Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 AM

21 posts, read 59,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Either East Village or Noble Square depending on what side of Ashland you are on (but it really all blends together). It isn't Ukrainian village (too far east) or Wicker Park (too far south).
Thanks for the info. We'll be on Superior just east of Ashland, so which side does that put us on?

Have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewRock View Post
Thanks for the info. We'll be on Superior just east of Ashland, so which side does that put us on?

Have a great weekend!
That puts you on the south side of Chicago Ave. I don't think that part of West Town has a nickname. As you probably know, Ukrainian Village, Noble Square, Wicker Park, Bucktown, East Village and River West are all part of West Town.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
According to what I found from the ICM properties website:
"Ukrainian Village

Ukrainian Village is located between Division Street south to Superior Street and from Western Avenue east to Ashland Avenue. Originally developed by Ukrainian immigrants at the turn of the century the area is still has strong ethnic ties to the old neighborhood. There are still the old-school bakeries and delis as well as many new, trendy restaurants. The majority of the homes are 3 flat buildings with character and unique designs, as well as new construction from condo buildings to single family homes.

Transportation
CTA Blue Line - Division Station"

I love this area. I have a wealthy distant relative who bought a home here and I'm so jealous of him.

Good luck with your new place.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Just a tip of advice based on personal experience. Don't rent from ICM

Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Just a tip of advice based on personal experience. Don't rent from ICM
Just to set the record straight, I have no affiliation with ICM, nor have I ever done business with them. I just thought their website with descriptions of different areas in Chicago was helpful.

Dare I ask what happened so I know why to avoid them?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 118,494 times
I used to live right around there -- about 4 doors down from Betty's Blue Star Lounge at Grand and Ashland for 2 years, and then another 2 years a little further away at Chicago and Milwaukee. I am very familar with this area, but have not lived there for ~3 years, and neighborhoods change quite a bit.

First of all, you will absolutely LOVE how close you are to the expressway. Just go north on Ashland, right on North, and you are at 90/94. If you have any friends or work in the suburbs, they will love you for this.

The parking is very good too. I never had a problem parking in that neighborhood. I told my girlfriend the first time she visited me that you could park a 18 wheeler in that neighborhood (either one) and you would still have parking.

In terms of restaurants, there is a good number of restaurants -- there is a J. Patricks (Irish grub, kinda upscale) at Erie and Noble (I believe -- it's east of Ashland, north of Ohio). There are a number of decent restaurants on Grand Avenue west of Halsted. One of my favorite Mexican places in Chicago is just south of Division on Ashland. The name is slipping my mind right now, but it butts up against the Pizza Hut at Divison/Ashland. (ugh!)

Sip Coffee shop is pretty nice place to chill out. It's changed a LOT since I used to live around there. They used to be the only indie coffeeshop in the area, and when Starbucks moved in about 200 yards away, instead of closing up, they expanded. They are HUGE now. Free WiFi. I went there about 1.5 years ago and was absolutely floored by the new size.

Across the street from Sip is a very good burger place -- Twisted Spoke. They have an awesome patio that does very well in the summer. The burgers are VERY good. It has spectacular views of downtown, and it's pretty much walking distance from where you will be living.

In terms of safety, I will say that it is relatively safe. As with any parts of Chicago, you need to be aware and think smart. I got my car broken into once because I left CDs in plain view and left the face plate to my CD player in the car (when I could have removed it). That is one break-in in the 4 years I lived around there. I blame myself for that. Just clear out your car, walk smart, and you will be OK. There is crime in Chicago.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
j33

chitownabs - I believe you are referring to La Pasadita, best steak tacos in town.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 PM

16 posts, read 118,494 times
Yes, thank you. I could not remember their name to save my life.

and yes, I absolutely LOVE their burritos, tacos, and (free) chips with salsa.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 PM

21 posts, read 59,462 times
Thanks to everyone for the information about my new neighborhood. I'm very excited to move. I rode the blue line and walked around a bit the other day, and it looks like there are a lot of great places...Flo, Green Zebra, and some really delicious looking Mexican places just north along Ashland.

As for the crime, I'm not too worried. We're used to urban living - we've lived in Uptown since we got to Chicago last summer. If anything, the new neighborhood seems a little quieter than Uptown. We've also lived in urban neighborhoods New York, Atlanta, and New Orleans, so being streetwise is nothing new to us

The only thing I can see that will be tough is the apparent lack of green space. I think I saw one park along Chicago between Ashland and the expressway. But, everything is a tradeoff.

Once again, thanks everybody!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
j33

Union Park is a huge park about 6 blocks south of Chicago and Ashland (at Randolph and Ashland), you can always go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago