Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,946 times

Advertisements

Top 10 Cities for Recent Grads | Gradspot.com

The jewel of the Midwest combines cosmopolitanism with a refreshing dose of hospitality, catering to those who like city life but don't like the "f*&k you, a*^hole!" mentality of places like New York. There are few big cities that are prettier than Chi-Town, which offers a mix of leafy neighborhoods, an architecturally stunning downtown, and a gorgeous lakefront. Tons of bars, live music, and museums keep recent grads entertained, but beware: the winters are not for the faint-hearted.

KEY STATS
Major Industries: Aerospace, finance, and consulting
Climate: Four distinct seasons, but beware of freezing winters (Winter—28°F, Summer—74°F)
Transportation: The 'L' and buses will get you where you need to go (Fare: $2.25)
Avg. Price of a One Bedroom Apartment: $1029*
Closing Time: Su-F 3AM, Sa 4AM
Professional Sports: MLB—White Sox, Cubs; NFL—Bears; NBA—Bulls; NHL—Blackhawks
Famous Foodstuffs: Hotdogs with the works and deep-dish pizza
You'll love it if… you like your big city flavor tempered with a dash of Midwestern hospitality
You’ll be miserable if… you are suspicious of nice people
Best Thing Ever: The coolest architecture in America
Worst Thing Ever: The wind off Lake Michigan

TESTIMONIALS
The two things that stand out about Chicago for me are sports and the arts. The Cubs, Bears, and Bulls are always on the tip of someone's tongue, to the point where its even annoying if you're not into sports. The concert scene is wicked, especially during the summer when there are lots of festivals going on in the parks, a major highlight being the Pitchfork festival which is two days of chill indie rock. The ringer for me is that you can find cheap housing and beer. I'd pay double in New York for the studio I have in Chicago. — Ben Herzberger, store clerk

No matter what you're in to, this city has it all: from extravagant nightlife, to a relaxing night at a theater, or getting together with your friends to engage in social and sports clubs. The best part about Chicago is everyone in the city is about the same age looking to experience the same thing, a great time. — Kelly H., Teacher
Gradspot.com Rating: 95/100

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
Yea, I agree with it. I never found NY'ers to be as rude as their reputation, though. I met a lot of cool and nice people the three times I've spent time in NYC.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post

The jewel of the Midwest combines cosmopolitanism with a refreshing dose of hospitality, catering to those who like city life but don't like the "f*&k you, a*^hole!" mentality of places like New York. There are few big cities that are prettier than Chi-Town, which offers a mix of leafy neighborhoods, an architecturally stunning downtown, and a gorgeous lakefront. Tons of bars, live music, and museums keep recent grads entertained, but beware: the winters are not for the faint-hearted.

KEY STATS
Climate: Four distinct seasons, but beware of freezing winters (Winter—28°F, Summer—74°F)
Transportation: The 'L' and buses will get you where you need to go (Fare: $2.25)
You'll love it if… you like your big city flavor tempered with a dash of Midwestern hospitality

TESTIMONIALS
The two things that stand out about Chicago for me are sports and the arts. The Cubs, Bears, and Bulls are always on the tip of someone's tongue, to the point where its even annoying if you're not into sports. The concert scene is wicked, especially during the summer when there are lots of festivals going on in the parks, a major highlight being the Pitchfork festival which is two days of chill indie rock. The ringer for me is that you can find cheap housing and beer. I'd pay double in New York for the studio I have in Chicago. — Ben Herzberger, store clerk

No matter what you're in to, this city has it all: from extravagant nightlife, to a relaxing night at a theater, or getting together with your friends to engage in social and sports clubs. The best part about Chicago is everyone in the city is about the same age looking to experience the same thing, a great time. — Kelly H., Teacher

Do you agree?
That sterotype of NY'ers being rude, is beyond inaccurate! 'If' you EVER spend anytime there, you'll see what I mean. I'd go as far to say, that NY'ers are some of the friendliest and most outgoing 'city' people you'll EVER come across! And they are WAY more welcoming than your 'average' Chicagoan. Who maybe ain't rude, but they are alot more shy, or atleast like to keep to themselves or the crowd they're with.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,170,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
... they are WAY more welcoming than your 'average' Chicagoan. Who maybe ain't rude, but they are alot more shy, or atleast like to keep to themselves or the crowd they're with.
As a life long Chicagoan I would have to (for the most part) agree... people tend to only talk to the people they came with, and they can be cliquey.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM

188 posts, read 605,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Yea, I agree with it. I never found NY'ers to be as rude as their reputation, though. I met a lot of cool and nice people the three times I've spent time in NYC.
I agree. I've never understood the "angry New Yorker" stereotype. I think it's mostly perpetuated by tourists who have a propensity for getting in people's way, who are then inclined to get upset by the locals who get past them without the indulgent "excuse me"s or "pardon me"s that are so prevalent in smaller towns.

I will say, though, that a NY cabbie is not someone to be trifled with. And I don't really blame them - I'd probably be cranky after sitting all day in traffic, too.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:

KEY STATS

TESTIMONIALS

Do you agree?
I do agree with Chicago being a better city than NYC for 20 somethings. That is, for the 'average' 20 something. Just for the fact, Chicago has basically the same things NYC does, at a much lower cost.

But, 'if' that 20 something has a really good paying trade, or profession, I'd say that NYC is better (alot more fun that's for sure). And Chicago is actually better for 30 somethings, who have moved on from the party scene, and are ready to settle down and start a family. Chicago is alot more of a realistic city to live in, compared with NYC. And the standard of living in Chicago is alot more on par with the rest of America, compared to NYC.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I agree. I've never understood the "angry New Yorker" stereotype. I think it's mostly perpetuated by tourists who have a propensity for getting in people's way, who are then inclined to get upset by the locals who get past them without the indulgent "excuse me"s or "pardon me"s that are so prevalent in smaller towns.

I will say, though, that a NY cabbie is not someone to be trifled with. And I don't really blame them - I'd probably be cranky after sitting all day in traffic, too.
Don't forget, alot of those "tourist", might be from 'small town' America, which NYC is obviousily alot different than. What 'those' tourist would considered to be "rude", most of us would probably just consider to be 'big city' living.

Personally, Las Vegas has some of the nastiest taxi drivers that I've EVER came across. There's been times that I didn't even want to tip them...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:55 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
The best part about Chicago is everyone in the city is about the same age looking to experience the same thing, a great time. — Kelly H., Teacher
^Obviously someone who spends all her time in Wrigleyville, Lakeview, or Lincoln Park.

There's so much more to Chicago than that.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Andrew I thought the exact same thing. What kind of tool thinks everyone in this city of 3 million people is the same age and looking for the same thing?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Andrew I thought the exact same thing. What kind of tool thinks everyone in this city of 3 million people is the same age and looking for the same thing?
I guess that 'great minds' think alike, cause I was going to comment on that to. I'd say the lakefront nabes are alot different than the ones further inland. The lakefront is more geared towards the young and single, as opposed to the more family oriented ones inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago