Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 AM

10 posts, read 47,854 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago in about a week for a new job. Based on as much research as I can do remotely, it seems like something Lakeview with walking access to the Brown Line (which runs directly to the building in the Loop where my office will be) would be my best bet.

Looking to spend no more than around 1100-1200/mo, and if I can get something with most of the utilities included in that price, that'd be great.

Have found lots of posting on Craigslist, but every time I think I found something, some review on apartmentratings.com, yelp, or some other place seems to have 25 bad reviews ("Run away, dead rats! No heat all winter!").

Can someone recommend a place they've stayed in Lakeview near the Brown line for the price listed? Size doesn't matter; a 400sq ft. studio would be ok, long as it's decent and safe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 PM

198 posts, read 822,859 times
Try looking for condo rentals. They are especially good when you are on a budget because they often include heat and water. I have shown a number of rental condos to a client in Lakeview recently and they were mostly large studios in your price range but they were updated, included heat and water and a couple had nice health clubs and pools the use of which was also included in the price. One even had an in-unit washer/dryer and that is super rare in your price range. Most were close to the red line, not the brown line because they were a block or two off the lakefront. The units closer to the brown line in your price range will be in older buildings or flats but there are a few nice conversions of vintage buildings that have rentals from time to time but many of those do not include heat. Once you are in the loop, no matter what line you enter on, you can transfer at certain points to other lines, plus the exits for the red/blue lines run underground down the center of the loop while the brown/orange/green/purple lines loop the outside - you are almost always only a few blocks away from any of the lines no matter where you are in the loop and there are underground paths if you are close to the Daley center that will save you from going outside much in the winter.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,664,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablote View Post
I'm moving to Chicago in about a week for a new job. Based on as much research as I can do remotely, it seems like something Lakeview with walking access to the Brown Line (which runs directly to the building in the Loop where my office will be) would be my best bet...
You do know you can take the Red Line and transfer trains to the Brown Line at the Belmont station right?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM

149 posts, read 454,956 times
I would highly recommend against going into an apartment complex at that price. I'm in an $1150 apartment right now and it is 450 sq ft and dealing with Beal Properties is not fun (they are not bad, just very by the letter/non-friendly). Plus, there are tons and tons of homes for rent in the area. Just walk up and down Roscoe, School, and Henderson between Racine & Southport. There's about 6 places in that price range. The one's I walked through were all pretty nice. In fact, the duplex I'm moving on Belmont/Southport has a coachhouse that is about 900 sq ft and very nice for only $925.

The key is walking the neighborhood. It is worth spending a morning doing it.

Also, just my opinion, but you may also want to explore further north to Lincoln Square too. There are even better deals up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago