Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And jerks that wear those goddam ballcaps indoors should have them stapled to their heads.

This topic shows the breakdown of civility in our society, people are so self centered they think any standard of behavior or dress is an infringment on their freedom to be a jerk.

Nice restuarants and lounges should enforce dress codes; for men nice slacks, leather shoes and a sports jacket. I worked all my life in dungarees, work shoes and Carhartts and I don't need to see people dressed like that in a nice joint.

An interesting topic would be why middle class, white collar adults feel the need to go out in dungarees, T-shirts, gym shoes and faux work jackets. Peter Pan?
Agreed with you and the OP! If not a dinner jacket, at least business casual. Too many people go to nice restaurants, the theatre, etc. dressed like slobs.

Re the Signature Lounge - it's a nice place to go for a romantic night out and do pre-dinner drinks. Sure, the cocktails are a few bucks more than average but you pay for the spectacular view. I just can't stand the tourists that treat it like it's the observation deck and crowd your table trying to take pictures. I wouldn't pay a premium to eat in the restaurant though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM

121 posts, read 323,072 times
Restaurants tend not to be choosey in a recession.

And it's part of a general trend. How many restaurants in Manhattan still require more than just jeans, let alone jackets? I can't think of a single one that is under $150 a plate.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,431,200 times
I’m not sure why either but I usually make it a point to go somewhere that I can dress up and my husband almost always wears a jacket.

Some people just don’t know any better and the rest don’t care. To each their own.

Someone did mention to me once about all the grown men in Chicago wearing sports jersey. I thought they were kidding at the time. I’m not sure what is worse grown men in Jerseys or grown men in Abercrombie & Fitch.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And jerks that wear those goddam ballcaps indoors should have them stapled to their heads.

This topic shows the breakdown of civility in our society, people are so self centered they think any standard of behavior or dress is an infringment on their freedom to be a jerk.

Nice restuarants and lounges should enforce dress codes; for men nice slacks, leather shoes and a sports jacket. I worked all my life in dungarees, work shoes and Carhartts and I don't need to see people dressed like that in a nice joint.

An interesting topic would be why middle class, white collar adults feel the need to go out in dungarees, T-shirts, gym shoes and faux work jackets. Peter Pan?
What are dungarees?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
On a related topic, has anyone seen the hilarious dress code sign in front of the bar/bowling alley (at least I think it's a bowling alley) that is connected to AMC River East. It should have just said "no young black dudes from the city". Not that I blame them -- just surprised they had the nerve to be so direct.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:20 PM

At the outlet mall here they have a dress code they enforce.

Appropriate attire at all times. Shirt and shoes are required - No exposed underwear, hats worn backwards, dew rags, baggy pants below waist, brimless hats, bandanas, or gang colors. |

People got all pissy and brought out the race card and eventually a lawsuit.

I'm not sure what has come of it but they still enforce it.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
The sign at River East looks something like that. It is particularly striking
1) because in Chicago political correctness usually dominates at the most public level of discourse
2) because the establishment is pretty upscale (vs. an outlet mall).
It made me chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
At the outlet mall here they have a dress code they enforce.

Appropriate attire at all times. Shirt and shoes are required - No exposed underwear, hats worn backwards, dew rags, baggy pants below waist, brimless hats, bandanas, or gang colors. |

People got all pissy and brought out the race card and eventually a law suit.

I'm not sure what has come of it but they still enforce it.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM

202 posts, read 763,489 times
I'm a guy in my late 20s and whenever I go out with my girlfriend, anywhere that involves eating somewhere I need to leave a tip, I bring a jacket. She makes fun of me about it, but there is something about wearing one, especially always seeing my dad put one on when he took my mom out, that makes me feel it is just appropriate. Now, I would never look down on someone else who did not do so, and I think I am one of very few people in my age range who wear a jacket out, and I doubt those people are ever going to start wearing a jacket. I would also like it if me wore hats out as well, which is something I do quite a bit, even walking the dog.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
I'm a guy in my late 20s and whenever I go out with my girlfriend, anywhere that involves eating somewhere I need to leave a tip, I bring a jacket. She makes fun of me about it, but there is something about wearing one, especially always seeing my dad put one on when he took my mom out, that makes me feel it is just appropriate. Now, I would never look down on someone else who did not do so, and I think I am one of very few people in my age range who wear a jacket out, and I doubt those people are ever going to start wearing a jacket. I would also like it if me wore hats out as well, which is something I do quite a bit, even walking the dog.
Yeah, this is something that usually correlates with your upbringing.

I don't look down on people who don't dress up either. As long as they are clean and don't smell its fine with me.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM

414 posts, read 885,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yeah and why don't people ride horses around the city anymore -- it gives them such an air of distinction.
Oh god...I almost fell out of my chair I laughed so hard.

As for dinner jackets...sure good idea...remind me to wear one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago