Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times

Advertisements

Rent sounds pretty good to me (I've been living in the area for over six years). Get those plastic kits to cover the windows in the winter.

On a personal note, I love dishwashers, but it has never been a 'make it or break it' part of what I look for in an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
Oh, dishwashers... Of all the stupid mistakes I've made while renting (and I've made every last one) that was the dumbest. I lived in a very old home on the southside for a semester, and never had to use the damn thing. When I finally did, one night after a party, it flooded my entire floor. I think I cried, it was so bad.

And did you know that many dishwasher deteregents are strikingly similar to peroxide? It literally ate the carpeting and bleached the wood.

So, my advice: if it's an older building that's suspiciously cheap, for the love of god get the thing fixed before you use it. Oftentimes, "washers" of any kind in older buildings haven't been updated, so you end up with machinery from earlier times that you can't even find parts for.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
I'm clearly late to this discussion, but figured my two cents might still be useful.

It's the parking spots that make that place a good deal. Otherwise I'd call it overpriced. But honestly, unless they're garage spots, the difference between that and street parking with a permit (like some streets in the neighborhood are) is pretty minimal.

Maybe my situation can help: I am a stone's throw from six corners (so a slightly better location, if only for the distance to the el) in a 1 bed + office on the 2nd floor of the coach house that's got a very vintage feel and almost no counter space in the kitchen and no parking spot but a dishwasher and a w/d and we pay $1200.

You just have to decide what's really important to you. Do you want the 3rd bedroom? How important are those parking spots? If you'd rather have other amenities -- like the dw, keep looking.

There is almost no way you'll find a place for $1200 with a w/d in unit though -- that was a very unexpected luxury at our place that is essentially unheard of that price point.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It's the parking spots that make that place a good deal. Otherwise I'd call it overpriced. But honestly, unless they're garage spots, the difference between that and street parking with a permit (like some streets in the neighborhood are) is pretty minimal.
My thoughts, too. If you drive a lot, this is a huge incentive.

OP: Will you have roommates?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM

45 posts, read 112,048 times
Yeah, I'll have 1 roommate.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There is almost no way you'll find a place for $1200 with a w/d in unit though -- that was a very unexpected luxury at our place that is essentially unheard of that price point.
My rent - $0 on a 3 story house for my 9 bmx, 7 road, 2 mtn, 1 single speed fixie bikes! No dryer, but washer and ultra efficient HVAC. Plus I get permit parking in front and I can always park my car or minivan in front of my house because of this!

My next door neighbors rent $1000 for a basement and $2100 for the 1st & 2nd floors.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 130,683 times
Default Is this a fair rent in Wicker Park?

I'm looking at a 3 bed 1 bath apt that's pretty big (around 1300-1500 sq feet), located on Wolcott a few blocks north of division, with parking, dishwasher, and washer/dryer in unit. Central AC not sure what type of heat, but I think it's gas forced since I didn't notice any radiators. The 3rd bed is small so we'll prob use it as a den or office. It's in pretty good shape. Bigger and a little nicer than most I've looked at, but not a gut rehab or anything. It's $1500/mo, parking included. The person showing it to me said it's a pretty good deal for the area (I know wicker park, but haven't rented a new place for a while). The place I live in now is $1175 near north/ashland it's a 3 bedroom 1 bath, about same size just diff layout, not as nice, and w/o parking or dishwasher.

Is this really a good deal? Don't want to get ripped off.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
You are going to be for some huge heating bills if heat is not included.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM

67 posts, read 207,919 times
I would call that an decent deal, if it's really that big.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM

33 posts, read 130,683 times
Ouch, heat isn't included. The windows looked newer, but I guess it is a pretty big place. I only had one real big heating bill at current place, and it was because our thermostat broke and the heater ran on full blast nonstop until we figured it out.

Think it will really be that big of a deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: