Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,621 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of Chicago on June 30th/July 1st to either RI or MA. My car registration ends on June 30th. I do not want to register my car in Chicago for another year, but will not be able to register it in RI/MA until the first week of July. I don't feel comfortable driving around for a week without a valid car registration and I am worried that RI/MA will give me difficulty registering a car with expired registration. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it possible to get a temporary registration in Chicago for a month? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,480 times
Uhm... well, considering they don't know when your registration expires in IL, you won't have a problem. When you go to the DMV to apply for title and plates, you just need to bring your title. Not the old registration. Personally I would just drive for the week. If you get pulled over (which you probably won't), just tell them you're in the process of moving and are going to register it the next day.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,848 times
I wouldn't worry about it. I sure as hell wouldn't give this State another $99. Your registration is still valid, it's just expired. Just like your drivers license can be expired in IL for a year and it's still technically valid, just expired status. There's a big difference between "expired" and "not valid" as it relates to license and registration. You'll be fine.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 AM

622 posts, read 1,197,195 times
don't park on the street during that week! you'll get a ticket fairly quickly.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Hipiap, where did you get your legal information from? In IL. at most it's a ticket, and if I'm the one stopping you, 90% of the time it's a warning unless it's extremely expired. In IL. it will NOT be impounded and there will be no D/L suspension.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 23,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Hipiap, where did you get your legal information from? In IL. at most it's a ticket, and if I'm the one stopping you, 90% of the time it's a warning unless it's extremely expired. In IL. it will NOT be impounded and there will be no D/L suspension.
I'd bet its someone with experience in LEO from out of state.

I agree that CPD and CCSPO are probably not going to go to that extreme...but some municipalities Live and Die off their Citation and Impound Revenue.

WTH? that post just vanished...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 PM

Ha, it did just disappear! Of course I can't speak for other States laws, but I couldn't possibly imagine any State has a law of impound with a vehicle having a few day expired out of state plates while in transit to a new location. Again, there is a big difference between expired and not valid. I would suggest the OP keeps all the paperwork related to them relocating. If by some chance they get pulled over (and solely for the registration, not speeding, etc), just be very polite, explain the situation and show the documentation of the move and I'd be willing to bet a paycheck you'll get a "have a safe trip" warning and be on your way.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,621 times
Thank you all of your advice! It was very helpful.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM

199 posts, read 618,700 times
You shouldn't have any problem. I moved to California in January with Illinois plates that expired on 12/31. I did get pulled over by a California Highway Patrolman who asked me if I was aware that my Illinois plates had expired. I told him my situation and he recommended that I go to the DMV ASAP and get my vehicle registered before the end of January. No ticket or warning just a "have a safe trip". Got my Cal plates the same week!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 10,798 times
If you get pulled over in RI with expired plates (regardless of their origin), the car will be impounded on the spot. Happened to my friend - they are not lenient here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago