Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

I live about 4 blocks away and it's pretty good. It's still the city of Chicago and sh*t happens, but the worst thing to happen to me personally is someone breaking the glass on my car window. Of course, you do hear about murders in the neighborhood, but murders happen all over, and there are some gang presence, but not at all like it was 10-15 years ago. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrkerme View Post
I have read post but not to much about East Village. I found a place near Huron and Racine, right by 90/94.. Its this area safe? At Night? any information would be great!!!!
Huron and Racine is not in the neighborhood of East Village. It is in the neighborhood of West Town.

Some people around there call the Huron and Racine area Eckhart Park.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
West Town is the larger neighborhood area, East Village falls within West Town, as does Ukrainian Village.

East "Village" is East "Ukrainian Village", and Huron and Racine is East Village. Eckhart Park is nearby but nobody calls the neighborhood that.
Uh no. East Village is the shortened name for East Ukrainian Village aka the eastern portion of Ukrainian Village. Whatever you prefer to call it neither East Village, East Ukrainian Village, nor Ukrainian Village go east of Ashland or south of Chicago Ave.

Look at all the Italian businesses on Grand and in the area you are trying to call East Village.

There are plenty of people that call that area Eckhart Park.Go down there and ask.

West Town is not a "larger neighborhood" it is a community area named after the neighborhood of West Town in which Huron and Racine is part of.

Big fail there Gioobag.

IrishTom backup please?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
IrishTom backup please?
My daughter lives in that neighborhood around Noble and Erie but I'm damned if I know what they call it. But Racine is WAY east of that Ukrainian neighborhood.

I like the neighborhood, I thought about moving there but my wife likes the Lake.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 AM

760 posts, read 1,271,614 times
East Village is a neighborhood in NYC. I hate it when Chicago tries to emulate NYC. We are not NY. I remember a few years back I heard people refer to the South Loop as SoLo. Thank god it didn't catch on.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
My daughter lives in that neighborhood around Noble and Erie but I'm damned if I know what they call it. But Racine is WAY east of that Ukrainian neighborhood...
That is good enough.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
...I remember a few years back I heard people refer to the South Loop as SoLo. Thank god it didn't catch on.
SoLo?

OhNo.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 AM

Haha. You trust Yelp for proper,true,and UNbiased info and furthermore you use it to validate your claims? Lmao.

If you think East Village goes east of Ashland you are transplant that does not know their ass from a hole in the ground. That also goes for anyone that lives east of Ashland that claims they live in East (Ukrainian) Village or Wicker Park for that matter.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
...I don't know where you came up with that Ashland eastern boundary either....
Anyone that knows anything about Chicago knows Ashland is the border between East Ukrainian Village and Noble Square as well as between Wicker Park and Noble Square.

I bet you are one of those goofs that thinks Cortland and California is "West Bucktown."

Anything south of Chicago Ave in those parts is West Town-the neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
You should know better, by now, than to think I would post something that is either wrong or untrue.

here you go: south of Chicago Ave.

Sts. Volodymyr & Olha Ukrainian Catholic Church - Ukrainian Village - Chicago, IL

I don't know where you came up with that Ashland eastern boundary either. Nobody says: "I live in Eckhart Park". Nobody. They say "East Village".

That's what I said too.
What does Sts. Volodymyr & Olha Ukrainian Catholic Church have to do with East Ukrainian Village?

That church is not in East Ukrainian Village at all. NOT EVEN CLOSE. 2245 West Superior Street!!! That is a block in a half southeast of Humboldt Park neighborhood!!!

If anything it is in (western portion of) Ukrainian Village or West Town. (The southern boundary of Ukrainian Village is disputed) some people claim it is Chicago Ave others claim it is Grand Ave. I go with Chicago Ave as do most others.

The original St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Catholic Church was constructed in 1911 as the Evangelical Lutheran St. Peters Congregational Church. Later on it was converted into a Ukrainian Church and a new building was built between 1971-1973 as some Ukrainians fled south away from Puerto Ricans that moved into Wicker Park,Humboldt Park,Noble Square,Bucktown,Ukrainian Village,West Town and East Ukrainian Village in the 50's to the 60's.

The area south of Chicago Ave is NOT in an area that was historically for a long period of time filled with Ukrainians. The area it was built in had many Germans and then Italians for a very long period of time. It is also not it the Ukrainian Village Historical District.

You failed again.

Keep looking at Google maps thinking they have the correct boundaries for neighborhoods.

What a joke.

Keep pretending you know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-22-2009 at 02:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago