Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's nutty to compare guns to books in this manner.

Yes, I said "interpret". There are quite a few people out there who have interpreted the Second Ammendment to apply only to organized militias.
Those people are wrong.

Quote:
I did not make this up, nor do I necessarily agree with this interpretation. And the Supreme Court has also not gone along with this interpretation. But a different Supreme Court could overturn this precedent, even if it seems illogical. That was my only point.
I know you aren't making this up, but the Supreme Court has ruled on this as have most states.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I know you aren't making this up, but the Supreme Court has ruled on this as have most states.
Yeah, I already said that. No need for that conjunction there.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
All of these Charles Bronson wannabes who think they can defend themselves against all manor of criminal attack by carrying a handgun in a holster are really really hilarious to me. Who the **** do they think they are? Not everyone is Rambo or a Navy SEAL. I think they just watched too many Westerns growing up or something. It's just laughable.
I think you are buying into the anti gun hype that a person cannot defend themselves with a firearm. It happens many times each day, mostly without the gun being fired, but not always.

I know, personally, at least a dozen people that have prevented themselves form being a victim of a crime by using a firearm.

You don't need to be a SEAL or Rambo to use a gun. That's the point . The average housewife, the guy in a mall parking lot, the man at a store, all of these people can defend themselves with a firearm.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
The Equalizer.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Equalizer.

YouTube - The Equalizer intro

Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
I know, personally, at least a dozen people that have prevented themselves form being a victim of a crime by using a firearm.
Half a dozen, eh? Right. Gun totin' Florida vegetarians eh?

You're not from around here, right?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
sounds like berlin 1936

Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Then you would know he had a gun. If he was drunk, then he would be arrested. Pretty simple to me.
The Chinese say that if something seems simple that means that you probably do not know everything about it....
What if you could not see a gun, than all is fine I guess?
The point is I do not think a lot of people would be responsible enough to leave guns at home when they go out to drink. A lof of people would play with guns when they drunk the same way they tend to race they cars when they drunk.

Quote:
Two things. First, there is time to protect your family if you are prepared. I know that from personal experience.
Prepared? What, should I sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow?
This is not an old John Wayne movie, you know. It is 2009. XXI century...

[quote=Lilybeans;8690099] Secondly, I think the nutcases you are refrring to are called citizens.[/quotes]

And some of those citizens commit crimes and some are real nutcases, what is your point? I just do not trust the general population with guns.
Even those who have access to guns today 'cause too much trouble.

Quote:
Good grief. If someone points a gun at you what would you do? Call the cops? I guarantee that my .45 will arrive on the scene faster than a policeman can get there.
No. I'd play James Bond and pull out mine in 0.03 seconds. Of course I'd carry mine loaded with safety off, right in my belt, just in case
Realistically now, I'd probably have my head blown off...

Quote:
Now, if you think banning guns will solve the problem, I'm assuming that you mean banning all guns. That includes the police, right? Because the day guns are banned, no one will have them. Am I correct in that?
No, you are not. The police, military, hunters and sportsmen need them and should have them. Europe has been doing this for a long time. It's not like we are inventing the wheel, here.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
All of these Charles Bronson wannabes who think they can defend themselves against all manor of criminal attack by carrying a handgun in a holster are really really hilarious to me. Who the **** do they think they are? Not everyone is Rambo or a Navy SEAL. I think they just watched too many Westerns growing up or something. It's just laughable.
It would be if they weren't so serious about it. So many Rambos out there... Most of them wouldn't hit a man from 50 feet and would probably put other people in danger while attempting to do so. Jeez. Shooting a gun in traget practice is not the same as discharging a lethal weapon in a split second adrenaline enhanced situation. .

Last edited by dementor; 05-07-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I think you are buying into the anti gun hype that a person cannot defend themselves with a firearm. It happens many times each day, mostly without the gun being fired, but not always.

You don't need to be a SEAL or Rambo to use a gun. That's the point . The average housewife, the guy in a mall parking lot, the man at a store, all of these people can defend themselves with a firearm.
When you have a gun pointed at you there is not much of a defense you can do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago