seems great, but what about the immediate area -- are there parts she should avoid?
I believe Sacramento is technically in R-Manor and it’s school system, whereas Whipple is in Albany Park. Thoughts on how two identical houses (assume they were even possible) on these blocks would differ?

We currently live in the Wicker Park. We love *everything* about Wicker Park, but would like to buy a bigger house than we can afford there. We know we aren’t going to find another “Wicker Park.” Our main interest is finding a place that is equally safe, has some small amount of resale value down the road, and has friendly neighbors. We’re typical white yuppies and enjoy the diversity of the city, but would not consider ourselves “urban pioneers.” We’re looking in the $450-550K range.

Are there other neighborhoods you’d recommend?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,819,814 times
Ravenswood Manor is actually in Albany Park as well, and the line is Sacramento. Years ago people said to buy east of Kedzie, but the housing quality drops off pretty quickly once you get west of Sacramento. Albany Park does have some rougher spots, but Ravenswood Manor isn't one of them. I'd say it's safer than Wicker Park by a significant margin. Great neighborhood. But of course, the closer you get to the east the better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago