Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 49,677 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from Miami to Chicago in July and as of yesterday when it started gettin chilly, I've started to mind what I'm going to be needing for winter when it comes to clothes.

Some bio stats for me is 5'4 male, 125 pounds, 24 yrs old........................

I want to know whether i should purchase a down parka, jacket, etc. thermal gear.....winter boots....what do you all suggest I buy to keep up with the harsh winter weather.....I'm thinking of buying it online but if theres is a cheap place here in Chicago I can purchase everything I'll need I would appreaciate all your suggestions....but for the moment I'm just lost as to what I really need....the essentials and also supplementary gear....what is it that Chicagoans have in their winter closet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
in general, if youve never had a winter wardrobe, youll want

sweaters
heavy jacket
gloves
hat
scarf
you may want boots so you dont mess up your good shoes
if you think you'll be outside for a long time, maybe long underwear

some sort of intermediate jacket/fleece comes in handy for these spring/fall transition months. you dont want to be wearing a heavy parka when its 55 out, but you'll probably want something.

i will say i like lands end for their jackets/parkas, and their prices are very reasonable for the quality.
Men's Clothing > Outerwear - Lands' End (http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,62,00.html - broken link)
the squall parka is prob a good bet

Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Never underestimate the power of long underwear, especially the bottom half where there are fewer realistic "layering" opportunities than there are for the top half of your body. Bundling up to the hilt is only so effective when a biting wind rips right through that single layer of fabric over your legs. Another layer beneath your pants can make a big difference.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Also, I would get a long down coat (i.e., below the butt). It gets really cold. Also, this goes without saying, but several good thick sets of gloves, hat, and scarf. As they suggested, long underwear, good thick socks. I would also get some boots (to wear too and from work in the snow). And the other basic....lots of sweaters, thick pants, etc

Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Mia-Chi_CNXN View Post
I recently moved from Miami to Chicago in July and as of yesterday when it started gettin chilly, I've started to mind what I'm going to be needing for winter when it comes to clothes.

Some bio stats for me is 5'4 male, 125 pounds, 24 yrs old........................

I want to know whether i should purchase a down parka, jacket, etc. thermal gear.....winter boots....what do you all suggest I buy to keep up with the harsh winter weather.....I'm thinking of buying it online but if theres is a cheap place here in Chicago I can purchase everything I'll need I would appreaciate all your suggestions....but for the moment I'm just lost as to what I really need....the essentials and also supplementary gear....what is it that Chicagoans have in their winter closet???

Jeeez good thing you moved to Chicago... We need to fatten you up boy, put some meat on those bones, LOL!!! And Chicago is just the place for that! Home of the fatties! j/k

But on a serious note, I have always had good luck with North Face products, Abercrombie coats surprisingly as they are super heavy, leather coats from Wilsons that are made of pig skin because pig is much heavier, and Timberland insulated boots. Also, just learn to dress in layers, ie.; T-shirt, then sweater, then coat. That way if you get into a hot store or if the weather suddenly changes, which it does here all the time, you can just take something off instead of sweating your go nads off.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM

61 posts, read 225,550 times
1. Northface Coat (preferable the 3/4 parka with the fur hood... that fur helps...)
2. some Thermals (top and bottoms)
3. Some thinsulate gloves
4. Thick socks
5. A pair of some good timberlands....

I am not in Chicago yet... but once I'm there in Feb.. thats what I am coming equipped with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Mia-Chi_CNXN View Post

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loufalu View Post
1. Northface Coat (preferable the 3/4 parka with the fur hood... that fur helps...)
2. some Thermals (top and bottoms)
3. Some thinsulate gloves
4. Thick socks
5. A pair of some good timberlands....

I am not in Chicago yet... but once I'm there in Feb.. thats what I am coming equipped with!
And you can leave the umbrella behind!!!
YouTube - Umbrella blizzard LOL! AH, isn't it fun living here? And I love what the guy says at the very end of the video.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM

61 posts, read 225,550 times
and tell me why I moved here again... LOL>... CLASSIC! I'm going to be saying the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
And you can leave the umbrella behind!!!
YouTube - Umbrella blizzard LOL! AH, isn't it fun living here? And I love what the guy says at the very end of the video.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Layers, baby. I do the long underwear thing (especially my Wintersilks... woven silk long underwear. Warm, comfortable, and breathes like a dream). Good socks that wick moisture away from my feet. Boots when the weather sucks. Up top an insulation layer and a shell. Hat. Gloves.

I used to go the nice overcoat route. Now it's outdoor gear all the way.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:56 AM

84 posts, read 428,544 times
How much time are you going to be spending outside? If your longest trips outdoors are an occassional walk from the car to the door of a heated building, you probably don't need to outfit yourself like you're trekking through the Arctic. If you'll be doing a lot of walking, waiting for public transit, etc. then take the above suggestions - layers, good socks and gloves, and decent boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago