Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times

Advertisements

I actually like graffiti in urban areas, make the city feel more real. I'm talking about the art form, not the gang tags. I seen several Latin King tags in Harvey in the east section around 158th & Halsted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I actually like graffiti in urban areas, make the city feel more real. I'm talking about the art form, not the gang tags. I seen several Latin King tags in Harvey in the east section around 158th & Halsted.
I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion but I doubt you'll find many people that would agree with you in appreciating graffiti. It's vandalism and destruction of property, period, end of story. It's not artistic expression or some other BS excuse/justification that someone might try to use.

How would you like to walk out to your car some morning and find some graffiti 'artist' decided to alter your paint job for you?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion but I doubt you'll find many people that would agree with you in appreciating graffiti. It's vandalism and destruction of property, period, end of story. It's not artistic expression or some other BS excuse/justification that someone might try to use.

How would you like to walk out to your car some morning and find some graffiti 'artist' decided to alter your paint job for you?
Well I wouldn't like it, but the odds of that ever happening is very slim. Most graffiti(the art version) I seen are on trains and on side of buildings(sometime abandon) or in an alley. The ones that like to tag on people garages, fence, or on the side of houses are gang members and most likely be gang tags.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:

While I agree with you the OP may try London where Banksy's stuff has been lauded as an art form and is now protected from destruction by the government. The stuff he did in New Orleans recently is very apropos as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It's cool when it was done with permission, or even as a comissioned work of art. It's not cool when it's illegal and someone's property, or even public property is destroyed.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:

The code is not to do Private property, cars, or places of worship.
If you see this, it's gang graffiti.
And a wall with graffiti is much better then a plain, bland, old wall.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
And a wall with graffiti is much better then a plain, bland, old wall.
Unless the owner wants it to be a plain, bland, old wall.

Venom, you know what's interesting? We have worked with a public arts group which has installed and repaired many murals, some of them quite famous, around Chicago. I asked one of the staff about grafitti and tagging and she told me that it almost never happens, unless the mural is in an obvious state of deterioration. I guess there's a code, even for gangs, not to tag public art - either that or the gangbangers have a soft spot for art!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Wow shouldn't somebody be in school right now?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Shouldn't somebody shut up right now?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
I love it when you speak to yourself on your own behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago