Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 10,355 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I am a single 40 yr old professional female moving to Chicago. May I please get some advice on areas to live? I need access to the EL or Metra in order to commute to downtown weekly, but will also be flying twice a month for business. I'm looking for social opportunities as well as safe neigborhoods, as I know absolutely NO ONE in Chicago.

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by 40yrsyoungfemale; 02-12-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,982,372 times
I lived in Boston until 2005. Tell us what neighborhood(s) in Boston you liked? Also a price range would be helpful.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,869,835 times
Also, will you typically fly out of O'Hare or Midway?

Do you want to approximate the scale and walkability of a typical Boston rowhouse neighborhood?

Chicago's housing is a little bit cheaper than Boston's, so you might be pleasantly surprised about what you can afford here. However, most Chicago low-rise neighborhoods feel wide-open compared to Boston's. In grad school we used to measure and diagram the "street section" (facade height, setbacks, sidewalk width, curbs, street width, etc.) of various cities across the world, and Boston had more compact, pedestrian-friendly streets than nearly all other U.S. cites. There are just a few neighborhoods in Chicago that even approach this urban feel--though Chicago probably offers the highest low-rise density east of the Appalachians, with the possible exception of San Francisco.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 18,105 times
Default Red Sox fan to Cubs fan

Sorry, All I have is GO CUBS and my brother lived in Linclon Park area, very nice.
Thanks,
Kent

Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM

328 posts, read 1,399,462 times
Default A friend from Boston

A friend of mine from Boston moved here about 8 months ago. He sold his 1BR/1BA Condo in the South End of Boston and was able to buy a 2BR/2BA here with a parking space with the same amount of money.

He chose to live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park (right along Diversey).

I think your best bets, as a single woman in her 40's, would be more of a Lincoln Park/Gold Coast Neighborhood. You definitely will get more bang for your buck here, apartment/condo-wise, and parking is less of a nightmare (so says my friend from Boston).

If you have any more questions, I would be glad to pass them onto him...he is so much happier, he loved the summer here and says that people are much friendlier...I would consider that, considering we met in a bar when he my friend was trying to pick him up...and he became a good part of our circle of friends!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,869,835 times
But if the OP wants to take the train to O'Hare on a frequent basis, Bucktown or Wicker Park might work out better than a lakefront neighborhood.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Wow! Let me just start by remarking that Bostonians would rarely be so helpful! I'm originally from St. Louis and I can't wait to get back to the friendly Mid-West. Thank you very much for your suggestions thus far. Here is a bit more information:

-Sukwoo, I currently live in Newton, but love the South End and Back Bay. (Too $$ for my wallet.) I don't want to be house poor.

-Parking is a must, preferably with a garage.

-I need access to the Metra in order to travel to Milwuakee for business trips

-I LOATHE THE RED SOX AND THE PATRIOTS!! (Cardinals fan...sorry Cubbies)

-I'm undecided as to renting or buying due to several variables: the economy, unfamiliarity of Chicago, expected time in the area.

-My biggest priority next to housing is meeting friends, not necessarily dating per se, though certainly that's intriguing as well! I'll be working out of a home office. I need mental stimulation!

Thank you! Thank God for the Mid-West!!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But if the OP wants to take the train to O'Hare on a frequent basis, Bucktown or Wicker Park might work out better than a lakefront neighborhood.
What an OP????

Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,697,371 times
Quote:
(Cardinals fan...sorry Cubbies)

I love you. That is all.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,697,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yrsyoungfemale View Post
What an OP????
OP= Original poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago